GARO Honou no Kokuin

Anime, Manga, Tokusatsu, Martial Arts, Culture, ETC.

GARO Honou no Kokuin

Postby Dorkey » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:52 pm

Just watched the first episode of GARO Honou no Kokuin (Blazing Seal).
http://garo-project.jp/ANIME/
The anime is set in what appears to be a medieval Europe-like location.
Although I'm used to the live action version of Garo, all apprehension I had about the series becoming an anime is gone. I enjoyed the first episode very much, and I feel (hope) that they will keep up the good work.
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Re: GARO Honou no Kokuin

Postby EDcomics » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Late to the game again, but this is another series I'll have to check out.

The weird thing is that after the original GARO series, I haven't felt the need for too much at one time. The little 2-part miniseries didn't do it for me, but the following series seemed to be pretty good in the beginning. I'm so behind now, but with my GARO figures being the jewels of my collection, I should really get caught up on all the live action and now anime content.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:05 pm

This new series appears to have a completely different taste from the previous live-action shows.
And with the story taking place in a completely different age/location, the story probably will not overlap with any of the previous material (although it seems Zaruba will be in the anime). So, if you are interested, you can probably watch the anime before what remains on your Garo "to watch" list with little or no spoilers.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby Dorkey » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:31 am

And with the third episode partly being a story about the creation of Zaruba, this series would appear to take place in the past.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Dorkey wrote:And with the third episode partly being a story about the creation of Zaruba, this series would appear to take place in the past.

I'm still an episode behind you, so I can't comment on too much yet. Some quick thoughts:

1- Intro animation needs some inbetweens.
2- Intro art reminds me of Getter Robo (Armageddon or Shin vs Neo)
3- OP theme by Jam Project -- sounds like some Getter Robo and Dragonball themes -- which brings up a different topic:

Dorkey, maybe you can comment on this. I'll try to get some examples below. There seems to be a genre of music within anime that's sort of a high-powered, inspirational battle theme type style. I think the new Garo anime theme fits in this style. Maybe I'm just entirely off-base, but if there IS a specific genre, I'd love to know what it's called... because it's hard to describe without just throwing examples out there. Maybe the Dragonball connection is only that the vocals resemble Hironobu Kageyama (in my mind). Anyway, sorry to muck up the thread with non-related videos, but...

Garo Anime Themes:
(Having not watched the Kiba series, I didn't realize there was such an obvious Hironobu Kageyama connection)

Getter Robo Themes:

Dragonball:

--------------------------------------------------------

Just watched episode 3.

I liked this episode more than the previous two. I enjoy stuff like the "forging" of Zaruba, so I wish there was more time spent on that. I like the addition of Ema (from ep2), and seeing the purple armor got me excited. I was also happy to see the original Horror return, even if only as disposable Horror troops at the end of this episode. Maybe we'll finally get that S.I.C. style Horror figure ;) I won't hold my breath, though.

One reason I enjoyed the original Garo so much was the element of mystery. They didn't spell it all out for you in the beginning. In this new anime, the structure has already been revealed -- specifically the main villain and conflict, pending any larger revelations down the road. I do have some issues with the animation, but since it was a stylistic choice to do it this way, there's not much I can say about it. The pacing may be a bit too quick for my taste, but I DID get excited toward the end of the episode, and was actually disappointed when it ended. That says something.

One complaint, though: In the first episode, the king refers to Zoro's armor as "that strange armor," or something to that effect... as if he's never seen anything like that before.... but in that same episode, we see a giant Makai Knight tapestry hanging in the castle, and the king refers to it as a familiar entity. It doesn't make sense to me.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:11 am

There isn’t an actual “genre” to the music that you mentioned. All of the examples you have given are performed by Hironobu Kageyama or Jam Project (with Hironobu Kageyama as the lead vocal) with the Getter theme “Storm” being performed by Ichiro Muzuki and Hironobu Kageyama.

Concerning the armour from Garo, the king mentions “that strange armour”. In this case, strange is a reference to the shape, strangely shaped or of unfamiliar appearance. The Makai Knight armours, compared to conventional armours worn by regular knights are quite different.
The Garo-esque armour from the tapestry, referred to as “the savior of our nation, the shining/bright/luminous/resilient knight” doesn’t seem to have clear details other than the fact that he has the face of a wolf (some people may even mistake this to be a lion). When the king saw Zoro, he may not have had a clear look, and with there being many differences Zoro and the tapestry, he may not see the connection between the two.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Well, I feel rather foolish now. I guess I've just been recognizing Hironobu Kageyama's voice and style over and over again, thinking it can't all be the same guy. It makes me feel guilty for not doing more research in the past, but often times I hear things things sort of in passing and don't get a chance to go back and focus on them. In any case, I've learned something here.

Regarding "strange armor," I now see the issue with relying so much on the subtitles, and missing the inflection of what's being said. I've never studied Japanese seriously, but I'm at the point where I'm starting to pick up a lot of differences between what's being spoken and what the subtitles say, where sometimes the meaning is slightly (or sometimes wildly) off.

I guess I was being super-critical of the tapestry thing without giving the characters the benefit of the doubt. I do still think it's strange (there's that word again), but I guess I just need to let it go. Like I said above, the show is already starting to grow on me.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:33 pm

About the subtitles, there are some that are truly absurd.

I remember coming across an old subtitled tokusatsu show (I think it was Kamen Rider V3) where a scientist says the line "俺の良心が許さない" (ore no ryoshin ga yurusanai) which means, "my conscience won't allow it". However, whoever did the subtitles had understood the phrase as "俺の両親が許さない" (ore no ryoshin ga yurusanai" which means "my parents won't allow it". Both phrases are pronounced the same but with one word written differently, the meaning is completely changed.

Context can be so important...
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby Dorkey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:51 am

BTW, Hironobu Kageyama also does the voice of Zaruba.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:54 am

Dorkey wrote:BTW, Hironobu Kageyama also does the voice of Zaruba.

Now you're just messing with me, right??? :D

So is that Zaruba just for the anime, or Zaruba all across the board from the original Garo series? Either way, very interesting.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:06 am

Zaruba is apparently a single entity, the same ring/character for every one of the Garo series that he appears in (live action and anime) and Kageyama been the voice of Zaruba since the very beginning.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Dorkey wrote:Zaruba is apparently a single entity, the same ring/character for every one of the Garo series that he appears in (live action and anime) and Kageyama been the voice of Zaruba since the very beginning.

Yeah, I figured it was the same entity. I just thought he sounded different in the anime series. Different recording studio or altered sound filter, maybe. Cool piece of trivia, though!
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Return to Far East Connection