THE MISSING MEL: THE BIRNKRANT MYSTERY...

Re: THE MISSING MEL: THE BIRNKRANT MYSTERY...

Postby Mindless-Focus » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:03 pm

That's actually really great news! Really glad to hear this! Now we need to convince them to get on the forums. Man, the 4H making strives.
[This space for rent. Inquire within.]
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Mindless-Focus » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Not to derail the Mel thread, but are they pitching in on the Piwer Lirds line too?
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Mindless-Focus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:09 am

Mel, please come home. We really miss you. Do you not miss us? Please? Pretty please?
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Jeff Cope » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:07 pm

Mindless-Focus wrote:Mel, please come home. We really miss you. Do you not miss us? Please? Pretty please?

Seconded! Come back Mel!
Jeff Cope
Standard Grunt

Postby Izdawiz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:27 pm

I don't know, when / if Mel is going to come back to the forums, but I do know Mel's been really busy documenting parts of his MASSIVE collection. I got a chance to see it when I visited his house a couple years back so I kno wthat photographing and documenting is easily the equivalent of a full time job and then some.
Izdawiz
Smith

Postby Tad Ghostal » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:22 am

The Man just recently finished his project and it is awesome - check it out if you have a few minutes or a few days:

http://melbirnkrant.com/collection/index.html
Tad Ghostal
Bronze Grunt

Postby slackrguy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:01 pm

I really dig the Buck Rogers style. I'm also a fan of Flash Gordon designs in the same kind of style.

A revival figure line for one of those properties (in those particular styles) would make me very happy. :)
slackrguy
Silver Grunt

Postby Tad Ghostal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:38 pm

slackrguy wrote:I really dig the Buck Rogers style. I'm also a fan of Flash Gordon designs in the same kind of style.

A revival figure line for one of those properties (in those particular styles) would make me very happy. :)

Wow - I hadn't gotten to that section yet! In Mel's words: Is this fabulous or what!

Dazzling. Simply dazzling.
Tad Ghostal
Bronze Grunt

Postby osm5422 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:08 pm

Mel's new site is amazing! I loved reading about the big MIckey doll. It would take forever to read the whole site but one day I might have time to read it all. I got to meet Mel in 1991, and again in the late '90s, both at the Atlantique City show back when it was worth going to. He's was awesome to meet in person. In 1991 I was lucky enough to buy the rare 2nd series aliens from him at the show, and I don't know what was more exciting, getting the aliens or the fact that he invited me and my brother to sit down and talk with him for a couple hours. It was a very memorable time. Mel is supposed to be at the NY comicon tomorrow but we can't see him. The convention doesn't sell tickets at the door :-(
osm5422

Postby Izdawiz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:55 pm

Yup, the stuff Mel has been posting is amazing. As much as I'd like to have him with us here shooting the breeze, documenting his collection is absolutely the best use of his time right now.

We are so lucky to have someone with Mel's passion, eloquence, technological savvy and willingness to share this collection he's spent a lifetime amassing with us. It's not just the vastness of what he's collected or the rarity of the treasures or the fact that he has magnificent taste it's also in how he's displayed it, the lighting and the moods evoked, etc

Other than actually visiting Mel, the internet is the best tool possible when it comes to being able to share in the joy of his collection because it has an inner glow to it that really comes through on an illuminated view screen. Being able to spend hours zooming in and out of photographs is a real treat. And when Mel tells you that if you close one eye you can see his displays in 3D, do it, because it really works!!
Izdawiz
Smith

Previous

Return to OSM - The Outer Space Men