Gundam Reconguista in G

Anime, Manga, Tokusatsu, Martial Arts, Culture, ETC.

Gundam Reconguista in G

Postby Dorkey » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:38 pm

The first two episodes just aired back-to-back.
Still not enough information to come to a decision whether I like it or not, but it does seem to have potential.

http://g-reco.net/
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Re: Gundam Reconguista in G

Postby EDcomics » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Orororo.... Time just flies by me these days. I stumbled across the website for this a couple of weeks ago after visiting the Gundam Guy blog. Thanks for posting this. Now I'll be motivated to hunt down the episodes. I haven't been excited about Gundam in a while. The past few series have been underwhelming (in my humble opinion). I hope this one delivers what I'm looking for.

So Dorkey, I don't think we've ever discussed it at length, but are you a big Gundam fan?
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:52 pm

I wouldn't consider myself a "big" Gundam fan.
There are some that I like, some that I dislike, and some that I feel neutral toward.

My favourites are The 08th MS Team, MS Igloo and the 00 TV series.
My least favourites are the original Gundam, V Gundam, G Gundam and the 00 movie.
I passed on AGE and Build Fighters. And there still are a few on my "to watch" list which I haven't seen yet.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:55 pm

It's hit and miss for me as well. I'm always going to be partial to Gundam Wing, since that was the first series I watched. I also enjoyed 08th MS Team, and the first half of 0083: Stardust Memory. I got on board with SEED, but the followup, Destiny, felt so cheap and uninspired to me. I watched 00 Season 1, but tapped out during Season 2. Since then, I haven't completed any new series.

Although it's the oddball, I did actually like Turn-A Gundam. There was some interesting stuff in there.

Anyway, I watched the first episode of Reconguista tonight, and I'm really not 100% what I think of it. The style of animation (not the art style) really jarred me at first. It looks almost like it was done in the 80's, and really has the visual feel of series like Z Gundam. That's how it struck me, anyway. The opened scene was also jarring... and I forgot about the intro. The song's not bad, but the video seems to just be clips from the show. I could be wrong, but it really did look like that, and that's one of my big pet peeves when it comes to cartoon/anime series.

So yeah, not sure yet. I'll watched episode 2 ASAP and hopefully I'll get a better feel for where it's going. The whole style is kind of hard to get used to. The characters and how they're introduced. It's like Turn-A in that sense, or even like Overman King Gainer, where it just drops you into a situation and culture without ever really letting you get a grip on where you are. Fast-paced and impersonal, in a way.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:31 pm

Nothing official, but I've heard that Reconguista is supposed to be somewhere between the Universal Century and the world of Turn A, possibly connecting the two worlds. Previously, I had been told that the world of Turn A was a possible distant future for any of the other Gundam series, and I don't see any need for Turn A to be connected to any other Gundam.
Well, we'll see if there's any substance to that rumour.
As far as where Reconguista is going, I have no idea, and I still haven't got a clue as to whether I like this show or not.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:43 pm

Finished episode 2.

Overall it's not really grabbing me. I'll likely continue watching week-to-week, but I'm not totally enthralled. I do see elements of the UC bridge you spoke of. I guess that doesn't bother me too much. When watching Turn-A, with all those UC-model mobile suits they were digging up, I never really considered that series following any of those alternate reality series. I do remember the second intro (I think) featured some very quick glimpses of previous alternate-timeline Gundams, and I have a vague recollection from the very end of the series, though. Honestly, back when I watched that show, the VCDs I'd ordered didn't include the final episode, and I had no way to get it at the time, so I've still never seen it. This many years later, I feel I'd have to rewatch the ENTIRE series from the start. Maybe I'll do that soon. Anyway...

G no Reconguista (is that right?) has a similar feel to Turn-A. I'm not sure I like the main character, though. Maybe it's too early to judge him, though. In the promo art, wearing the space suit, I honestly thought he was a girl... and I thought it was a nice change. (I think a female piloted the Alex in 0080, but that was a long time ago).

I guess I'll continue feeling out the series. It just seems odd... Disregarding Turn-A, if this is supposed to be a distant sequel to Unicorn... the future doesn't really seem advanced enough , either technologically or culturally. Just a general feeling I had...

-------------------

*SPOILER*
G-Toilet -- Now I've truly seen it all.

Just wrapped up episode 3. Maybe third time's the charm with these new series. I liked this episode. It had a good flow, and the comedy was actually kind of refreshing. Bizarre use of wildlife animation, but again, I liked it. Still a bit confused as to what's going on, but I'm starting to get a handle on it.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby EDcomics » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:12 pm

I didn't post about episode 4, but I thought that was a good episode, and it left me wanting to see more.

Just finished episode 5, and I feel like I have no idea what's going on. At the end of the episode, our main characters do spell things out for us a bit, but overall a lot of stuff happens and I feel like the characters are behaving very strangely. The action is pretty good, and the mobile suits are good fun, though. Finally got to see the Core Fighter sliding around scene from the opening credits in this episode. It all makes sense now. I thought it was a hovercraft (never thought I'd type that word twice in one day).
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:37 pm

They changed the time of broadcast for this show and I can't find the new time listed anywhere.

I'm going to have to track it down on line and get caught up, the last thing I remember is the kid wrapping himself in a blanket in order to use the toilet while surrounded by the girls.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:25 am

Dorkey wrote:They changed the time of broadcast for this show and I can't find the new time listed anywhere.

I'm going to have to track it down on line and get caught up, the last thing I remember is the kid wrapping himself in a blanket in order to use the toilet while surrounded by the girls.

That was either the best or worst scene yet. There IS a lot of toilet-use going on in that episode.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Return to Far East Connection