Power Lords in 2016?

Feel the Pow-- No, this description thing could get cheesy way too quickly.

Power Lords in 2016?

Postby Jayd » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Four Horsemen wrote:Hi All.

I wanted to jump in here and set some things straight before speculation started to get out of hand. I could write up responses to all of the issues point by point here, but I really feel like it would be more productive to address the bigger picture. The past is the past, and we'd love to go back and make a lot of different decisions along the way, but this business is a learning process no matter how long we've been in it. Certain things like the newsletter just flat out didn't work, but for most of the issues there is always a good reason for why things are done the way they are done.

To address the biggest elephant in the room: The line has not been abandoned, and it hasn't been until we say it has. It's moving at a snail's pace, but we have not forgotten Power Lords, and we certainly haven't ignored it. Although the release schedule has been underwhelming, the amount of work that we are putting in behind the scenes has been tremendous. We've put hundreds of hours into sculpting and developing what we hope is the future of the line. So far we have prototyped Sydot, Raygoth, the Power Soldier Assassin, and Disguyzor. There are other characters that have been started as well. Each one of those has at least 4-5 variants. Those include multiple head sculptures, multiple accessories, and multiple paint masters. There are other things that we have been working on in an attempt to revitalize the line that we can't reveal yet, but again a lot of work has gone into it.

So where does that leave us now: We are currently finalizing the sculpting and fabrication on the above mentioned characters. This has been a tough hill to climb lately. We have been slammed with Mattel work (which actually pays the bills here), and we are in the midst of a colossal move here at the office. (This is also why we've been so quiet since SDCC.) Once the the prototypes have been 100% finalized then they will be shipped to China for pricing. As soon as we get those numbers and have time to analyze them we will put up a large pre-order for what we are calling series 2. That will probably be three of the figures plus variants. The plan is that it will be the most amount of Power Lords product that we've offered at once to date. If that goes well, then we will follow a similar approach to speed up the releases and make up for some lost time.

Power Lords was set up with a plan based on the way that Outer Space Men was handled. With OSM we took a while, but we did accomplish what we set out to do which was getting all of the original characters out to fans. We were even able to get 4 extra characters done, which was an amazing bonus. With PL the same system just flat out didn't work, and it's taken us a while to figure out how exactly we can make it happen. The simple fact is that the numbers just didn't work. We think that given the right set-up the numbers can work. We've taken so much time and put so much thought into retooling things because we want to make sure and get as many characters as possible out there. We want them all!

Now I want to just speak about this line on a personal level. Power Lords is one of my favorite toy lines of all time, and it's possibly had more influence on me creatively than any other. To get this license and work on these figures has been an ultimate dream project in a career filled with dream projects. I understand the frustration with the lack of movement on this line. I apologize for that, and we are all sorry for that here at the studio. Trust me, it's frustrating from our end as well. As a fan I just want more figures. As a toymaker I want to sculpt more figures. So far I've invested thousands of hours, years of development, and a ton of money into line. It's all been worth it because it's Power Lords. I still think that Power Lords was way ahead of it's time, and I think that even though the wait sucks that Power Lords is worth the wait.

-Eric
Four Horsemen

So this has been dormant for a long time. Any chance we'll see something regarding these during Toyfair? I hope so because these were some of my favorite figures over the past couple years. I thought we were going to get some kind of pre-order late last year but didn't see that so hopefully the 4H will shed some light on the progress of these.
Last edited by Jayd on Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jayd
Standard Grunt

Re: Power Lords in 2016

Postby Ghost Whisper » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:08 pm

Sadly, I have pretty much given up on them. :(
Ghost Whisper
Silver Grunt

Re: Power Lords in 2016?

Postby Jayd » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:25 am

I'm in it for the long haul so any passage of time has no effect on me as long as they are still planning to release new figures I will get them. Hopefully we will get some more news in the next few weeks with Toyfair. I saw they got a booth there so lets hope they have some stuff on display.
Jayd
Standard Grunt

Postby Ghost Whisper » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Jayd wrote:I'm in it for the long haul so any passage of time has no effect on me as long as they are still planning to release new figures I will get them. Hopefully we will get some more news in the next few weeks with Toyfair. I saw they got a booth there so lets hope they have some stuff on display.

What would having anything on display at Toyfair do? They had some on display at SDCC and what have we received since then?
Ghost Whisper
Silver Grunt

Postby Roland of Gilead » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:25 pm

I love these guys, but there's a part of me that wants to sell the whole lot to buy more Mythic Legions.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:27 pm

Despite this line never growing legs, I still love it and would collect anything they release still.
[This space for rent. Inquire within.]
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby JafariStew » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:34 am

We are almost at the 1 year mark of no new releases (not even recolors)... :geek:
JafariStew
Bronze Grunt

Postby Ghost Whisper » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:20 am

Nothing Power Lords at NYTF? I guess I shouldn't be surprised if there was not.
Ghost Whisper
Silver Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:43 am

I think they are done. Oh well.
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby EDcomics » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Mindless-Focus wrote:I think they are done. Oh well.

Not done. Just moving very slowly. Some work has actually been done on the figures very recently. I really want to see the stuff get produced, so every step taken gets us a tiny bit closer to getting the figures in hand. It's a brutal wait, but I think it'll be well worth it in the end. I'll try to get more information to post on here ASAP.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Mindless-Focus » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:13 am

Well, I love the property. I WILL buy everything they release. It's just over a year of nothing. I just hope time doesn't lapse on the rights.
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby djaimox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:10 pm

Yes it has been a while since we have seen new power lords figures. but i can wait. the work that has been done on this line so far has been absolutely awesome. i prefer to be patient and have great sculpts, cards and paint jobs on these than having things needlessly rushed. PLEASE 4HM, TAKE YOUR TIME ! As long as you are interested in producing this line, i ll keep picking them up (especially the carded and painted ones)
djaimox

Postby Mindless-Focus » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:57 am

I just really wanted a Sydot and variants. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Ghost Whisper » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:19 pm

EDcomics wrote:Not done. Just moving very slowly. Some work has actually been done on the figures very recently. I really want to see the stuff get produced, so every step taken gets us a tiny bit closer to getting the figures in hand. It's a brutal wait, but I think it'll be well worth it in the end. I'll try to get more information to post on here ASAP.

How's that update coming along???
Ghost Whisper
Silver Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:45 pm

:( :( :(

I can't even anymore.
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Next

Return to Power Lords