Terraformars

Anime, Manga, Tokusatsu, Martial Arts, Culture, ETC.

Terraformars

Postby EDcomics » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:48 pm

I watched three episodes on Crunchyroll before needing to take a break from my subscription.

So... The censoring on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was a growing nuisance. It got really bad in some of the more recent episodes. I thought it was a stylistic choice at first, because the shadow blurs were so localized and amorphous. When the half-screen censor blocks started showing up, I knew something was amiss.

Enter Terraformars. I recall seeing an NHK World feature on the manga series, which looked good. I never got around to reading said manga, but I was excited when the anime began. First episode was very interesting, but in the fight with the bear, the censorship was unBEARable! I'm not kidding, though. As I continued to watch, it just got worse and worse, culminating in this:

I hardly know what to say. The anime is certainly not life-changing in its content or quality, but it's good fun -- except for the offensive amount of censoring. I understand if it's a ploy to boost Blu-Ray sales, but it's just too much. Is it airing at an inappropriate time slot? Was some new bill passed into law? What is the reason for this censorship? Attack on Titan never had this problem!

I can't even rely on Positive-Oppai for comfort!
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Re: Terraformars

Postby Dorkey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:15 pm

Boosting DVD/Blu-Ray sales is probably one of the objectives for the censorship.
I'm not aware of any new legislation related to this censorship.

My guess would be more along the lines of self censorship by the broadcasters before the government decides to impose strict censorship legislation. Programs with nudity, inappropriate language and extreme violence have always been restricted to late night broadcasts. With much of the late night content becoming available on the internet combined with the fact that the interrnet has become a lot more accesible to children, the broadcasters needed to come up with a countermeasure. This kind of censorship were put into effect with the weekly manga magazines a few years ago.
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:35 am

Has there been a lot of discourse on the subject over there? Are people annoyed, or do they generally accept it without complaint?
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:27 am

There really doesn't seem to be any problem with the censorship. Most people don't care for it, but accept it. If they really want the blood and gore, they'll buy the DVD/Blu-Ray. After all, all you need is a little imagination to fill in the blanks.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:34 am

Dorkey wrote:There really doesn't seem to be any problem with the censorship. Most people don't care for it, but accept it. If they really want the blood and gore, they'll buy the DVD/Blu-Ray. After all, all you need is a little imagination to fill in the blanks.

I found it to be extremely jarring, to the point of being comical. I would have preferred the animation studio had attempted to portray the action in a more creative way if they really wanted to avoid exposing kids (or whoever) to the gore. Either that, or release the series as an OAV/OVA.

Of course, if the MAIN reason for it is to sell DVD/Blu-Ray... I don't know. Again, maybe straight to video is better. If the screen needs to be more than 50% censored at any point, something's wrong.

...At least, that's my opinion. I feel like it's an insult to those who created the manga. Now, you're telling me the weekly manga has been censored in recent years. Some of the stuff I pick up has had a lot of nudity, but not much gore, so I haven't encountered the censorship there. I guess in the end, if the artists hadn't included the gore (or sex, in other cases), the censorship wouldn't have been necessary...

...but I wonder if, after the success of Attack on Titan, there's a larger market for blood and gore and that could be a driving factor behind all of this.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:47 am

My guess would be that they had originally intended to make the animation into an accurate representation of the manga. Then, censorship policies were implemented before the start of broadcast
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:29 am

Dorkey wrote:My guess would be that they had originally intended to make the animation into an accurate representation of the manga. Then, censorship policies were implemented before the start of broadcast

That makes the most sense.

