Only 4 days left... How close are we?

Feel the Pow-- No, this description thing could get cheesy way too quickly.

Re: Only 4 days left... How close are we?

Postby garyl » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Well, I finally put in my order for 22 figures; didn't want to wait til the last second in case there was a glitch. I was really looking forward to these and hope it gets funded. So many good looking prototypes it would be a shame if it was all for nothing.
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:30 pm

A lot went into it, so I feel like even if this sale doesn't succeed, there may be hope for getting the figures in the future. I don't believe in giving up after one failure. If it DOES fail, I think they need to regroup and come up with a different plan of attack for next time.

But yeah, I don't want that to encourage anyone to NOT order now. I have my order in for a full set plus one of each builder. Wish I could afford more builders, but I can't do it.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby garyl » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:34 pm

Also, why can't the pre-order period be extended if that would help ? Every other one has been, or there has been a second one or with backerkits people have an extra few weeks. What's the rush?
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:56 pm

garyl wrote:Also, why can't the pre-order period be extended if that would help ? Every other one has been, or there has been a second one or with backerkits people have an extra few weeks. What's the rush?

I asked the same question. The problem is that the credit card authorizations expire at the end of the preorder period. So because of that, it can't be extended. At least, I think that's what they told me.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby DennyCrane » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:54 am

Might as well ask. Anyone not want to use their membership discount? I might go all-in with that. Otherwise, pickin and choosin.
Shop DC Collectibles for Pop Culture Entertainment -
Hot Toys, Action Figures, Game & Hobby, Comic Book, Retro / Vintage & More!
http://DCCollect.com • Daily Specials • #24Tuesday • Org member discount • More!
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby Sallah » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:40 am

EDcomics wrote:
garyl wrote:Also, why can't the pre-order period be extended if that would help ? Every other one has been, or there has been a second one or with backerkits people have an extra few weeks. What's the rush?

I asked the same question. The problem is that the credit card authorizations expire at the end of the preorder period. So because of that, it can't be extended. At least, I think that's what they told me.

Yeah, I work for an online company... This sounds very plausible. We only have a 30 day window to capture funds on an authorization. After that, we have no way of getting the money unless a customer authorizes another payment.

There is probably a legal standpoint too that they would have to worry about if they extended it. They stated that on October 6 the decision would be made to charge you or not. Extending it past that might be troublesome.

Either way- Folks had an entire month to order and we only made it halfway. :( That is a pretty large ordering window. Adding a week or two more probably isn't going to double what they already got.

James
Check out my review channel- https://www.youtube.com/1989batmanreviews
Sallah
Standard Grunt

Postby DennyCrane » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:50 am

So for anyone on the fence yet and wondering, I'll ask the question you're waiting to ask: When are these supposed to ship--if and when they actually happen? Are we looking at a years wait? 6 months or less? Why won't the 4H address these issues? I feel almost as if they're only putting in "best efforts" to fulfill a contract. Probably not the case, but if I were really trying to make this happen, I'd be putting up all kinds of information. This is not the time to hold back. And I write this not to be a complainer. We want this line to happen! The figures look great.
http://DCCollect.com • Daily Specials • #24Tuesday • Org member discount • More!
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby Ghost Whisper » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:21 am

I just seems the whole thing was put out with no fanfare or PR and absolutely no build up. And almost no updates or hype during the pre-order have led to this state of affairs. It is very sad.
Ghost Whisper
Silver Grunt

Postby DennyCrane » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 am

I'm also wondering if this is intended to be a "made to order" situation with very little extras made (like Super 7) or a minimum order quota based on the numbers? There may be some laboring under the belief "I'll wait and buy later" when that isn't likely to happen. I don't necessarily blame the 4H for not sharing that, but transparency here across the board would cover a multitude of sins and probably WOULD have put us near the goal--if not clear it.
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby Sallah » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Ghost Whisper wrote:I just seems the whole thing was put out with no fanfare or PR and absolutely no build up. And almost no updates or hype during the pre-order have led to this state of affairs. It is very sad.

