Play Arts Kai - Square Enix Products

Anime, Manga, Tokusatsu, Martial Arts, Culture, ETC.

Play Arts Kai - Square Enix Products

Postby EDcomics » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:44 pm

So ok...

I got my Play Arts Kai - Man of Steel - General Zod figure from BBTS today. I had it sitting in my Pile of Loot for a couple of months, so I realize it's not brand new. My first impression is that the figure is beautiful overall. It's really stunning figure overall. The helmet head comes attached to the figure with the Zod head detached elsewhere. That's the reason I keep saying "overall" -- because the Zod head is very poorly painted. At least, mine is. Of course, that's not a problem for me because I planned to display him in helmet mode 100% of the time. The only problem with the figure as a toy is the knee pads and knee joints. It's a double joint, but the knee pad is attached to the lower leg... so when you bend the knee, this weird bone-like piece becomes visible, and it's just very very odd. It almost makes the figure look broken. Still, if you're not bending the knees more than a couple of clicks, it's not a problem.

Tested all the joints. Everything has a nice ratchet to it, but the right shoulder disc was stuck. Hmm... Worked it back and forth a bit. Tried to freezer trick... and then the shoulder peg broke.

So has anyone else had this problem? I know it's not unique to Play Arts Kai. It's happened on other figures. I can clearly see the sheen of what I'll assume is glue on the inner part of the shoulder. I don't know WHY there would be glue there, but... whatever. It broke. Such a beautiful figure, and it broke. *shakes head*

With a preorder list full of DC Play Arts Kai figures, I'm not sure what to do. That's why I want to know if anyone else had suffered breakage with these figures. The stands are terrible, but as long as the figure stands on its own, I don't care much about that.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Re: Play Arts Kai - Square Enix Products

Postby Ideal » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:38 pm

My Edward Elric had some stuck joints that I was really worried were going to break. Both of his right arms had stuck shoulders and elbows, and I had already prepared myself to attempt a repair on the swapable mechanical arm pieces when it finally busted loose
Ideal
Golden Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:16 pm

EDcomics wrote:The only problem with the figure as a toy is the knee pads and knee joints. It's a double joint, but the knee pad is attached to the lower leg... so when you bend the knee, this weird bone-like piece becomes visible, and it's just very very odd. It almost makes the figure look broken. Still, if you're not bending the knees more than a couple of clicks, it's not a problem.

The Mattel Movie Masters figure split the kneepad in half and attached half to the upper leg, half to the lower. It doesn't look good at all when bent.

Sorry to hear that it broke. Those things are damn expensive. No way should an $80+ figure break right out of the box, or have stuck joints. Or bad head paint, for that matter. I'm ticked enough that the paint on the head of my $20 DCIE Huntress figure was crazy-sloppy.

That Faora figure looks gorgeous, but well out of my price range at this time. I'm a big fan of lady warriors, and intricate sci-fi armor (I also love Gamora's current look in Guardians of the Galaxy), so that figure's all kinds of tempting. Maybe on that far off, mythical day that I like to refer to as, "When I have money."
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby EDcomics » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Some photos of the breakage. I should have thought to photograph the whole figures. Seems like my brain just doesn't want to work these days. Anyway, there's an odd hole or something in the shoulder disc peg. I don't know if it's an air bubble, or if it's designed to be there. If it's an air bubble, then there were two issues at work here: the fused shoulder disc, and an air bubble in the shoulder peg.

I really tried to avoid this kind of breakage. I've had experience with this kind of stuck joint, and I can fix it 90%+ of the time. Over the years, the worst offenders have actually been NECA figures, with wrists and ankles breaking ULTRA easily. There have been some Hasbro figures with the same problem, though, and it almost always seems to be paint or glue fusing the joint somehow.

The shoulder isn't totally round. It's actually a weird, oblong shape. I'm not crazy about that kind of construction, and this is why. It creates a sort of level effect. You pull up on the arm to move the joint, but the angle of pressure is different than on, say, a MOTUC figure. I tried to compensate for that, but it didn't do any good. Poo.

As I said before, it's a real shame because I really like how this figure looks.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby JamesLynch » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:53 pm

Not sure why, but hollow joint pegs have been a trend in action figures for a few years now. It doesn't make any sense to me. Those pegs shoulder a lot of responsibility (no pun intended) and already receive the highest amount of movement/stress of any part of the figure. Why make them weaker? But when DCUC Robin and Mercury were on the market, their wrists and ankles were known to be trouble spots, and photos revealed they were hollow. I had a Miles Moralis Spider-Man figure break at the hip on me (unfortunately another known trouble spot), and the hip peg was indeed hollow.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby Ideal » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:46 am

been a while since we talked Kai figures, but i just saw something that has me a bit excited, so i figured id bust this thread back out

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=354&itemid=22152

no release date yet, but they have Briareos and Deunan figures coming from a to-be-released reboot called Appleseed Alpha

being that my only Appleseed experience is the CGI movie and it's sequel Ex Machina, i dont think the Deunan figure looks anything like the character, but it may be that she looks a bit different in the new movie.

the Briareos looks like a badass though
Ideal
Golden Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:13 pm

Ideal wrote:been a while since we talked Kai figures, but i just saw something that has me a bit excited, so i figured id bust this thread back out

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=354&itemid=22152

no release date yet, but they have Briareos and Deunan figures coming from a to-be-released reboot called Appleseed Alpha

being that my only Appleseed experience is the CGI movie and it's sequel Ex Machina, i dont think the Deunan figure looks anything like the character, but it may be that she looks a bit different in the new movie.

the Briareos looks like a badass though

Didn't know there was a new movie. Deunan DOES look really weird there. Not bad, but different. She's got quite a lot of... equipment... there.... *cough* Oh my.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Neptunebastard » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:35 pm

wow this part of the board IS dead...3 months and no calls to not shut it down but here it still is. Anyway, I have a brand new Play Arts Kai Batman Timeless Steampunk figure for sale, it's listed at $189 on ebay but I might be able to make a better deal direct without the ebay fees. This is my first bigger wholesale purchase and I really want to open it as I've never seen these PAK figures let alone owned one but I bought this one to sell. I also have two Kotobukiya Star Wars TFA First Order Stormtrooper 2-packs for sale.
Neptunebastard
Platinum Grunt

Postby Grey Warden » Tue May 17, 2016 11:27 pm

The only one I own is Hawkman and he is still boxed.

In War, Victory. In Peace, Vigilance. In Death, Sacrifice.
Grey Warden
Silver Grunt

Location: The Vigil's Keep, The Arling of Amaranthine in Ferelden

Postby Neptunebastard » Thu May 26, 2016 9:40 am

Grey Warden wrote:The only one I own is Hawkman and he is still boxed.

The only one I have is the Timeless Steampunk Variant...I'm not usually into Steampunk but I really liked the design and had never seen a PAK figure so I bought that one and the Arkham Poison Ivy wholesale to sell, just to own them for a little while and see what they looked like up close and personal before passing them on to a new home. Poison Ivy was hot and she got a lot of attention at conventions and not just from guys, girlfriends would pick her up and show her to their boyfriend and she was a little cheaper so she eventually sold but I've relisted the Batman twice now and he just ended again...3 months and no sale, shipping makes larger items harder to sell but still...I had him almost at cost for a while and still no sale so if he doesn't sell this weekend at Crypticon he's mine and I open the bastard and stick him on a shelf. I have learned that PAK and Kotobukia are NOT for me to sell though and I need to stick to small items that are easy to ship.
Neptunebastard
Platinum Grunt

Return to Far East Connection