what's a Scarabus with broken staff worth?

what's a Scarabus with broken staff worth?

Postby ChaoticDescent » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:43 pm

I bought a Scarabus off eBay and when it arrived the staff was broken, and one of the flames was missing. He said he found the missing flame and can send it, but what should I be asking for a partial refund? I paid 28+15 shipping in British pounds, which is about $60 US ($40 for the item and $20 for shipping). I thought it was an alright price for a loose figure that looked pretty dusty, but not for this. I thought I saw broken ones in the past but don't remember how cheap they were. Originally I was going to ask 50% of the item cost so I was paying $40 US shipped. I don't know if the flame alone is worth $10 and the broken staff only $10.
It broke where the head plugs in. It can sort of hold the piece if I rotate it just right. Hopefully if I glue it it will give me more freedom in that, though it's not a clean break so I would still have to position the break to face the back.

edit: I don't know. Do you think I'm being a complete jerk? Do you think the cost is so low that it's a great price even if I knew it was broken? I guess that's really hard to judge since what a person is willing to pay is pretty subjective.
Do you not think he's at fault for mailing it in a bubble envelope? I'm fairly convinced that the way it's bent out at the base of the break rather than a clean break means that the attached staff head was bent, either from falling off a shelf, or by being assembled before being shipped. If it wasn't assembled, it likely would have been fine. If it was assembled but shipped in a box, it likely would have been fine. The combination of the two spelled almost certain disaster. I think it's unlikely it fell off a shelf because he was honest about the damage to other figures. Unless maybe it happened after it was sold but before it was shipped?? I'm thinking about this too much.

I've been willing to pay about $75 shipped for a new Scarabus and I've seen them sell that cheaply I think twice in the past 6 months, so I know it's possible even if it's uncommon.
ChaoticDescent
Standard Grunt

Re: what's a Scarabus with broken staff worth?

Postby zombie13 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:01 pm

The staffs of past 4 Horsemen figures are notorious for this type of breakage. You got a great figure for a great price regardless of the breakage. A little dab of super glue should fix it. Just don't glue it with the staff head in the peg. Glue the part back on without those parts assembled. Definitely get that other flame from him. And don't think to hard about who's at fault. Next time just request that your figures be shipped in a box and not an envelope. I do this each and every time I buy or trade something from someone else.
Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
Follow me on Instagram at zombie13.customs
zombie13
Smith

Postby ChaoticDescent » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:44 am

Thanks for the feedback.
I always worry that I'm overreacting. I'm probably overthinking as well.

The break isn't clean, it's actually bent at the base, so it probably needs a bit of paint or permanent marker to make it less obvious, but yeah.

Whatever. He sent me the partial refund. I guess we'll see if he comes through on the flame too.
ChaoticDescent
Standard Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:37 am

It really is a simple fix as long as you don't over do it with the superglue. It's not like the figure broke in half. I hate when that happens. Not that it's happened with the 4H figures, but with others. Anyway, it was cool of the seller to do that.
zombie13
Smith

Postby koonfasa » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:27 am

Which Scarabus? I'd probably still buy that for $60 US shipped.
ship1-3=$22.25;4=$33.25;5-6=$53.25;7-8=$64.70...
koonfasa
Golden Grunt

Return to Gothitropolis & Raven Kickstarter