2013 Holiday OSM Arrive!

2013 Holiday OSM Arrive!

Postby Tad Ghostal » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:05 am

It's a New Year's Miracle! Without warning, USPS delivered a package of long-awaited goodies form the frozen tundra of New Jersey this morning!

All in all, not a bad selection of toys, though I do have a few nits to pick.

Above: My OSM Holiday lineup, comprised of the most festive combinations of Holiday, Infinity and Birnkrant CC wave figures and accessories.

I've included a second Gamma X in the mix, as I think the mashup of white, clear, metallic and translucent blue parts make for a cool Winter Warlock/White Walker effect. Not exactly festive, but certainly chilling...

The Good:

Ni's paint and finishes are surprisingly dynamic. Ed mentioned the iridescent effects on the main page when he posted photos, and he was right; light really plays with the appearance of all the figures, albeit in different ways for each. The silver metallic accessories really pop against these paint jobs.

Terra and Jack legs appear opaque metallic orange, but when backlit are translucent!

Horroscope's head is a real standout - it appeared in the early photos (I may have seen on a different board - Matt's maybe?) that the heads of Horro were not all identical - a range of greens, golds, reds and mixtures thereof. I got a mixture version and think it's great! Her bright transluscent purple body has a silver overlay that disappears when back-lit and gives her a frosty look when front-lit.

Ohpro's pink body is surprisingly vivid for a smoke grey base. the finish gives her a real glass appearance and there is a really lovely wash effect on her gold head(s) that has the feel of very old-school ornament patina. Very nice. I might eventually display her without the helmet for good to show this off.

Gamma X has the same glass-like finish, and Ni's signature blending style is nicely showcased here. His silver head also is the opaque/translucent hybrid.

Colossus Rex might be my least favorite, but that doesn't mean it's a bad figure/paint job. His head, hands and feet have a matching green opaque metallic finish that looks (again) like a Christopher Radko Christmas ornament - appropriate for the Holiday wave. The color and sparkles in his armor are really subtle. (I had a tough time initially getting Rex's staff into either hand, but after it was in the house for a while and warmed up, it finally slipped in fairly easily. It's been pretty frickin' cold this week, which is why I think it was tough going right out of the box)

The Bad:

Overall, I really would have liked to get Gold accessories for most of these figures, as I think that would have made them look a bit more properly finished, given the color schemes. Gamma X is the only one I would have preferred in Silver (and that's only for use on other versions), but the gold would have really worked with the yellow arms anyway, and I think we'll get at least a silver back-half of his armor for the Infinity version. The silver probably works best on the two astronauts - the contrast works great, but again I think the gold would have pushed them further into the Holiday ornament realm. I'll probably swap Metalmorpho's and Ohpromatem's metallic discs and knobs for the long haul too. Depending on what Infinity Rex's armor looks like, I may swap that out as well. The black doesn't scream Holiday, and I think an opportunity was missed to make this gold or red.

The Ugly:
Right off the bat - the Flags are of the Alpha Phase/Crap.0 vintage. Inexcusable. The upgraded flags would have worked great on the silver accessories (I wonder which version will be shipping with the upcoming separate Silver accessory pack)

There are NO extra arms for ANY of the figures.

Resealable plastic bags of the same kind that were used in the first 3 years of the OSM non-Infinity phases are okay (but still no card toppers), but Colossus arrived in a Glad Ziploc Sandwich bag. ("blue and yellow make green") Oh, the indignity.

The price point. I've rationalized it to myself in another thread, but $33 apiece for these figures feels like too much, coming from the point of view that the OSM Faithful were expecting a Fourth Annual Holiday phase selection, and are offered either expensive customs, or REALLY expensive customs. I'd be interested to see if there is a Completist left in our bunch. I might have been a little more forgiving if these shipped on time, or even earlier, in the first place, too.

The Wrap Up:
These are some nice looking figures. Ni did a great job, and although I would have made some different choices, or at least given some different direction (I'd be interested in learning how much direction he did receive from the 4H, and how much back and forth there was prior to production), they are an interesting addition to my OSM collection. They occupy an area between the translucents and the painted Infinity and Cosmic Creator versions, and I'm going to have fun trying to figure out where and how to display them.
It's nice to get a couple more translucent purples in the mix, and some of the decos scream Holiday more than others (even more than previous Holiday releases). I just wish this whole release was just a *little* more perfect.

(PS - I'd like to trade my Mystron Holiday metallic Blue accessories for the Lavender ones someday - I have a thread in the Trade forum for anyone interested a trade :) )
Tad Ghostal
Bronze Grunt

Re: 2013 Holiday OSM Arrive!

Postby slackrguy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Those look great! Is there a face on Gamma X's armor in the one shot? is there supposed to be?

(how did you do the pictures without the picture box?)

Thanks for sharing those.
slackrguy
Silver Grunt

Postby Tad Ghostal » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:06 pm

slackrguy wrote:Those look great! Is there a face on Gamma X's armor in the one shot? is there supposed to be?

(how did you do the pictures without the picture box?)

Thanks for sharing those.

There's a couple of raised circles on the armor's faceplate that gives the illusion of a face. It's a little cooler on the clear armors.

Do you mean the proportions of the photos? I cropped them in Photoshop before posting.

And you're welcome! I've enjoyed your mashups in the other thread too. We should start a separate Foto Fun with the OSM thread (there was one on the last board)
Tad Ghostal
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Sounds like a fair review to me. That's some collection you've got there. That rainbow Inferno... Is that from the Toypocalypse Ni customs?
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Tad Ghostal » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:41 pm

EDcomics wrote:Sounds like a fair review to me. That's some collection you've got there. That rainbow Inferno... Is that from the Toypocalypse Ni customs?

