Mobile Suit Gundam

Anime, Manga, Tokusatsu, Martial Arts, Culture, ETC.

Mobile Suit Gundam

Postby EDcomics » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Just pictures for now. I got tired, so I'll type something up later. I'm on a big Gundam kick right now, though.

EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Re: Mobile Suit Gundam

Postby Tekwych » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:23 pm

I have a near complete Zeonography and Gundam FIX collection but never got into the models or other lines. I do have most of the anime and OVAs
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Golden Grunt

Postby Ideal » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:27 pm

im really big on the model kits (or at least i used to be), but i havent actually watched any of the anime since Wing
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:55 pm

My latest kick is the result of watching Gundam Unicorn. Unfortunately, there's still one final episode yet to be released (Spring 2014), but the six episodes that are out there are amazing. It may be the best Gundam series out there. I'm not a huge fan of all of the original series, but I think Universal Century has taken over as "my thing," as opposed to the alternate worlds of Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, etc... Anime series like 00 and AGE have disappointed me for various reasons, but the Unicorn OVA is just head and tails above everything else. You have to have at least a little knowledge of the original Gundam and Newtypes in order to understand the story, though.

One of the cool fights from the OVA:

So, on to the toys...

I used to buy the cheap kits and action figures. I have one Fix Figuration (Crossbone Gundam) and two Advances MSIA from SEED. A couple of standard MSIA figures as well, and those are all great. After completing my first HGUC kit, though (Hazel Custom)... I realized that's where the action is. Outside of buying the expensive stuff Tek has (I envy your collection), this is the best I can do, and the results of assembling the kits are worth the time, effort and money. The other day I completed the Unicorn Gundam standard mode, and it looks great. Joints are fantastic. I just need a flight stand for him now.

I have more Unicorn sets stacked up to be built, but I can't seem to let go of the action figure side of things just yet. I just had BBTS ship my first Robot Damashii figures. I'll have some redundant suits, but I look forward to comparing the HGUC kits to the RD figures.

Something for people with a tighter budget would be the Assault Kingdom mini figures. At my local Barnes & Noble, they're priced at $6 each. I think it must be a mistake. In any case, these little guys are great. Tons of articulation for something so small. Even at $10 or $12, these would be well worth it.

BTW, some nice Gundam news over at http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/

The new Gundam Build Fighters anime has just started airing, and Bandai is launching a campaign to release all the main Gundam mobile suit model kits in a new format where all the joints and parts will be interchangeable. The idea is to streamline customization and make it easier for enthusiasts to create their own original mobile suit models. I think it's a great idea, and the higher quality of modern kits will let me build some nice versions of older suits from the earlier series. I still don't have a really solid RX-78, so I'm really waiting for that one.

And for those new to Gundam, the RX-78 is the original Gundam model from the first Mobile Suit Gundam series.

EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Ideal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:29 am

i keep meaning to go by B&N to see what they have in stock, but just never really get the opportunity to do so
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby Ideal » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:31 pm

a bit of Gundam fun

one problem i found with the Perfect Grade Gundams is that there is really nothing around that scale for them to be posed with. the only thing i really had was MP Optimus Prime, and i couldnt think of a good reason to have them fight.

although i guess i could have used a Sentinel or Galactus, now that i think about it. oh well. he looks cool squared off against Metroplex though
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:23 am

EDcomics wrote:My latest kick is the result of watching Gundam Unicorn. Unfortunately, there's still one final episode yet to be released (Spring 2014), but the six episodes that are out there are amazing. It may be the best Gundam series out there. I'm not a huge fan of all of the original series, but I think Universal Century has taken over as "my thing," as opposed to the alternate worlds of Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, etc... Anime series like 00 and AGE have disappointed me for various reasons, but the Unicorn OVA is just head and tails above everything else. You have to have at least a little knowledge of the original Gundam and Newtypes in order to understand the story, though.

I still haven't gotten around to watching the most recent episode. I just found the series to be a bit plodding. The story moves pretty slowly, and I've forgotten most of what came before by the time a new episode is released. The suits and the animation are awesome, though.

I just wish Gundam figures were bigger, in general. The Metal Build figures are the closest thing I've heard of to what I'd be looking for in a Gundam figure. I like big figures of big things, and I've no idea why that's so rare to find. If Bandai would make a figure of Godzilla that was as big as those rotocast vinyls at TRU, but with the mechanics of a Monstarts figure, we'd be in business. Likewise, with Gundam, if they'd have a figure as big (or bigger) and as articulated as the Metal Builds without the diecast (keep the price somewhat reasonable) and more releases to the line, that'd be ideal for me. 4" figures of a 79' robot, though? Doesn't do it for me.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby Ideal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:50 am

JamesLynch wrote: 4" figures of a 79' robot, though? Doesn't do it for me.

thats kind of one of the reasons i pass over the 1/144 scale stuff unless it is a model i just have to have (like the Gundam Astray Red Frame, i have him in 1/144 NG and HG; 1/100 HG, clear HG, and MG; 1/60 PG, and even the SD version)

JamesLynch wrote:if they'd have a figure as big (or bigger) and as articulated as the Metal Builds without the diecast

arent the Metal Build kits only 1/100 scale? pretty much everything i have is 1/100 scale, none diecast. anything you see in the Metal Build series should be found fairly easy as a regular 1/100 scale kit for 1/3 of the price depending on what you are looking for, if not cheaper
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:50 am

Here are some bigger Gundam toys:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jumbo+grade+gundam&oq=jumbo+grade+gundam&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2602j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=jumbo+grade+gundam&tbm=shop

I really regret being cheap and not buying one when they were more like $150 or $200. This is just totally unaffordable for me.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:32 am

This guy got his kids to assemble a 1:12 scale RX-78.
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/robot/kingkizer/rx78.html
I've been hoping to get my hands on a 1:12 scale Zaku, but I think I'll have to wait for my wife to move out before that happens.
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby Ideal » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:01 am

Dorkey wrote:This guy got his kids to assemble a 1:12 scale RX-78.
I've been hoping to get my hands on a 1:12 scale Zaku, but I think I'll have to wait for my wife to move out before that happens.

totally adding that to my "need one before i die" list
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby Tekwych » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:10 am

I wonder what shipping costs would be to the states? Who makes these? Are there other Gundams at 1:12?
Tekwych
Golden Grunt

Postby Dorkey » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:57 am

Tekwych wrote:

I wonder what shipping costs would be to the states? Who makes these? Are there other Gundams at 1:12?

I don't know how much shipping will be, but the kit is in three large boxes.

They were all limited production (I think) but I don't know what the numbers were.
The list of kits is as follows:
-RX-78-2 Gundam 350,000yen
-MS-06S Char's Zaku, Real Colour Version 250,000yen
-MS-06S Char's Zaku 198,000yen
-RX-78-2 Gundam, Animation Colour Version 300,000yen
-MS-06 Zaku II, Real Colour Version 294,000yen
-MS-06 Zaku II, Mastermind Japan (apparel company) Colour Version 399,000
-Ms-06S Char's Zaku, "Tokyo Angel" (television shopping) Special Limited Version 260,400yen
-MS-06F Production Model Zaku, Gunmetal -Prize-
-MS-06F Production Model Zaku, Metalic Version -Prize-
-MS-06F Production Model Zaku 198,000yen
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Well, this is pretty much impossible to top. I kind of wish I hadn't seen this before getting my box-o-gundam tomorrow. Still, this is very cool. Those kids must've had a great time putting that together.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Tekwych » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:14 pm

$3500.00 is quite reasonable for those kits.
Tekwych
Golden Grunt

Next

Return to Far East Connection