Should the 4H start Power Lords over at 6''?

Feel the Pow-- No, this description thing could get cheesy way too quickly.

Re: Should the 4H start Power Lords over at 6''?

Postby tuxedokman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:49 pm

After seeing the larger versions at ComicCon and PowerCon i'm sad that these are going to stay at a dinky 4" inch scale. Seems like it wont reach the final goal, and its thanks to the awkward 4" scale. I know more than one person who would have loved to go a few figures deep into the line if it was at the 6" to match ALL of the other figure lines they have (all of them are too young to have ever heard or cared about power lords, they just see a cool space tech alien themed action figure line). 4" scale is dead.
tuxedokman

Postby Roland of Gilead » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 pm

If scale were the issue, then why did all the other Power Lords releases sell out? Why are they so hard to find on ebay if nobody likes them?

I don't know anything more than anyone else here, but my own issues at first was being asked for $355 all at once for figures with no release date identified. In the end, I think these guys are too awesome to miss, but money can be a factor for others as well.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby domu » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 pm

tuxedokman wrote:After seeing the larger versions at ComicCon and PowerCon i'm sad that these are going to stay at a dinky 4" inch scale. Seems like it wont reach the final goal, and its thanks to the awkward 4" scale. I know more than one person who would have loved to go a few figures deep into the line if it was at the 6" to match ALL of the other figure lines they have (all of them are too young to have ever heard or cared about power lords, they just see a cool space tech alien themed action figure line). 4" scale is dead.

:roll:
domu
Apprentice

Postby Ghost Whisper » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:21 pm

tuxedokman wrote:After seeing the larger versions at ComicCon and PowerCon i'm sad that these are going to stay at a dinky 4" inch scale. Seems like it wont reach the final goal, and its thanks to the awkward 4" scale. I know more than one person who would have loved to go a few figures deep into the line if it was at the 6" to match ALL of the other figure lines they have (all of them are too young to have ever heard or cared about power lords, they just see a cool space tech alien themed action figure line). 4" scale is dead.

Scale has nothing to do with it. The total mishandling of the property over the last 4 years has everything to do with it.
Ghost Whisper
Silver Grunt

Postby newfoundma » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:55 am

Roland of Gilead wrote:If scale were the issue, then why did all the other Power Lords releases sell out? Why are they so hard to find on ebay if nobody likes them?

Did they sell out? I am new to the line, but for the past several months, Adam Power, Lord Power, and Ggripptogg have been in stock on Store Horsemen.
newfoundma
Silver Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:58 am

I guess I'm kind of curious, with everyone throwing out anecdotal evidence, as to how the 4" and 6" figures from the 4H compare in terms of sales. The Mythic Legions are still going strong, and one could argue that the Mythic Legions are almost an extension of the Gothitropolis and Seventh Kingdom lines that have been going for over a decade. In contrast, the Outer Space Men and Power Lords lines have both pretty well died off, with the current Power Lords revival sounding like it's not going as well as hoped (the 4H have mentioned in every recent communication that pre-orders are not hitting the numbers they expected/need).

The Mythic Legions line was originally announced at 4", but was upgraded to 6" before the first Kickstarter, and has remained popular and successful. The 4" lines seem to struggle. I have to assume that there's a reason they 4H have stuck with a 4" scale for OSM and PL when, from an outsider's perspective, the bigger figures seem to be much better sellers. I don't know as the comparative failure can be attributed to "mismanagement." The smaller lines are being handled with the same level of professionalism and business acumen (for good or ill) as Mythic Legions. The 4H are broadcasting news about Power Lords to everyone who pledged for Mythic Legions.

I doubt we'll ever get a straight answer about their behind the scenes practices, though.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby Ghost Whisper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:26 pm

JamesLynch wrote:The smaller lines are being handled with the same level of professionalism and business acumen (for good or ill) as Mythic Legions.

Nope, not even close.
Ghost Whisper
Silver Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Ghost Whisper wrote:
JamesLynch wrote:The smaller lines are being handled with the same level of professionalism and business acumen (for good or ill) as Mythic Legions.

Nope, not even close.

Please provide some evidence to back this claim up. What have the 4H done to promote Mythic Legions that they haven't done for Power Lords?
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby Roland of Gilead » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 pm

newfoundma wrote:
Roland of Gilead wrote:If scale were the issue, then why did all the other Power Lords releases sell out? Why are they so hard to find on ebay if nobody likes them?

