The Outer Space Men - General Discussion Thread

The Outer Space Men - General Discussion Thread

Postby Jeff Cope » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:05 am

Until such time there's offical sub-sections here, I wanted to create a one-stop place to discuss all things OSM!

I love the OSM. I love the vintage science fiction styling and imagination of the characters, and love the new toys from the 4H.

So, here's a place to chat about OSM...old and new...and even dream a little bit about what the future may hold.
Jeff Cope
Standard Grunt

Re: The Outer Space Men - General Discussion Thread

Postby slackrguy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:57 am

I didn't really get into the OSM until this year. I knew they were out there but mainly focused on purchasing MOTUC.

The NYTF Toypocalypse pics got me interested because of the variety of offerings that are coming up. I like a few lady figures to be peppered into a toyline. Not necessarily 50/50, but just enough to sort of "round out" the figure environment. (I also checked out Mel's website and saw his sketchbook and hopefully there is more stuff in there that we'll see as well.)

So I took a chance and got the 1st 2 waves (2.0 versions) and they rocked my socks. Then I got the other 4 Infinity Edition waves. I really like their classic sci-fi feel and for me, the retro-ness of them is what makes them really stand out in today's toy market.

I'm not likely to get any alpha or beta waves this year because MOTUC is already taking up a chunk of my budget til the end of 2013, but I think 2014 will allow me to more freely choose what I spend on a month to month basis. :)
slackrguy
Silver Grunt

Postby Jeff Cope » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:16 pm

I only get the Infinity Editions. That's mostly an economic decision, but also a preference. It makes it a long, long wait between releases...usually at least a year. That's the only downfall to the line, for me. But, OSM remains one of my favorite lines to collect.

I love vintage sci-fi. Most science fiction from the 40s - 60s is far more imaginative and entertaining (to me) that more modern stuff that is more strongly based upon the scientific advances made in more recently decades. The speculation and guesswork of the early sci fi writers, while sometimes (ok, often) cheesy and totally implausible, I just find to be charming and fun. And, this is what the OSM represent to me. Crazy aliens. Big bubble space helmets. Fantastic worlds to explore. It's great stuff. So thankful to Mel for tapping into that (as well as other sources he cites such as the writings of Lovecraft) and creating these guys. And, even more thankful to the 4H for bringing back AND in my favorite scale even!

I don't know if I want to see anything new OSM-related from Comic Con. There's still a bunch that's been shown that we don't have yet. So, I will wait patiently for the next Infinity release!
Jeff Cope
Standard Grunt

Postby Tad Ghostal » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 am

I've gushed about the OSM so many times in so many places all over the internet, I'm sure I'll be repeating myself...

One thing in my favor in being a OSM completist is that I have cut WAY back on action figure collecting - as a matter of fact, as far as self-contained lines are concerned, OSM is the only one I'm still actively seeking out. Same reasons as Jeff has - economics and personal preference. I missed the MOTU, Transformers, GI Joe, TMNT, and yes, even Power Lords, Golden Ages when I was in high school and college, so those characters never meant anything to me.

But the Outer Space Men... for forty years, anytime anyone asked me what my favorite toy was - it was a tie between Astro Nautilus and Colossus Rex. The fact that I still remembered their names after so long (and to be honest, I didn't HAVE them very long - both were lost early on, probably within a year of getting them. I'm sure they weren't "evergreen" store stock either. {I wonder how long they really were on sale in department and toy stores}) [where was i?] oh yes - they left an indelible impression.

Flashforward 40 years, and I'm thrilled to be collecting essentially two distinctly different OSM lines - the Infinities and all the pre-phases. I was cracked for colored translucent action figures before the OSM were announced, so when the business model for each year was apparent, with 3 different phases, well, Please Take My Money.

2013 looks to be VERY expensive as far as this line is concerned - but I will be there for every release - including what I hope will be future Cosmic Creator series in years to come, and eventually a second White Star edition.