I was also surprised by how little attention this seems to have gotten. We had Cornboy on the podcast and it was awesome getting more info... but I thought for sure other toy sites or the 4H site itself would step up with more posts throughout the preorder window. I know they are busy with convention season and a mountain of other work- But where were all the other big name toy news sites throughout this endeavor?

Compare this to the MOTUC sub sales Mattel did every year (which honestly likely never needed that much help to hit their numbers). Seemed like you couldn't go online a day without hearing about it. It just seemed like very little fanfare for this preorder across the board.

James
Sallah
Standard Grunt

Postby DennyCrane » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Is there more news out of Facebook this last day? Seems that's where we hear things these days--even though many don't even use it.

I wonder if BBTS even touched this preorder? With no expected ship date listed, I'll bet they could get some orders for sure.

I'm ready to place my final order at the store. Where's my discount? :D :lol:
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Sallah wrote:Compare this to the MOTUC sub sales Mattel did every year (which honestly likely never needed that much help to hit their numbers). Seemed like you couldn't go online a day without hearing about it. It just seemed like very little fanfare for this preorder across the board.

The difference being that the MOTUC line is owned and handled by Mattel, a multinational corporation with a dedicated marketing team. The 4H handle all their own stuff in-house, and it's just a handful of people running the whole show (and, let's be honest, while they're very creative people, none of them seem to be business-minded).

Just because both lines are designed by the 4H doesn't mean the 4H are responsible for them in equal measures. Once they design the MOTUC figures and sculpt/paint the prototypes, they hand them off to Mattel, who take them the rest of the way.

Power Lords got just as much dedication and attention as any of the 4H's in-house properties. Mythic Legions, Gothitropolis, and Seventh Kingdom succeeded in spite of the 4H's marketing prowess, not because of it. Power Lords did not.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby Sallah » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:28 pm

JamesLynch wrote:
Sallah wrote:Compare this to the MOTUC sub sales Mattel did every year (which honestly likely never needed that much help to hit their numbers). Seemed like you couldn't go online a day without hearing about it. It just seemed like very little fanfare for this preorder across the board.

The difference being that the MOTUC line is owned and handled by Mattel, a multinational corporation with a dedicated marketing team. The 4H handle all their own stuff in-house, and it's just a handful of people running the whole show (and, let's be honest, while they're very creative people, none of them seem to be business-minded).

Just because both lines are designed by the 4H doesn't mean the 4H are responsible for them in equal measures. Once they design the MOTUC figures and sculpt/paint the prototypes, they hand them off to Mattel, who take them the rest of the way.

Power Lords got just as much dedication and attention as any of the 4H's in-house properties. Mythic Legions, Gothitropolis, and Seventh Kingdom succeeded in spite of the 4H's marketing prowess, not because of it. Power Lords did not.

That wasn't my point. I am not referring to how much the company itself put into marketing... I meant all the toy news sites and facebook fan pages that did (which are not owned by Mattel or the 4H). That was my comparison and not the fact that the 4H did both and therefore should get the same promotion (which is why I said I know the 4H have enough on their plate with work and con season).

Every toy news site and fan page posted repeatedly throughout Mattel's sub sales (which again really shouldn't have needed it... Mattel has enough bucks to do that kind of promotion themselves, like you said)... but this sale, which could have REALLY used the attention, was all but ignored by most outlets. Which is a shame.

James
Sallah
Standard Grunt

Postby Sallah » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:32 pm

...and with only 30 minutes left and no update... I am guessing it is over. :(

Sallah
Sallah
Standard Grunt

Postby Sallah » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:09 pm

Products gone from Store Horsemen... Preorder ended right on time.

Now just waiting for the bad news. :(

Sallah
Sallah
Standard Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Power Lords