Power Lords Returning -- new reveals at SDCC 2017

Feel the Pow-- No, this description thing could get cheesy way too quickly.

Re: Power Lords Returning -- new reveals at SDCC 2017

Postby DennyCrane » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:18 am

I honestly think they would get a lot more preorders if they would show the added articulation. Most people are visual in their shopping habits. I could never get into the first releases due to the t-joint legs and other design choices. But I could sure get into a bunch of robot soldiers in deep ninja stances looking bad-ass on a shelf! The weird alien designs lend themselves well to action poses, but you can't see them, just visualize what "might be possible" based on the description. It would be a shame for the project not to succeed due to sins of the past, now that they're upping the POA, simply because they're not showcasing the improvements. I also think the overall artist designs are stronger this time around, enough to turn my head at least.

Btw @Izdawiz - How soft did the resin protos feel? Hard resin or pliable mix? It's hard to peg what materials modern toys are made from, but I hear it has some resin content. The term PVC-resin is tossed around a lot. "Plastic" is too generic, as there are about a million forms of the stuff. For instance a lot of "vinyl" toys aren't even labeled as such. But they're still part vinyl.
Shop DC Collectibles for Pop Culture Entertainment -
Hot Toys, Action Figures, Game & Hobby, Comic Book, Retro / Vintage & More!
http://DCCollect.com • Daily Specials • #24Tuesday • Org member discount • More!
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby Sallah » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 am

Our Power Lords interview with Cornboy is now up for anyone that wants to check it out...

At our page- http://www.actionfeatures.net/2017/09/action-features-podcast-episode-123-one.html

...or you can check it out at youtube- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6QSbVYPorU (If you check it out here, likes and comments are appreciated as they help it get more exposure... which means more exposure for the preorder)

Our podcast is also on itunes, but new episodes take longer to hit their feed. Just look for "Action Features" in the podcast app.

Thanks!

James
Check out my review channel- https://www.youtube.com/1989batmanreviews
Sallah
Standard Grunt

Postby Izdawiz » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:00 am

Sallah wrote:Our Power Lords interview with Cornboy is now up for anyone that wants to check it out...

At our page- http://www.actionfeatures.net/2017/09/action-features-podcast-episode-123-one.html

...or you can check it out at youtube- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6QSbVYPorU (If you check it out here, likes and comments are appreciated as they help it get more exposure... which means more exposure for the preorder)

Our podcast is also on itunes, but new episodes take longer to hit their feed. Just look for "Action Features" in the podcast app.

Thanks!

James

Listening to it now!
Izdawiz
Smith

Postby DennyCrane » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:39 am

Yep me too. Thanks for the link! Some interesting stuff here to be sure. One thing I will say though is I think there should be a balance on the amount of figures in a wave. Not only for Power Lords--which I think having collectors commit to 17 figures at a time is a bit high (about half that would be a good number), but also for things like Mythic Legions, where they've hit the right number with preorders (8) and I think 40+ per Kickstarter needs to go. I understand that they need the funds to move forward, and more funds is always better than less. But as I understand it, it could be another year's wait (or at least 6 months?) before these ship (again). Now if they somehow cut that to 3 months I'd be more onboard. But right now I'm just looking at the neat designs, thinking this would be nice but I already have tons of money committed to other lines, the articulation isn't shown, it's only a preorder and I didn't pick up the others (and don't really want to with the t-hips). But those designs are nice.
Shop DC Collectibles for Pop Culture Entertainment -
Hot Toys, Action Figures, Game & Hobby, Comic Book, Retro / Vintage & More!
http://DCCollect.com • Daily Specials • #24Tuesday • Org member discount • More!
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby garyl » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:47 am

Great podcast, Sallah. Glad you were able to work in the removable armor question ( you would think a detail like that would have been important enough to list prior to the podcast ). I was surprised to find out though, that the additional Sydot variant alternate heads depicted with every figure was a ' maybe '. I took that head as a given, and would be HUGELY disappointed if Dr. Waybar didn't come with a blue dino head. In case the 4H are perusing this thread, I am going to pre-order and am currently committed to at least 12 figures but will not be putting the order in til the last day because I want the most time possible to decide. Also, because I thought having you manually change or add to orders is no longer possible.
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby Roland of Gilead » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:23 pm

garyl wrote: I was surprised to find out though, that the additional Sydot variant alternate heads depicted with every figure was a ' maybe '. I took that head as a given, and would be HUGELY disappointed if Dr. Waybar didn't come with a blue dino head.