I just hope that those last few Outer Space Women get released next year!
Tad Ghostal
Bronze Grunt

Postby RebelTrooper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:15 am

I too am curious to see if there will be another round of Cosmic Creator series Four Horsemen Edition.

The White Star Edition looks cool and it will be interesting to see if they do the later waves(Waves 5 though 7 and the Deluxe figures) in white as well, or if they might do the later waves in black.

I also can't wait to see what the colors will be for the upcoming Beta Phase.

If they stick to colors that they've used in the past(which I personally hope they do), there are six colors to choose from for the six figures:

-Blue transparent
-Glow in the dark like the Alpha Phase Electron+ figure
-Pink transparent
-Red transparent
-Turquoise/Blue-Green transparent like the Alpha Phase Alpha 7 figure
-Yellow transparent
RebelTrooper
Bronze Grunt

Postby Tad Ghostal » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Hey RT - I'll play guess the Beta colors:

Blue - Horrorscope (or Rex)
GITD - Oprah (or Gamma - I believe Mel said his Infinity version is planned to be GITD)
Pink - Terra (or Horror)
Red - Jack (or Oprah)
Turquoise - Rex (or Jack)
Yellow - Gamma (or terra)

regarding future Cosmic Creator series, I think those will be up to some outside entity (like Garry or AFX) to make available, but I would LOVE to see more of those fluorescent day-glo colors!

And Cyclops, Orbitron and Gemini need Mel's awesome Light Show treatment as well!
Tad Ghostal
Bronze Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:45 pm

I want a red Colossus Rex and a day glo lime Astro Nautilus.
[This space for rent. Inquire within.]
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby slackrguy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:32 am

I kinda like to see Jack & Terra in green.

Fisher Price had these translucent green adventure people named X-Ray Man & X-Ray Woman that I never had but always remember.

I just think it'd be neat.
slackrguy
Silver Grunt

Postby Tekwych » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:47 am

I loved the Adventure People (Truly the first US use of the 1:18 scale) Your talking about Figures 57 & 58 On the Figure Guide. There is still debate on which came first Microman or Adventure People (they were within 6 months of each other but street dates were not such a big deal back then).

I had a dozen or more Adventure People but the true Kings of my Playroom was Mobile Action Command. The M.A.C. Mountain Rescue Center was always the center of the action, even for Matt Mason, the Metal Men and my Micronauts.

The Mountain Rescue Center is one of my two Holy Grails but the chance of finding anything from this line in good condition these days is slim to none.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Golden Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Look what I spotted during the Raven KS video. Looks like test shots of Colossus Rex and Adam Powers.

Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby jonwes » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Sadness!

I took my OSM collection from my office at work home. I packed them carefully in a box between cushy sheets of paper. I get am setting up my collection at home, and see my Birnkrant Edition Inferno's fire backpack has come off. I go to reattach... and the peg has broken off in his back! I really thought the plastic was too pliable for such a thing! Sooooo bummed since he's essentially a $30 figure! :(

So be careful everyone! Hopefully mine was just a weird one-off.
jonwes
Silver Grunt

Postby slackrguy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:14 pm

Sorry for that little bit of suckage in your life jonwes. I hope you are able to figure out a solution or workaround for it.
slackrguy
Silver Grunt

Postby jonwes » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:44 am

Thanks. I think I can probably just glue it back.
jonwes
Silver Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:11 am

Was it the peg and a plug that goes into the flame portion? If yo, I've had this happen to Mystron. I think it's a combination of heat softening the PVC and weak glue. I had to use professional vinyl weld to finally get mine to work.
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby jonwes » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:46 pm

It's the peg that goes into his back from the fire. Hoping some decent glue will take care of it. In AWESOME news, the Collection DX interview with the 4H had a quick look at some test shots from the final waves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJYxhY_ ... 85F5A6F65D

Gamma X looks so cool! I can't wait to see it. The armor looks amazing. They also said that Matt D. is working on maybe trying to get an Alpha 7 saucer vehicle made. Head X-plode! Hope they can make that work.
jonwes
Silver Grunt

Next

Return to OSM - The Outer Space Men