Kamen Rider Drive

Anime, Manga, Tokusatsu, Martial Arts, Culture, ETC.

Kamen Rider Drive

Postby EDcomics » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:02 pm

It's that time of year again, when we gather to discuss the latest Kamen Rider series. There is a masked character, and he DOES ride something (in this case a car), so it is technically a Kamen Rider series. Beyond that, though, how do you feel about it?

I was able to make it through the first episode and half of the second episode before I tapped out. If there's one thing I can say, it's that each new Kamen Rider series makes me more interested to watch the PREVIOUS series. I guess that means each new show is so bad is makes the previous one look better by comparison.

On a POSITIVE note, I do want to say the monster designs are very cool. Kind of standard Nirasawa-esque designs, but I have no problem with that. I like them.

As we've discussed before, these shows are just increasingly aimed toward younger and younger kids. While one could argue the fruit lock merchandise was age-neutral to a degree, I think the toy car gimmick is aimed squarely at young children. Will some adults still take the passenger seat and go along for the ride? (Did I really just type that?) Of course. I suspect, however, (personal opinion) that most adult fans of Kamen Rider will be turned off by this latest incarnation. Dorkey, I'll have to defer to your local awareness on that issue, even though I realize it may be too early to tell what the general reaction is.

I do think the idea of a Kamen Rider with a car is a perfectly good one. "Rider" shouldn't be limited to motorcycles only. Cars make a lot of sense. After all, Batman has the Batmobile, along with a variety of other vehicles for land, sea and air. Perhaps in the future we'll see a Kamen Rider with a mostly air-based vehicle, an off-road type vehicle, etc... This may not appeal to most audiences, but a kind of crazy idea would be a swamp-based Kamen Rider with a hovercraft.

Of course, all this boils down to me being selfish and focusing on what I'd like to see, rather than accepting what is being produced. Is it time for me to give up on Kamen Rider? (Maybe I'll just go rewatch ZO to make myself feel better)
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Re: Kamen Rider Drive

Postby Dorkey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:06 am

I have already given up on this one.

First I'm going to disagree with the thought that the "Kame Rider" name is appropriate. In order to be a "rider", I believe you either have to be straddling whatever you are riding (bike, horse) or be a passenger in the vehicle (car, bus, train). Unfortunately, "Kamen Rider" has now become a brand of Toei heroes and that brand name used primarily to sell toys. Therre were proposals for a new Kikaider series about 10 years ago, but they were all rejected because Toei, as suggested by their sponsor (Bandai) believed the "Kamen Rider" name was required for the toys to sell. Kamen Rider Hibiki was also pitched as a modern day Arashi, but Bandai told Toei that it had to be Kamen Rider.
So now, the name Kamen Rider only means Non-Sentai Toei Hero which is broadcast on TV Asahi.

Other than that, in my opinion, the first episode was the worst first episode in the history of Kamen Rider. The good thing about this is that it can't get worse. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be getting any better. The main writer having done some episodes of Kyoryuger, I had expected the story to be a little more entertaining.

I'll probably keep watchingin the hopes of some improvement - resulting in weekly disappointment.

As far as reactions from other people, everybody seems to be trying to avoid the topic.
Last night, the conversation was primarily about the new Garo, Kiseiju, Terraformars and Attack on Titan.
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:35 am

Dorkey wrote:I have already given up on this one.
As far as reactions from other people, everybody seems to be trying to avoid the topic.
Last night, the conversation was primarily about the new Garo, Kiseiju, Terraformars and Attack on Titan.

You mean you actually have people you can talk to about Anime and Tokusatsu over there? Are you having a weekly roundtable or something?? ;)

I just deleted a paragraph of rambling analysis on modern Kamen Rider, but I decided it was a fruitless venture. It's too bad I can't write my own Rider-esque show and have it magically produced. Oh well.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:49 am

EDcomics wrote:
Dorkey wrote:You mean you actually have people you can talk to about Anime and Tokusatsu over there? Are you having a weekly roundtable or something?? ;)

I just go to the local bar...
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:53 am

Dorkey wrote:I just go to the local bar...

Drive is enough to drive anyone to drink ;)

One item I forgot to touch on: Drive goes through four different modes in the first episode. They don't even wait for him to earn or unlock the abilities. They just throw them all in there right at the beginning. One of my biggest complaints about superhero movies and shows is that after the origin story, there's not much else left to do. Just villain-of-the-week. I think the act of BECOMING the hero is what's interesting. That can be stretched out for a long time. It doesn't all have to be established or set in stone in episode 1. Just my thoughts...
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Return to Far East Connection