Is This The End?

Is This The End?

Postby Spectre2001 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:49 pm

If I missed a post somewhere then sorry, but I'm curious if with this friday's sale does that mark the end of the line for the Outer Spacemen.

Or are we going to see more female versions or different aliens in the future.

Spec
Spectre2001

Re: Is This The End?

Postby Adam16bit » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:33 pm

I've been seeing things in interviews indicating it's the end-ish. I'd be stunned if SOMEONE didn't put out at least one exclusive recolor somewhere... and personally I hope we see Astrodite (Kickstarter or otherwise) and/or some more glow-in-the-dark figures. But if this is it, well, I did spend close to $1,000 on 80ish figures, so it wouldn't be the worst thing. :)

Is anyone left wanting more? I'd love to buy a few more painted guys, but I think the OSM series has killed my enthusiasm for clear recolors of any kind in any line. They're nice, I don't plan on selling them... but I don't need more.
--AP
16bit.com
Galactichunter.com
OuterSpaceMenNews.blogspot.com
Adam16bit
Standard Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:11 pm

I want a painted Astronautilus. Body painted as normal in any appropriate colors but the fleshy bits painted in a greenish thermochromatic paint that changes to a fleshy orange color plastic underneath. That's what I really want. OR a fully painted Astro that has clear neon green (Onell phase color) fleshy bits.
[This space for rent. Inquire within.]
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Izdawiz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:21 am

I guess it depends on how well Jack and Terra sell. I could see these being really popular figures. I always kind of wanted a bunch of astronauts from different countries.
Izdawiz
Smith

Postby nick » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:18 am

I'd love to see some more Outer Space Men though I am thankful the original 2 series are all released + some additions. Since half the figures have had a Mel Birnkrant Edition, that's definitely something I'd like to see completed.

P.S. - Garry pointed out how fantastic the Mel Birnkrant 2nd set of figures look backlit as select parts are transparent! Would definitely recommend picking up a set since there are only a couple left.

I guess in hindsight I see how all the alpha, beta, white star editions, holiday prior to 2013 being sold help the figures get produced, but still I'm thinking that seeing so many more of them out there than the Infinity Editions, and even calling Infinity an "edition" probably leaves the impression of a big series of variants where only some are available at a relatively high price. So I'm just sort of round about saying the best looking finished ones just don't get seen and sold to the public as much as they should, don't think they are being discovered by more people as they deserve to be. If the more of the Infinity edition were easily available (not that they aren't in part but what is available at any one time is a bit lost in the shuffle and probably has a feeling of being late to the party) -then perhaps their outstanding nature would be more recognized. Wonderful sculpts, but with the infinity paint the latest ones about to be released looked outstanding at the Toy Tokyo show
Last edited by nick on Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nick

Postby Bruce_Jensen » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:48 am

Im with nick in being thankful that the series 2 aliens have made it to production. There were many years that those figures were just pictures on my computer. The few prototype figures that exist from colorforms are too hard to find, and too expensive if you can!

There was a time somewhere along the way through the Four Horsemen edition of these figures, that I worried if we'd really see them all. We did get them and four more as well! Three of those four were a really good reuse of molds to help bring new characters, without resorting to all new sculpts. It's a more welcome and exciting way to amortize costs than a large number of clear color variants.

I'd sure love to see some new, original figures in the spirit of the original 13, but I'm getting greedy now I suppose :-D

Thank you Four Horsemen for an exciting revisit of these characters! Awesome work. Thank you MEL for being the creative force behind the OSM.

~ and guys, if new characters do come, I'll be there to buy them.
Bruce_Jensen

Postby Jeff Cope » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:33 pm

I'm actually ok with this being the end of the line (if, indeed, that's the case). I'm also so thankful we got all the original characters AND the astronauts to boot! I'm a HUGE fan of the OSM but, I'm also ok with my Infinity edition collection being finite.

