The Power Lords Postmortem Thread

Feel the Pow-- No, this description thing could get cheesy way too quickly.

The Power Lords Postmortem Thread

Postby Izdawiz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:33 pm

A Power Lords Fan’s Lament

By Izdawiz

Why-oh-Why-a where’s my Shaya?
Sigh, for Sydot, is Sigh-Not

Dis guy’s sore for Disguyzor
And I lack a Bakatak
It’s a wrenchor missing Drrench-or
and my Tork? It just got Borked

Can’t play goth without a Raygoth
The preorders, they fell short
Feels like Rick without a Morty
But it’s time to hit abort
Lordy Lordy it’s so darkus..
Will I ever get my Arkus?
Izdawiz
Smith

Re: The Power Lords Postmortem Thread

Postby Izdawiz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm pretty bummed.

Figured I'd start this thread for folks who want to talk about what happened and what we'd like to see next.

Mainly bummed because there are so many of Eric Treadaway's cool alien designs that we'll probably never get. Seeing him riff off Barlowes original stuff was amazing. It also gets me excited to see what he'll come up with if we get a Galactic Legions line.

And last of all this was such a difficult line to try and resurrect, so hats off the the 4H for trying.
Izdawiz
Smith

Postby Roland of Gilead » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:13 am

Did they? Did they really?

I believed. I supported. I raved about the line everywhere I could. I know my efforts caused at least a couple of folks to jump in and support the Power Lords. Did they?
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby DennyCrane » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:31 am

I'll just say this. A new day has dawned on the internet. You can't just list something these days and sit on your proverbial hands. It may be the information age, but you have to work harder than ever to be seen and a part of it. People don't generally just come to you anymore. I suppose eBay is the exception, as they've grown a whole generation of brain-washed masses who do their own promoting for them. But a start-up situation (especially one based on a cult property 30 years dead with zero media awareness--and almost that during its original release way back) is not going to run itself. You have to take that baton and run with it. Honestly, this should have been a Kickstarter (even though I'm starting to loathe them). It would've been the best way to move forward and reboot the line. The small fee involved (really an eBay final value fee) would've been more than worth the market data they gleaned from the venture. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money...or dreams. And it for sure would've gained more media attention than a small preorder on their somewhat little-known site. Kickstarter reaches tons of people over many different demographics.

I feel the 4H did not realize this (or chose not to) and that was their failure. Perhaps they'll learn from this, but at this point I rather doubt it. They've been in the business how long now? They should have known better. And maxed out those connections they've gained over the years to promote this line. It is my sincere hope they will eventually realize this and take it to heart. Because talent alone--however brilliant it might be--will only get you so far, and I do feel people are starting to really feel the cracks in the 4H veneer. Time to patch it up to keep those customers happy.
Shop DC Collectibles for Pop Culture Entertainment -
Hot Toys, Action Figures, Game & Hobby, Comic Book, Retro / Vintage & More!
http://DCCollect.com • Daily Specials • #24Tuesday • Org member discount • More!
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby jkaris » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Armchair quarterbacking here:

I think a couple things that could still be done to make this happen:

1. Kickstarter. What this does is give a lot of real-time visibility into how close we are to the goal. I get that they were probably trying to save the 10% so they could have a smaller goal than in a KS, but having things get closer and closer will always drive impulse buys or extra orders to get closer to the goal.

2. Marketing. That is one thing that they have always come up short on. Not that there is a need to pay a marketing person, but find a couple hard core collectors to champion the line at all the different venues to promote, and to draw up marketing materials. Daily updates when a campaign is ongoing. I'm sure there are quite a few people who could do this successfully and who would gladly do it for a set of the figures. Not just with Powerlords stuff, but with all their lines. These guys are great at what they do. Find someone who loves the toys and is great at marketing to handle that aspect.

Outside of that, maybe some sort of subscription club, where if you get x people to sign up, then you get one figure per month for x dollars. Build in your buffers (in case some drop off or some come on late) and run with that.

Lastly, for those who are saying that they just put this up as an "also ran" and didn't put much effort or really care, I suggest you take another look at all the different figures they made for it. That was definitely a labor of love.
jkaris

Postby Roland of Gilead » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:48 am

So who do I talk to about the Horsemen still holding my money? They cancelled the prepay on Friday, but my credit card still shows the funds in their name.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby Izdawiz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:21 am

Roland of Gilead wrote:So who do I talk to about the Horsemen still holding my money? They cancelled the prepay on Friday, but my credit card still shows the funds in their name.

