Sword Art Online

Anime, Manga, Tokusatsu, Martial Arts, Culture, ETC.

Sword Art Online

Postby Ideal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:57 am

anybody watching this?

i started watching it on Cartoon Network as part of their Toonami block of anime, but after this most recent episode, i couldnt help but go online and finish out the series (the remaining episodes are translated and available on various websites despite not having aired yet), as well as the 1 1/2 hour special that follows the series, which is basically a recap of the high points of the series as the group prepares for a raid at the end.

i must say that out of all the anime i've watched lately, SAO had me most excited from episode to episode. the sense of danger during the first half of the series and the urgency of the second half really felt like it came off as genuine. at least to me.

the inclusion of the whole sister thing was a bit odd, but handled well i think.

all in all, i really enjoyed it, and im excited to hear they will be making Sword Art Online II starting this year. it also resparked my interest in MMORPG gaming, which is something i abandoned after City of Heroes went offline back in 2012
Ideal
Golden Grunt

Re: Sword Art Online

Postby Gatchagrey » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:48 am

if you have hulu plus or crunchy roll this series is streaming and was available the same day as japan...
I enjoyed the first half of the series more than the second half when they changed games..

as for the sister thing its actually a very comman anime theme you will see repeated in many anime to the point there is anime based on this them...ONI AI comes to mind...

you should also check out ACCEL SAGA ..it has some similar themes to sword art online

I cannot stress enough for anyone who wants to watch anime get a hulu plus account...they may not be up to date as much as crunchy roll but they have a ton more to watch including older series
"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, its tactile, real!, They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations, A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some."
Gatchagrey
Silver Grunt

Postby Ideal » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:27 am

Gatchagrey wrote:you should also check out ACCEL SAGA ..it has some similar themes to sword art online

im about 15 episodes in on Accel World, but it just doesnt hold the same appeal for me. it isnt bad, and i enjoy it, but it comes across more like a bunch of spoiled kids being way too serious about the latest WOW expansion than anything actually threatening, which i guess is why i havent been as concerned with finishing it out as i have been other shows

and you are right about the sister thing. i've seen it a good number of times (the main plot behind the 2nd half of the Vampire Knight series directly revolved around a brother/sister pairing), and SAO probably handled it in a less creepy way than a lot of the others handled it
Ideal
Golden Grunt

Postby Ideal » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:44 pm

so i've been watching the simul-casts of SAO2, with episode 7 airing about an hour ago. this time the story revolves around Kirito investigating the happenings in a shooter-based game

ive seen people complain that the pacing is a bit slower this time around, which i guess i would agree with, but they are introducing an entirely new main/co-main character in addition to what is going on directly with Kirito, so a lot of the episode time is being dedicated to fleshing out her motivations. i imagine once her character is explored sufficiently, the action will probably pick up considerably
Ideal
Golden Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Season 2 airs this Saturday on toonami!
I'm a rhinestone Tiger in a leisure suit.
zombie13
Gold Apprentice

Return to Far East Connection