Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato

Anime, Manga, Tokusatsu, Martial Arts, Culture, ETC.

Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato

Postby TheFallen » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:10 am

I just found out the the late 70's anime Space Battleship Yamato (known as Star Blazers outside of Japan) has been remade/updated. It is called Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and it will be getting an English dub as Star Blazers 2199.

I remember watching Star Blazers as a kid but for some reason I always thought it was part of Robotech until years later that I saw it on DVD. I know there was a live action movie but so far it had only been released with English subs.

Anyone else here a fan?
TheFallen
Bronze Grunt

Re: Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato

Postby Tekwych » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:50 am

I have both seasons of the series and several movies on DVD. There was a live action Yamato recently and this new series is 7 theoretical films that cover the first season again, The trip to Iscandar to save Earth. The new Animation looks great and should begun to watch a new take on the 40 year old concept.

Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Golden Grunt

Postby nick » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Star Blazers was the American repackaging of the Japanese series and was a step for Anime in Japan as well as as a solid step for Anime being shown widely in the USA especially in that it functioned far more as a space opera than a kids show. Lenji Matsumoto was one of the key creators - though I guess that makes things complicated as his other creations like Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express were more entirely created by him leaving this one not in his control. There were a bunch of feature anime films over the years and the recent live action and rebooted animation. The Syd Mead Yamato design is pretty cool from Yamato 2520, which had it's plug pulled. Some American friends did a fan-anime version in the mid 80s that's amusing and was probably the first non-Japanese fans to produce self made fan anime.
nick

Postby nick » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:32 pm

nick wrote:Star Blazers was the American repackaging of the Japanese series and was a step for Anime in Japan as well as as a solid step for Anime being shown widely in the USA especially in that it functioned far more as a space opera than a kids show. Lenji Matsumoto was one of the key creators - though I guess that makes things complicated as his other creations like Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express were more entirely created by him leaving this one not in his control. There were a bunch of feature anime films over the years and the recent live action and rebooted animation. The Syd Mead Yamato design is pretty cool from Yamato 2520, which had it's plug pulled. Some American friends did a fan-anime version in the mid 80s that's amusing and was probably the first non-Japanese fans to produce their own anime.
nick

Postby Dorkey » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:58 pm

And now, Space Battleship Yamato 2202 (宇宙戦艦ヤマト2202).

http://yamato2202.net/
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Return to Far East Connection