Thanks Ed. I actually commissioned that Inferno a couple of years ago she I met Ni at NYCC (the price of that was part of my calculation-justification to pull the trigger on the Holiday set.
Tad Ghostal
Bronze Grunt

Postby nick » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:52 am

I ordered a Holiday set and an Ultra Holiday set (and the Series 5 Deluxe 1 Infinity set, but won't go into them here). Received them on Saturday 1/4. I let the accessory colors default. For past Holiday editions I bought a set with each color accessories, but with the Ultra edition in play I could barely afford one of each edition, nice but ouch what a total cost! Still haven't figured out what if any different options were actually shipped but I figured it's useful to list what I received.

All regular holiday figures seem to start with clear figures? Or are they translucent color? The ultra ones are all white figures. The soles of their feet remain white

Jack Asteroid Holiday - Chrome Silver: helmet, chestpiece, sphere on magnet, gun, flagpole. Translucent painted figure and magnet
Jack Asteroid Ultra - Blue transparent all of the above in addition to chrome . Painted white figure and magnet (no alternate). mystery small orange sphere with peg - like Ohpromatem's top of helmet sphere for turning but smaller

Terra Firma - matches above in accessories

Horrorscope Holiday - yes different colored head from the store pic, the head on mine is sort of metallic red copper in front and on some tentacles metallic emerald on back and other tentacles. Chrome silver staff, gun, helmet, navel.
Horrorscope Ultra - same chrome accessories plus a transparent blue set. Head like the store picture

Ohpromatem Holiday - chrome top of helmet sphere (not seen on store shot), navel. Two clear weapons.
Ohpromatem Ultra - clear blue sphere and navel in addition to chrome above. Just 2 clear weapons, no alternate colors

metamorpho holiday - chrome gun, weather wane, armor/helmet. The armor was very tough to open the first attempt but with patience it opened. Very nice colors
metamorpho ultra - same but with extra clear blue accessories

colossus rex holiday - chrome shield with clear green clip, mace, trident. black sparkle chest piece. great metallic green on head
colossus rex ultra - same with extra clear blue accessories painted chestpiece (no alternate)
nick

Postby RebelTrooper » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:24 pm

Has anyone other than Nick received their Ultra Holiday Editions yet? I'm guessing that he was the only one to get them as he ordered a full set of 6 of them. I only ordered 2 of them myself.

Doing the math, I guess more should ship out this week according to what Cornboy mentioned a couple of weeks ago.
RebelTrooper
Bronze Grunt

Postby Clambo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52 am

I received one of the four I ordered of the Holiday Editions. Any word on when the others will be shipped?
Please make a DCUC Warlord and/or Sgt. Rock... oh wait, Matty killed the line.
Clambo
Bronze Grunt

Postby RebelTrooper » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Clambo wrote:I received one of the four I ordered of the Holiday Editions. Any word on when the others will be shipped?

Hey Clambo,

Was the Holiday Edition figure you received an Ultra version?

I'm just curious because I have 2 Ultras on order and haven't received either of them yet.

Thanks.
RebelTrooper
Bronze Grunt

Postby RebelTrooper » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Has anyone received any of the Ultra Holiday Edition figures in the past few days? I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.
RebelTrooper
Bronze Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:24 pm

Min just showed up at the end of last week.
[This space for rent. Inquire within.]
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby RebelTrooper » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:59 pm

Mindless-Focus wrote:Min just showed up at the end of last week.

Cool, thanks for letting me know, MF. I guess they will show up anytime now.

Did you happen to get a shipping notice?
RebelTrooper
Bronze Grunt

Postby Clambo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:42 am

RebelTrooper wrote:
Clambo wrote:I received one of the four I ordered of the Holiday Editions. Any word on when the others will be shipped?

Hey Clambo,

I'm just curious because I have 2 Ultras on order and haven't received either of them yet.

Thanks.

Sorry man, just saw this. No, I ordered two Ultra's and two of the non-Ultra Holiday editions. I received one of the non-Ultra's. I still have two Ultra's and one non-Ultra I'm waiting for. Seems like they'd have said something more about these at this point. How many others are still waiting? Has anyone heard anything?
Clambo
Bronze Grunt

Postby RebelTrooper » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:32 am

Clambo wrote:
RebelTrooper wrote:

Hey Clambo,

Thanks.

Sorry man, just saw this. No, I ordered two Ultra's and two of the non-Ultra Holiday editions. I received one of the non-Ultra's. I still have two Ultra's and one non-Ultra I'm waiting for. Seems like they'd have said something more about these at this point. How many others are still waiting? Has anyone heard anything?

No problem, Clambo. Thanks for the reply.

I guess it's just really slow going considering most of the figures(especially the Ultras) have to be made to order.
RebelTrooper
Bronze Grunt

Postby Clambo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:29 pm

The rest of mine arrived today. I'm digging them overall. The Ultras are a bit rushed looking, paint wise that is. Not worth the extra $ really, but I wanted to hold them in person and was willing to risk it. Not unhappy with them, but won't be going for any others in this fashion. Personal opinion though, to each his own. I got the GH Ultra Terra and Jack, in case you were wondering. I also got the GH NON-ultra Rex and Gamma-X and they kick ass.

Bring on the Infinity editions.
Clambo
Bronze Grunt

Next

Return to OSM - The Outer Space Men