If they cancelled your prepay, how are they "holding your money?" Have you tried talking to your credit card company?
Izdawiz
Smith

Postby Roland of Gilead » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:19 pm

Yes, it's still on hold. I've been told if it doesn't get released back to me by 2:00 today, then I need to contact the vendor to send proof of cancellation.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby Ghost Whisper » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:00 pm

Roland of Gilead wrote:So who do I talk to about the Horsemen still holding my money? They cancelled the prepay on Friday, but my credit card still shows the funds in their name.

As long as they put the cancellation through when they sad they did (Friday) then it should be released anywhere from today until possibly Wednesday or later for some folks. This is one of those slimy bank deals, where they can take your money instantly, but it takes days to put it back. Essentially the bank is using your money for free...if you even get interest anymore.

Back to the original topic. The lack or caring and effort put into this pre-order is shameful. The roll out, PR/hype, execution throughout and lack of customer updates sealed the fate. Before the pre-order even began.
Ghost Whisper
Silver Grunt

Postby Izdawiz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:25 pm

I know it's more fun to blame people and point fingers, but is it possible, and I submit this for your consideration, that sufficient demand just wasn't there for this property at this time to make it economically feasible to manufacture these figures?

That maybe resurrecting an odd, little-known, failed property from the 80's as a labor of love might be difficult?

I don't think getting these 2/3 of the way towards funding happens because you don't care. The Horsemen care a lot about this. They lost thousands of dollars trying to get these made.

It wasn't as if the major toy blogs and websites (some of which are now selling their own figures) were exactly beating down the doors to get interviews with the Four Horsemen about Power Lords.

They spend hundreds of man hours creating these prototypes, they spent thousands on creating tooling patterns and working with the factories to bring these down to very reasonable prices. They took their 17 prototypes to multiple major conventions. Not enough people bit, for whatever reason.
Izdawiz
Smith

Postby JamesLynch » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:35 pm

I have said it before, but Power Lords got just as much love and attention from the 4H as any of their other properties. The guys are great creators, but they don't seem to be terribly good marketers/businessmen. The other 4H properties over the years (7th Kingdom, Gothitropolis, Mythic Legions) succeeded in spite of the 4H's marketing efforts, not because of them. I think they're honestly doing their best as far as they know how, but they're not marketers and probably don't have the cash to invest in a pro marketing firm to push their stuff for them. They're used to posting on social media a little bit and updating the front page (somewhat infrequently) and letting word of mouth do the rest. It's worked in the past, it didn't work this time.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby Sallah » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:31 am

May sound odd... but I boxed up my Power Lords figure display this past weekend (4H figures & protos, vintage stuff, etc).

Maybe one day when there is hope for more again, I will pull them back out. But for now, it honestly makes me sad to look at them and know there is a good shot we won't ever get anymore. And toy displays should bring happiness, not sadness. :(

So away they go. For now at least.

James
Check out my review channel- https://www.youtube.com/1989batmanreviews
Sallah
Standard Grunt

Postby Ghost Whisper » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:52 am

We know exactly where the blame goes. The 4H apologists just don't like it.
Ghost Whisper
Silver Grunt

Postby Roland of Gilead » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:15 am

Four Hosemen STILL have my money.

My credit card company says they can't do anything on their end because the transaction was already approved. I've sent two emails to Store Horsemen with no response.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby Izdawiz » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Sallah wrote:May sound odd... but I boxed up my Power Lords figure display this past weekend (4H figures & protos, vintage stuff, etc).

Maybe one day when there is hope for more again, I will pull them back out. But for now, it honestly makes me sad to look at them and know there is a good shot we won't ever get anymore. And toy displays should bring happiness, not sadness. :(

So away they go. For now at least.

James

:(

What prototypes do you have?

Because I might be interested in some of them depending on price.

Right now I only have a Lord Power Head and Torso prototype and a Sydot head prototype (The Six Inched Scaled size) and they still make me happy when I look at them.

I'm also hoping there will be some more Power Lords Prototypes for sale one day from the Horsemen.
Izdawiz
Smith

Next

Return to Power Lords