Dragonball & DBZ

Anime, Manga, Tokusatsu, Martial Arts, Culture, ETC.

Dragonball & DBZ

Postby EDcomics » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:21 am

http://www.dragonball2015.com/

I just got finished watching "Battle of Gods" on BluRay. Probably didn't need to buy it, but it was the extended cut and I figured "why not?" When I started watching DBZ, the main attraction was the fighting. To be honest, the first thing I saw was the "World's Strongest" movie, which is not canon... but it's fun ;) Then it was the Saiyan Saga, and it just captivated me. It was so foreign. So it's strange to find myself, nearly half my life later, and there's still new Dragonball animation being produced. I guess it's not that odd in Japan, but it's pretty rare for an animated series to keep returning over and over again in the United States.

In any case, "Battle of Gods" is pretty fun. Like the streaming-only Jump Festa video from some years back, it's more of a relaxed story with a lot more humor than action. The action itself is *shrug* ok. There's some cool stuff, but it's hard to get fired up about it when the atmosphere is so laid back. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I did, actually. It just felt like an appetizer. I had seen a fansubbed version of this when it was relatively new in 2013 or so. The Blu Ray extended version looks great and is fun to watch... but the real reason I bought it is that I'm super psyched about the NEXT Dragonball movie that's coming out in under two months!

http://www.dragonball2015.com/

Wow. Freiza/Freeza/Frieza/Freezer is back! Once upon a time I might have shrugged and not cared, but something just seems fun about this return. A big part of it is that, unlike the original 13 DBZ films, this one (and Battle of Gods) have had storyline input from series creator Akira Toriyama. That means something. While I'm not always a fan of his choices, I generally enjoy the world and characters he's created, and his stories have given me some good memories.

This next film looks more like an action-oriented story, so it could get the adrenaline pumping. Goku's new gi, visible at the link above, is quite interesting. I don't know what that swirly symbol is, but it's noticeably similar to the Konoha Leaf symbol from Naruto. I'm sure this is unrelated, but it's a striking similarity to the uninformed foreigner (that's me!).

Anyway, I'm excited. The website's blog is updated daily from now until the film's release, and the content is really fun and humorous. And since this is a toy forum, check out what they're offering. I can't read it, but it looks like something I'd like to have!
Attachments
dbz.png
dbz.png (489.83 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Re: Dragonball & DBZ

Postby zombie13 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:54 pm

Guess I'll have to see these too now :ed:
Thanks. :D
I'm a rhinestone Tiger in a leisure suit.
zombie13
Gold Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:12 am

Just went to the screening.
I wasn't expecting much out of the film but I was pleasantly impressed.
The story, accented with plenty of Toriyama-style comedy, was quite entertaining.
The choice of ring-tone for Krillin's cell phone was great and Master Roshi's fight sequence was awesome.

Anyway, the movie is great fun and I would recommend it to anybody who has even a passing interest in the Dragonball franchise.
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby Dayraven » Sun May 03, 2015 1:21 pm

who doesn't love a goku? on my journeys through our wonderous southern neighbor, goku is the most ubiquitous entity short of our mother of guadalupe. haven't seen the new one yet, but i must say, the SSGSS form needs a new name something fierce. and maybe a new aesthetic. the non-canonical SS5 and SS6 forms aren't my favorite either, but i'd like to have seen something inventive that maybe split the difference between a SS3 and SS4 form or went in an entirely different direction to give us something unique looking. i don't know, i'm looking for something that looks like a plan, that the various SS forms were a continuous growth into a perfected (or at least more evolved) form, and thusfar, they just kind of piece together like a chance to sell more toys with costume swaps. :D
Dayraven
Bronze Grunt

Return to Far East Connection