Did they sell out? I am new to the line, but for the past several months, Adam Power, Lord Power, and Ggripptogg have been in stock on Store Horsemen.

Those three lasted a while, but all the other Power Soldiers, Ggripptikk repaints and exclusives sold out completely. I missed a couple because I forgot it was sale day.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby Ghost Whisper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:48 pm

JamesLynch wrote:
Ghost Whisper wrote:

Nope, not even close.

Please provide some evidence to back this claim up. What have the 4H done to promote Mythic Legions that they haven't done for Power Lords?

You must not have been following the saga of the Power Lords and how they have been ignored for the last 3 years. Fan club with newsletter...only stuff stopped coming out so what good is a fan club? Newsletter...don't remember ever getting one. Not answering any questions on the line or what direction it will go in for multiple years. The list goes on. Anyone that tried to collect the line since it appeared at Power-Con in 2013 knows the terrible ride that we went on with this re-launch.
Ghost Whisper
Silver Grunt

Postby Roland of Gilead » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:31 pm

There was a lot left to be desired regarding how this line was handled in the last couple of years. However, the new pre-order figures are beautiful. I want them all and I still want to see this line succeed.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:26 am

Ghost Whisper wrote:You must not have been following the saga of the Power Lords and how they have been ignored for the last 3 years. Fan club with newsletter...only stuff stopped coming out so what good is a fan club? Newsletter...don't remember ever getting one. Not answering any questions on the line or what direction it will go in for multiple years. The list goes on. Anyone that tried to collect the line since it appeared at Power-Con in 2013 knows the terrible ride that we went on with this re-launch.

Uh huh. But what of that stuff did they do for Mythic Legions? That was my original point, that they have managed/mismanaged Mythic Legions just as badly as they have managed/mismanaged Power Lords, and yet Mythic Legions seems to be thriving while Power Lords is not. There is no Mythic Legions fan club. The only news about Mythic Legions is what the 4H put on their social media pages and newsletter, which they've used to promote Power Lords just as heavily. They've even put out Kickstarter updates for the Mythic Legions project that have nothing to do with Mythic Legions, they're just adverts for Power Lords. The 4H could do much better all around in promoting their products, but I haven't seen any evidence that they've handled Power Lords any worse than they've handled anything else. The Mythic Legions, Gothitropolis, and Seventh Kingdom figures were/are able to thrive with the level of promotion the 4H have put into them, while the Power Lords and Outer Space Men have not.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby garyl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:04 pm

As someone who was not interested in this line before and now is, the figures just didn't look that good before. The new soldier buck is far superior to the old one. They now seem to be approaching this more like Mythic Legions and finding the best articulation which preserves the sculpt instead of trying to make the glyos joint system a major component to work around. Given the odd shape and lack of places to hide articulation it has to start with, even the Sydot figure was handled really well. I don't think it's fair to compare Power Lords and Mythic Legions because one is a niche sci-fi toy line and the other is meant to encompass a very broad selection of figures from fantasy and mythology, medieval knights and even the previous 4H properties; in other words, something for everyone. They made some decisions that didn't pan out with the first attempt at Power Lords and hopefully they didn't alienate too many of the original backers in the process up to this point.
There's really no way to say if this would do better at ML scale. Most people wanting them to be 6", really just seem to want the soldier buck at 6"; I don't know that they really care about Power Lords beyond that. I think armed with a fresh approach, a bunch of new Wayne Barlowe drawings to work from and I assume interpret and add to [ I say that because the alternate Sydot variant head does not seem to be stylistically related to any other part of any alien figure; which makes me wonder if Eric just decided to sculpt it and add it because it looks cool ( which it does ) and it works ( which it also does ) ] this could be a great 1:18 sci-fi line to run concurrently with the Mythic legions fantasy line.
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:47 am

garyl wrote:Most people wanting them to be 6", really just seem to want the soldier buck at 6"; I don't know that they really care about Power Lords beyond that.

I think this is true of most 4H properties. People mostly buy them because they're cool toys. There's very little fiction behind them for people to be fans of. Power Lords was a pre-existing property, but it's not like there was a huge fandom pounding down anyone's door with demand for new product.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby edgs2099 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:04 pm

I'd preorder/buy more than one if they were 6". As they are a scale I don't collect, one is plenty for me. I want to support what these guys are doing, but I'm not going to buy a bunch of tiny toys that don't have a place in my collection. Hope the preorders go through for you all though.
edgs2099
Silver Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Power Lords