Could/should series 1 Ravens be re-released, w/series 2?

Could/should series 1 Ravens be re-released, w/series 2?

Postby Sir Real » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:11 pm

Specifically on the Ravens. On the sourcehorsemen.com main page, they keep posting news articles about the many recent Gothitropolis figure reviews across the web.

This is nice, and I guess they're happy that so many people like their products. But since these are all currently all sold out, it's not serving to advertise the figures so that people can "come on over to the store to order them": they can't. Seems a little mean to advertise what's no longer available. I mean, isn't that the purpose of figure reviews? to get the word out, so that others can read the review, and see if they like them, so they can decide if they want to buy them for themselves?

I guess it gets the word out that the FHM make great figures, and so it's good press in general. But it's a little bittersweet I'd imagine, for the many people who completely missed out on all the Gothitropolis Ravens and are just hearing about them now. "Look, another review on how great these figures are, but if you don't have them already, you can't get them."

Maybe it's another subtle clue that they're going to make more?
Last edited by Sir Real on Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sir Real
Bronzesmith

Re: Why are there so many reviews posted to the news page?

Postby Brittac123 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:08 pm

I should probably let you know that on their Kickstarter updates they have been posting updates that hint at the possibility of new Ravens figures being put out in the future. They are asking Kickstarter patrons to give ideas as to what birds they would like to see next. Don't fret too much, I'm pretty sure that their success with this line of figures is inspiring them to spawn some new birds=]
Brittac123
Golden Grunt

Postby Sir Real » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:11 pm

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of the new birds (parrot, toucan so far). But I'm specifically commenting about the Cardinal, Owl, Vulture, etc., that so many out there still want and need. New birds are great, but they don't replace the first wave at all: in other words, if you get wave two and still don't have wave 1, you still want wave 1.

But I suppose these Cardinal, Rooster,etc. reviews also prove that the next batch of birds will be as good, since they're the same figure virtually, except for the head and so the reviews are also effectively advertising the next wave as well.
Sir Real
Bronzesmith

Postby TheToyDoc » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:43 pm

Two reasons I think the 4HM are doing this.

One is a matter of courtesy. If these sites /folks are gonna take the time to do a review I'd say the 4HM feel obliged to promote them, and rightly so.

Second, I think it's a good sign there will be a second run of the original Ravens. Of course this is just speculation but why wouldn't they? There's demand, the 4HM are businessmen, no brainer.
TheToyDoc
Apprentice

Postby EDcomics » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:26 pm

It does seem like a lot of reviews, and because of the Kickstarter and pre-sale sell-out, it does seem a bit odd to hype reviews when there's nothing to buy. Long sentence. With the new heads being shown off, though, I think another round of birds is just a matter of time. I don't know any details at all, but I think more often than not, if Eric sculpts something it's going to see production.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby mholst87 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:23 pm

EDcomics wrote: I think more often than not, if Eric sculpts something it's going to see production.

Certainly with the new birds the plan has to be to release them, but thinking back on Vampire Lady (+variants), Symbiotech (+variants), Magma CORPS, even some Power Lords and OSM stuff, NECA TMNT wave 2... There are A LOT of things that have been sculpted but never put into production, so you never really know.
mholst87
Golden Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:36 pm

mholst87 wrote:Certainly with the new birds the plan has to be to release them, but thinking back on Vampire Lady (+variants), Symbiotech (+variants), Magma CORPS, even some Power Lords and OSM stuff, NECA TMNT wave 2... There are A LOT of things that have been sculpted but never put into production, so you never really know.

Yeah, I'm well aware of those, but I was mainly thinking of in-house properties. When you count the Minotaurs, Anitherians, TimeKeepers, Queen's Court, Scarabus and "Ravens," I think it outweighs the Goth Femmes, Symbiotech and Magma Corps. I'd still like to have those figures, though, and I'm still holding on to hope that we'll get them. As for Power Lords, for example, I think that stuff will still see production.

As for the birds, the molds are made, and they're still new and in good condition (unlike the Anitherians, for example). I think the chances of a second wave seeing production are extremely high. True, you never REALLY know for sure, but I would bet on it at this point.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby The Gene Lantern » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:56 pm

LOL...I just want the bird stuff to pause so I can get those 2 new Power Lords figures....