So what do you think of the series? What are other people saying about it?
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:04 am

Since we've all read the manga, the series is basically a refresher video which allows us to watch the characters in motion.
We were surprised to see that they skipped the first part of the series, but this is probably in order to fit it into the number of episodes they expect to air. These days, Japanese late night animations are usually concluded after 13 or 26 episodes, resulting in only a partial view of the entire story.
There really isn't too much talk about the anime. Whenever we get started, we end up talking about the manga.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Dorkey wrote:Since we've all read the manga, the series is basically a refresher video which allows us to watch the characters in motion.
We were surprised to see that they skipped the first part of the series, but this is probably in order to fit it into the number of episodes they expect to air. These days, Japanese late night animations are usually concluded after 13 or 26 episodes, resulting in only a partial view of the entire story.
There really isn't too much talk about the anime. Whenever we get started, we end up talking about the manga.

I see. I've always been really partial to animation, but of course I know most anime series are based on manga. Some anime seasons seem like advertisements for the manga, even. Watching the incomplete story in Tenjo Tenge and Air Gear led me to buy the full series of each manga (well, Air Gear still isn't complete in North America).

So yeah, ideally it would be nice to read all the manga. It's just more difficult over here. But when it comes to things like Attack on Titan, I don't know if the manga would have grabbed me the way the anime did. The anime really struck the right cord with me. But then, after Season 1 ended, I went and read the manga and saw some of the differences. Sometimes the music is also a big factor in how much I enjoy a series.

Back to Terraformars, I guess once again I'm just late to the game, having not read the manga. So for me, this is my introduction to the story and characters. It's all new and fresh to me, and that's why the censorship is so offensive. I'm the type of person who wants to really become absorbed in a show or movie, so something like that, that makes me think for that half-second "What's going on here?", really takes me out of that experience.

So what are your thoughts on the manga overall? Have you enjoyed it? Would you recommend it? Again, not being able to read Japanese (reading is so much harder for me than listening), right now I'd be stuck picking out a "fanlation" group that I can tolerate. Sometimes the translation is so bad, I feel like there's little point in reading. Though... if Terraformars becomes popular over here, the manga will likely -- wait... I've made this mistake before...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/terra-f ... ra+formars

Yup. Somebody's already on top of it. I can't keep up with this stuff anymore. What would be the best source to find out about new manga as it launches in Japan? I hate being so far behind.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:12 pm

I've enjoyed the manga so far, I've picked up all of the compilations (11 so far) but I can't be bothered with the weekly magazine that its printed in. I like the drawings and the originality of the characters as well as the way the story is developing (for now, the anime has only hinted at this).
What I don't care for - the reason many people have stopped following the story - is the fact that they'll introduce new characters with their cool abilities and an in depth explaination of whatever creature they got their DNA from, then kill them off in a single frame. However, if you can stick it out through all of that, the story takes a turn and you realize that the cockroaches may not be the biggest problem.
The creature explainations are also interesting with the kind of information you would only expect in nature magazines but kept concise so that you don't lose interest in the subject matter.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby Dorkey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:25 pm

As for new manga, I usually get my information from my kids or from friends so I'm usually a late starter.
I see displays for new and popular manga at the book stores on a regular basis, but without a recommendation, I'll usually just walk past them.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:05 am

Sounds interesting. I may have to look into picking up a couple of volumes. Maybe a Christmas present to myself this year.

I'm thinking of drawing one of the roach guys this week, so I'll be sure to post that here (if I actually get around to doing it).
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby EDcomics » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:29 am

I just finished episode 13, which is apparently the finale. I decided to give Terraformars another try the other day, and I ended up binging on ten episodes. They really lightened up on the censoring, and there were some very good episodes. Unfortunately, episode 13 felt extremely rushed, and really felt like filler. Even the animation was sub-par, which surprised me. I don't understand what happened.

In any case, with no Season 2 in sight yet, I may break down and start reading the manga. It's just that I'm a big fan of animation, and I enjoy the pacing and music when done right. Episode 4 of Terraformars is great entertainment as far as I'm concerned. I'm not sure I'll be able to get the same adrenaline rush from the manga, but we'll see.

And in figure news, Figma 230 is going for high prices everywhere. So much for army building! Maybe I should've put down a preorder. Sigh...

EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Return to Far East Connection