Drayleeon armor deco change?

Drayleeon armor deco change?

Postby DroothR » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:23 am

New York Toy Fair sample (left) vs prototype (right).

It's a pretty drastic change, and not one for the better (in my view).

I really liked how the darker base of the prototype's armor helped the brighter gold "pop", and also make the purple feathers seem more vibrant by comparison.

Now that the one on display at the recent NY Toy Fair has a bright copper instead of a darker base, all of the colours are too similar a tone, and the whole thing looks kind of washed out, with the eye not being drawn to any specific features. :?

I really hope that this is just a half painted test shot, and not an intentional change for the production piece, as this altered deco really pales in comparison to the original colour scheme (in my opinion).

:geek:
DroothR
Silver Grunt

Re: Drayleeon armor deco change?

Postby garyl » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:59 pm

There isn't much film footage of this, but in the 2 minute PopCritica video with horrible lighting it looks much like the photo above. In the 11 minute UltimateToyCollector video ( about 9.5 minutes in ), it still doesn't look exactly like the product shot above, but it looks much better.
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby TheToyDoc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:19 pm

I could be be wrong but I think that's just a rushed paint job for the show. The mock ups of this second round of birds looked very similar at SDCC, but later had the more detailed paint apps.
TheToyDoc
Apprentice

Postby ChaoticDescent » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:20 pm

TheToyDoc wrote:I could be be wrong but I think that's just a rushed paint job for the show. The mock ups of this second round of birds looked very similar at SDCC, but later had the more detailed paint apps.

I dunno. It's not just the paint. The trim color on the armor looks more bronze than copper, or too copper rather than a copperish gold? Either way, too much red in that metallic color. The very subtle difference in that original picture looks very sexy, even if it means using paint that's just slightly off from the plastic color.
If they changed it to justify the paint applications, I'd prefer the plastic to be the original trim color and for the previously painted gold parts to be unpainted, since I guess painting the gold ourselves would be easier than painting those fine trim lines.
ChaoticDescent
Standard Grunt

Postby DroothR » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:42 am

Jeez, this is really disappointing. :(

Looking at the paint master, the low contrast colours remain, and now there's less deco as well.

DroothR
Silver Grunt

Postby ryanlietzenmayer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:43 am

DroothR wrote:Jeez, this is really disappointing. :(

Looking at the paint master, the low contrast colours remain, and now there's less deco as well.

That "paint master" looks like it's the same figure that was shown at toy fair with a painted head, just with different lighting. The prototypes shown at toyfair did not have any piping (I mean the thin lines of paint on the raised parts of the body), but the new birds shown at Powercon that are not the dragon DO have the piping.
ryanlietzenmayer
Bronze Grunt

Postby koonfasa » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:36 am

I want those purple wings, but I don't know for which bird.
And stop showing all those teasers with the dragon in the BG!
ship1-3=$22.25;4=$33.25;5-6=$53.25;7-8=$64.70...
koonfasa
Golden Grunt

Postby jonwes » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:23 pm

I really do miss the darker color on the armor for contrast.
jonwes
Silver Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:24 pm

You know, I've been at the studio and I never remember to check the factory samples and see what happened with this. I also prefer the contrast of having that darker tone in there. Either way it'll be cool, but *shrug* yeah. I'll see if I can remember to ask about it.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby DroothR » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:19 am

EDcomics wrote:You know, I've been at the studio and I never remember to check the factory samples and see what happened with this. I also prefer the contrast of having that darker tone in there. Either way it'll be cool, but *shrug* yeah. I'll see if I can remember to ask about it.

If you can find out what happened (or is happening), then that would be great, thanks! :)
DroothR
Silver Grunt

Return to Gothitropolis & Raven Kickstarter