*Twiddles thumbs and waits patiently for the pre-order*
The Gene Lantern
Bronze Grunt

Postby Sir Real » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:59 am

EDcomics wrote:As for the birds, the molds are made, and they're still new and in good condition (unlike the Anitherians, for example). I think the chances of a second wave seeing production are extremely high. True, you never REALLY know for sure, but I would bet on it at this point.

But what are the chances of series 1 being produced again?
Sir Real
Bronzesmith

Postby Tekwych » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:53 pm

Sir Real wrote:
EDcomics wrote:As for the birds, the molds are made, and they're still new and in good condition (unlike the Anitherians, for example). I think the chances of a second wave seeing production are extremely high. True, you never REALLY know for sure, but I would bet on it at this point.

But what are the chances of series 1 being produced again?

Series one was sold as limited edition. Even though there is demand this figures with those paint schemes should not be reproduced.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Golden Grunt

Postby domu » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 pm

Tekwych wrote:Series one was sold as limited edition.

Where was that ever stated?
Buying Test Shots. Looking for: Bolthor, B'alam & Snagg
domu
Bronze Apprentice

Postby mholst87 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:55 pm

domu wrote:
Tekwych wrote:Series one was sold as limited edition.

Where was that ever stated?

The closest thing I remember hearing about it was that they actually are planning to reissue Eagalus, so at least he apparently wasn't limited edition. I think whatever "limit" existed on them was just a result of how much money they had up-front to order them from the factory.
mholst87
Golden Grunt

Postby domu » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:04 pm

mholst87 wrote:The closest thing I remember hearing about it was that they actually are planning to reissue Eagalus, so at least he apparently wasn't limited edition. I think whatever "limit" existed on them was just a result of how much money they had up-front to order them from the factory.

That matches my recollection.
Buying Test Shots. Looking for: Bolthor, B'alam & Snagg
domu
Bronze Apprentice

Postby EDcomics » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Yeah, I don't recall anything about them being "limited edition." Of course, Minotaur the Duck won't be released again -- at least, not in those colors, and not with that name. The 4H did show off that Mallard prototype, so they're ok with using the mold. *shrug* Anyway, it does come down to whether or not you want new birds, or to go back and produce more of the initial run.

Though I do seem to recall Eric saying that if the birds DO get redone (the original assortment), there would be some sort of changes to the paint so they're not 100% identical to the original release. That might just mean gold moons instead of silver, or something like that. Something small. I don't know, exactly, but I don't think anything is set in stone yet.

As for the topic title, I also thought it was a little odd we had so many reviews being posted, but that's out of my hands. Moving forward, one of the goals should be to synchronize news items with release dates, events, etc... It has to make sense. With reviews, if a new one pops up, it's kind of like "Well, we might as well post this. Why not?" But then, there's no stock in the store, so what good does it do, except to frustrate people? Or maybe frustrating people is good if you're ready to release a second wave of birds. We're not at that point, though, so... Yeah, it's kind of a strategy game.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Sir Real » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:42 pm

EDcomics wrote:...Anyway, it does come down to whether or not you want new birds, or to go back and produce more of the initial run...

Does it though? They all (s1 and s2) use the same body mold, so why couldn't a new run encompass all the designs from both series at the same time? You'd have a few more heads, and a few more paint schemes to set up, but it's not like they're different characters and different molds, at least not for the body, which is most of it.

Maybe we're dealing with a maximum number of figures produced overall no matter what, say 100,000. Let's say there's 10 designs in s1 and 10 designs in s2 (to make the math easier), then if the run is all s2, you get 10k of each s2 design. But if you do both s1 and s2 in the same run to get that same 100,000 total overall, that means there's only 5k of each design in s1 and 5k of each design in s2. Is that what you mean by having to choose, since you'd ultimately want 10k of each s2, so there's no room to also make some of the s1's?
Sir Real
Bronzesmith

Next

Return to Gothitropolis & Raven Kickstarter