Power Lords - General Discussion Thread

Feel the Pow-- No, this description thing could get cheesy way too quickly.

Power Lords - General Discussion Thread

Postby Jeff Cope » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:08 am

The Power Lords are coming! And this, right here, is the place to talk about 'em. Classic Revell line or new 4H line, doesn't matter. The DC Comic, the coloring books, what you hope to see in the future...this is the spot to talk about it!

I'm beyond excited for the new toys (3-3/4"! Yea! My fave figure size!) and am really hoping we get some sort of ancillary product like a comic book (I vote IDW) as well.

How 'bout you?
Jeff Cope
Standard Grunt

Re: Power Lords - General Discussion Thread

Postby Baena » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:00 am

I really hope this line is so successful we get to the vehicles and the playsets.
At the very least, it'd be cool to get to the unproduced smaller playsets.

Love the variants we've seen, and love that the line will be boosted substantially by doing this, with the Power Soldiers, the Gripptogg-like soldiers. There are some great ideas being thrown about behind the scenes!

In my opinion, the 4H are making this line just as definitive for the Power Lords as they've done for MotU and OSM. Not to trample on the original lines at all... I'm just thankful these guys are putting so much passion behind it, that it can't help but expand what was there before.

Really jazzed about this line!
Baena
Bronze Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:27 am

I'm super jazzed about this. Personally, I think the 4H & Co. are the only ones that can pull this off. They will do it great justice. Can NOT wait.
[This space for rent. Inquire within.]
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Jeff Cope » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:42 pm

Baena wrote:There are some great ideas being thrown about behind the scenes!

Tease. ;-)
Jeff Cope
Standard Grunt

Postby bobazarre » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:38 pm

Never had any Power Lords when I was a kid but always thought they were rad. When I found out that 4H were resurrecting this line I was pretty excited & like Jeff posted: in my favorite scale 3 3/4"!! Hoping to see a display at SDCC of what's to come
bobazarre

Postby superdoug » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Never heard of them till the 4 Horsemen. That being said the originals do look intersting and if I had been a little bit older when they came out I probably would have wanted them (at 1 years old you don't get too many action figures).

I really want to see how these look, work with gylos stuff, fit in with joes and star wars . . . . . . This could be a really neat line and while I (my wallet) wants to stay away the kid side of me wants to get at least one right now.
Beware the three legged mongoose!

"A full mongoose is a slow mongoose" - Rikki Tikki Tavi
superdoug
Golden Grunt

Postby Baena » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:42 pm

Jeff Cope wrote:Tease. ;-)

Only because I love. :mrgreen:
Baena
Bronze Grunt

Postby jonwes » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:29 am

I hadn't heard of Power Lords except for the ads in old comics until Working Class Villains started talking about them. And then the 4H announced they were bring them back, and I looked more into them. I bought some figures MOC/MIB and fell in love with the concept. The concept art looks amazing. I bought the the old board game (not that great, but it has some fun art) and the old comic (also not that good. LOL.) I actually wrote up a treatment for a Power Lords comic and sent it off to the 4H for fun but it didn't go anywhere. Probably because they have some professional comics writer lined up. LOL.

But, I did do some video reviews if anyone wants to check them out. I actually have some more filmed a while back I need to edit and upload still:

Powership:

Shaya:

Arkus:

Trigore:

P.S. - The Youtube tag doesn't seem to be working. So I just had to post links.
Last edited by jonwes on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonwes
Silver Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:52 am

jonwes wrote:P.S. - The Youtube tag doesn't seem to be working. So I just had to post links.

I was trying to figure this out earlier for the Nirasawa thread. Just be sure to only use the letters/numbers after "v=" in the address. So in this case, it's [ youtube]xdIbjYLkxro[ /youtube] (without the spaces). Thanks to Noisy for setting that up and explaining it.

EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby jonwes » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:47 am

Thanks! Fixed it.
jonwes
Silver Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:20 am

jonwes wrote:I hadn't heard of Power Lords except for the ads in old comics until Working Class Villains started talking about them. And then the 4H announced they were bring them back, and I looked more into them. I bought some figures MOC/MIB and fell in love with the concept. The concept art looks amazing. I bought the the old board game (not that great, but it has some fun art) and the old comic (also not that good. LOL.) I actually wrote up a treatment for a Power Lords comic and sent it off to the 4H for fun but it didn't go anywhere. Probably because they have some professional comics writer lined up. LOL.

But, I did do some video reviews if anyone wants to check them out. I actually have some more filmed a while back I need to edit and upload still:

Powership:

Shaya:

Arkus:

Trigore:

P.S. - The Youtube tag doesn't seem to be working. So I just had to post links.

These are all very awesome. I stumbled upon these whil browsing the you tubes before the 4H posted on. Really enjoyed them.
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Mindless-Focus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:58 am

Here's my story on the Power Lords:

As to Power Lords, I honestly didn't know they were called that until pretty recently. I received most of my toys as hand me downs from my two cousins. I was there one day and they were a lot older than me (I was born in the early 80's) an they were about to start middle school. They had boxed up all of their toys in a couple of large boxes and gave them to me. Among them were many MOTU, Transformers, Battle Beasts, Power Lords, and Rock Lords. I honestly didn't know what half of it was until recently really.

For instance, I didn't know the guys that turned into rocks were called Rock Lords until last year. I had those. The green Creature from the Black Lagoon rip off was my home boy. Still have him. It wasn't until the SDCC announcement of the PowerLordsReturn.com site that I realized I had four of those in my collection. I had Powers, Ggripptogg, Arkus, Sydot. Ggripptogg was only three-armed though. He was missing most of his outer left arm. He, too, was my home boy. Really loved playing with him.

I was really into the 5" scale and MOTU back when I got all these toys so that's what I played with. I always had big battles between my MOTU guys against MY hero army consisting of the Power Lords and Rock Lords and a few other random MOTU guys. They were led by Ggripptogg and he could make rocks come alive when I played with them in the turtle-shaped sand box. My hero army always won. Sadly, because I played with everything and often outside, most didn't survive in the end.

So this line holds more nostalgia for me of simple years playing in a turtle-shaped sand box and just enjoying myself. My imagination ran wild back then. These toys were part of it. Ah, life was simple back then. It was just me and my toys.

So, are they still doing the Power Lords club?
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Jeff Cope » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:45 pm

What excites me the most about the 4H's take on Power Lords is that my frustrations with the original line back in the day are being dealt with through the new figures.

I was in High School when Power Lords was on shelves, so a bit older than some. However, I was still actively collecting action figures (GI Joe, MOTU, TMNT, etc). I picked up a few of the Power Lords figures. I thought the idea was cool, but - to be honest - I hated the execution. I had Adam Power and Sydot (I think I still have Sydot somewhere). But, I hated the two halves on Adam Power and Shaya. I thought the sculpting was sub-standard, even for the times. But, I loved the ideas behind the line. I was already a fan of Wayne Barlowe from his Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials and to see he his concepts in plastic was great...but, they could've been so, so much more.

And, now they're finally getting their chance to shine through the Horsemen. That's what has me excited.
Jeff Cope
Standard Grunt

Postby Jeff Cope » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Mindless-Focus wrote:So, are they still doing the Power Lords club?

Hope so! I'm hoping for a print by Baena to go beside my OSM print of his (thanks again M-F for that!)
Jeff Cope
Standard Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:56 pm

Oh yeah. Lol, sorry it was a bit late.

And I plan on going all in on the club. Can NOT wait. I, too, want a Baena print and a fan club card.
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Next

Return to Power Lords