Just in time to move on to Power Lords!
Jeff Cope
Standard Grunt

Postby dwaltrip » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Jeff Cope wrote:I'm actually ok with this being the end of the line (if, indeed, that's the case). I'm also so thankful we got all the original characters AND the astronauts to boot! I'm a HUGE fan of the OSM but, I'm also ok with my Infinity edition collection being finite.

Just in time to move on to Power Lords!

Same here, I got everything out of the line I could have asked for. (maybe even a little to much as far as the translucents go)

So I am fine with where the line is at, if that means it is the end.
dwaltrip
Golden Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:44 pm

I have some frustration over the OSM line. I do wish there had been a chance to do some MOTU2K-style redesigns, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I wonder if people burned out on the clear exclusives, and if that translated somehow into people not buying the Cosmic Creator 4H Editions... just as an example. I think I heard those didn't sell as well as expected. The Birnkrant $100+ Edition... I'm not surprised if those didn't go over too well. That wave broke the completionist in me. The initial 4H Creator Edition, in my opinion, was the best release of those initial four characters. I really wish we could have had the rest of the characters in a similar color scheme.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Mindless-Focus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:10 pm

I have the same frustrations as you do. What really aggrivated me was the all white wave breaking tradition and the lack of this last gamma or holiday wave. While cool, they just were spendy. I bowed out on the Ultra editions. Way too spendy. Technically I'm no longer a true completist as I don't have any Ultras. I'm not counting those in my head since I got the regular holiday editions.

What really sucks is that I bought a lit 16"x16" glass display cabinet with 5 glass shelves in it. Top shelf was Infinity (as it should be). Second one was the Alpha shelf. Next was Beta. Then Gamma (Holiday) which was followed by the Creator Edition shelf. Well, when they broke tradition, it really broke the look. Now I just look at it, while I'm glad we got all the characters, a tear rolls down my cheek. Not sure if it a happy tear or a tear of disappointment.
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby EDcomics » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Well, if you get some molding and casting materials, you could probably make your own Alphas and Betas in the colors you want. It would be a heck of a project, but it would allow you to fill in your display case properly.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Mindless-Focus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Overall, I'm pretty happy we got them all. I'm happy I own them all. They will all be displayed in the OSM case. Still love the line. Would jump on any new character they release. I love the whole future retro look. I realize it's time for them to move on and am glad it's in the form of the Power Lords. It hits all the highlights I love. I will always look back and remember how fun it was to collect this line. I still miss Mel Birnkrant not being here.
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Jeff Cope » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:26 pm

Mindless-Focus wrote: I still miss Mel Birnkrant not being here.

Yeah, me too. It was pretty amazing having him around, getting his side of the creation of the original figures and his thoughts and notes on the 4Hs recreation. It was truly a priviledge.
Jeff Cope
Standard Grunt

Postby dwaltrip » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:53 pm

Jeff Cope wrote:
Mindless-Focus wrote: I still miss Mel Birnkrant not being here.

Yeah, me too. It was pretty amazing having him around, getting his side of the creation of the original figures and his thoughts and notes on the 4Hs recreation. It was truly a priviledge.

It was a bummer to never see him sign up with the new forum. His presence has always been missed on the boards. I also think him not being around here also hurt the line somewhat because he helped bring an excitement to it.
dwaltrip
Golden Grunt

Postby osm5422 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:19 pm

I would love to see a 3rd series of aliens produced. Is the sales on Power Lords actually better to justify there not being a 3rd series? Of course I am biased (been into OSM since '73) but I see the OSM as massively cooler looking than Power Lords, but then again I also think those animal creatures Four Horsemen put out had a lot more eye appeal than Power Lords too. I guess what we really need is the Outer Space Men becoming a super hot property with a successful cartoon or something, then there could be all kinds of cool merchandise and a much greater demand for further series.
osm5422

Next

Return to OSM - The Outer Space Men