That may change everything. If they were certain to be there, then I would consider adding on extras. Without, it's not right to post an image that "May or may not" be included.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby Roland of Gilead » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:32 pm

I can't find anything on the planned delivery date.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby Sallah » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks for the kind words on the podcast folks! Really appreciate you listening and the feedback!

I too was a bit surprised by the news that the heads are not a definitive inclusion.... but when keeping costs down, stuff like that is the first to go since it is something that can be taken away from production costs without making the product incomplete in structure (and can be added later on if they have to find a new venue for it, like another head pack).

The only thing we can do is get our preorders in and spread the word if we want them. Even if they don't get enough orders to include the heads now, there is still a chance we can get them down the road- But only if we get these made first.

-James
Check out my review channel- https://www.youtube.com/1989batmanreviews
Sallah
Standard Grunt

Postby garyl » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Sallah wrote:Thanks for the kind words on the podcast folks! Really appreciate you listening and the feedback!

I too was a bit surprised by the news that the heads are not a definitive inclusion.... but when keeping costs down, stuff like that is the first to go since it is something that can be taken away from production costs without making the product incomplete in structure (and can be added later on if they have to find a new venue for it, like another head pack).

The only thing we can do is get our preorders in and spread the word if we want them. Even if they don't get enough orders to include the heads now, there is still a chance we can get them down the road- But only if we get these made first.

-James

I can understand keeping the cost down, but to have the reptile head shown on the order page, at conventions as far back as 2014, to show the figures sporting the heads and even having Dr. Waybar wearing it in Izdawiz's preview videos which CB encouraged people to see; then saying it was just a possibility depending on how far beyond initial funding they get is a bit much. Even that would not have been revealed without your podcast. I won't belabor the point any further and will still buy Dr. Waybar ( with his stupid, boring head ) because I like the colors, want the green thingy that he comes with and want at least one version of each type of alien. But I'm no longer considering the other two variants. I am buying multiples of the soldiers though, and do want to see the line continue, and at 1:18 scale. The aliens, especially, would seem to be lacking at 1:12 scale.
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby garyl » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Just saw the articulation photos for the soldier and it looks really well done; even better than expected. Hopefully an updated Lord Power will be in the next wave.
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby Runeshaper » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm totally getting in on these! Does anyone know if there is a link somewhere that gives the bios for the new figures? I read some of the bios for the old line, but am interested in these now.
Runeshaper
Standard Grunt

Postby Roland of Gilead » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:42 pm

I've been searching for a month now and the Volcan Rock playset is just not appearing anywhere on ebay. I am thinking of picking up the Star Wars Mustafar playset instead. Does anyone own this, or can anyone tell me how this might work with the new 4" Power Lords?
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby garyl » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Runeshaper wrote:I'm totally getting in on these! Does anyone know if there is a link somewhere that gives the bios for the new figures? I read some of the bios for the old line, but am interested in these now.

I didn't think they had bios written up yet. But a photo of Sydot in action is up on the 4H instagram page and, like the soldier, looks really good.
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby Roland of Gilead » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:00 am

I'm still looking at vehicles and playsets for this line. I picked up a True Heroes jet ski thing I think will make a great mini-flyer for my Power Soldiers. Also looking at repainting the Animal Planet Submarine into something of a space faring nature.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby Ghost Whisper » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:24 am

So wait, they are picturing stuff that may get cut? Isn't that a bait and switch? Why weren't these priced into the base price to start with? What else might get cut that they didn't mention? That's not right or even legal to advertise something that is not included.
Ghost Whisper
Silver Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Power Lords