Should the 4H start Power Lords over at 6''?

Feel the Pow-- No, this description thing could get cheesy way too quickly.

Re: Should the 4H start Power Lords over at 6''?

Postby DennyCrane » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:00 pm

edgs2099 wrote:I'd preorder/buy more than one if they were 6". As they are a scale I don't collect, one is plenty for me. I want to support what these guys are doing, but I'm not going to buy a bunch of tiny toys that don't have a place in my collection. Hope the preorders go through for you all though.

I have to wonder just how many crying for the 6" scale remember when there was no 6" scale. Many of us do, and would like to keep collecting it. Just venture outside the 6" forums for a bit and you'll see. Some great stuff out there for 1:18. I'd be proud to add these to the bunch. It would be awesome for the 4H to remember that and give us all the information we should have so we're all comfortable with the process from here. If it fails (sadly that looks to be the case on this final day), it won't be because everyone and their dog wanted a 6-inch line. It will be because the property was given coach status when it should have been given first class. Just look at Eagle Force. That's how you revive a long dead 80s property.
Shop DC Collectibles for Pop Culture Entertainment -
Hot Toys, Action Figures, Game & Hobby, Comic Book, Retro / Vintage & More!
http://DCCollect.com • Daily Specials • #24Tuesday • Org member discount • More!
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby Sallah » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:19 pm

DennyCrane wrote:If it fails (sadly that looks to be the case on this final day), it won't be because everyone and their dog wanted a 6-inch line. It will be because the property was given coach status when it should have been given first class. Just look at Eagle Force. That's how you revive a long dead 80s property.

As much as it hurts to say it... You hit the nail on the head. The learning curve the 4H went through on the first few years of the PL revival seems like it may have done some damage to any interest folks had. Too much time was spent spinning the wheels for folks to stick with it. :(

James
Check out my review channel- https://www.youtube.com/1989batmanreviews
Sallah
Standard Grunt

Postby Roland of Gilead » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:43 pm

You know why 4" scale is awesome? Because regardless of the outcome today, I still love these figures and their play value. I can go out and buy an old playmobil playset, a Miles From Tomorrowland rocket, or an old GI Joe fighter jet and use it with my figures. As Hasbro knew way back in 1982, this scale was made for adding vehicles and playsets. You can't do that too often with 6" scale.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:57 pm

DennyCrane wrote:I have to wonder just how many crying for the 6" scale remember when there was no 6" scale.

I do. I also remember listening to audio cassettes, watching a 13" black and white television, and driving a car that got 14 miles to the gallon. Now I have thousands of songs on my phone, a 55" flatscreen, and a hybrid that gets about 50 mpg. Things change. Things improve. Action figures have gotten much, much better since the days of the first Star Wars movie or the first Real American Hero line.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby DennyCrane » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:20 pm

True, but as the technology improves, must we go larger? There just seems to be this focus on bigger is better. That's not how technology works. Take the first computers that took an entire room to house them. Now you can hold that. If they can cram the same amount of detail, poseability and paint into a 4 inch figure as nearly twice the size, why not? The problem is you have so many lazy so and so's (like Hasbro) that put very little effort into the sculpt and design vs. Marvel Legends. The technology is there to make them look and work the same. They just don't use it.

I will agree though, the perceived value in a larger figure that costs just a bit more than a smaller is that of "hey I'm getting ripped off here". It's unfortunate that costs are what they apparently are. Because who wouldn't want to be paying $10 for these things? I remember not so long ago forcing myself to say no to $7 Star Wars. Now look where we are. So of course the 6-inch looks like a better deal. I think that's where this whole thing got started to be honest.
http://DCCollect.com • Daily Specials • #24Tuesday • Org member discount • More!
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby Miker601 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:41 pm

My preference for 6 inch has nothing to do with "bigger is better". It has to do with my favorite toy line ever, MOTUC, using that scale. When I look at PL figures I can't help but think how cool Adam Power and Dr. Waybar would look at 6" standing alongside New Adventures He-Man and She-Ra in an outer space scene.
Miker601

Postby DennyCrane » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Ah. Well then. This is where we see things different (or the same). Since a larger percentage of my collection is 1:18 scale (if only for it being around longer), I want them this scale. In fact, I most likely won't be supporting the 6 inch scale for the same reasons. Well I might help a bit, but I won't like it. :D

Mission: ARKUS complete
And as a certain fallen legend (R.I.P.) would say...the waiting is the hardest part.

Aesthetically I think these match up better with Joes and Eagle Force than MOTUC but if you can shoehorn them in, go for it.
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby Darren » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:48 pm

I don't know if a six inch Power Lords line of figures would be a hit. I hope that the Horsemen choose to make Galactic Legions at some point. Maybe they could work Adam Power into that line.
Darren
Golden Grunt

Postby DennyCrane » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Meh, this unnecessary failure has soured me a bit on other possible 4H home-grown lines. I'd rather they just catch themselves up with Mythic Legions for now and quit it with the distractions. They've clearly shown that's where their heart lies. Debut Galactic Legions in a couple years, once we've all had a chance to build up a collection of ML's.
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby Roland of Gilead » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:11 am

This might be it for me and Mythic Legions. I can't stand these guys right now.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby SalemCrow » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:36 pm

JamesLynch wrote:
garyl wrote:Most people wanting them to be 6", really just seem to want the soldier buck at 6"; I don't know that they really care about Power Lords beyond that.

I think this is true of most 4H properties. People mostly buy them because they're cool toys. There's very little fiction behind them for people to be fans of. Power Lords was a pre-existing property, but it's not like there was a huge fandom pounding down anyone's door with demand for new product.

I have ALWAYS done this with lines that aren't DC/Marvel/Star Wars/comic based. My collection inhabits one giant universe, so I take what I like that's been given by the creators, and meld it to what I want.
SalemCrow
Silver Grunt

Postby SalemCrow » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:40 pm

mholst87 wrote:Power Lords isn't a super articulated, highly detailed line. The cost difference between 4" and 6" is likely substantial for Power Lords, unlike Mythic Legions.

I have a feeling that there aren't very many people who would buy 6" power lords that haven't already bought the 4" ones. It's a different situation than Mythic Legions was in. I don't think it makes any sense to do 6" figures, their time would be better spent on other things.

Actually, I think a lot of Marvel Legends or DC collectors would love these in 6" scale. The Power Armor figures would make great sci-fi army builders for any number of factions across the comic spectrum.

If they were in 6" scale, those black and white army builders they showed off at the end would be great, and 1 or 2 of the others would be great commander figures.
I think you seriously underestimate what some people would army build in 6" scale. There were people who bought over 200 of the Fwoosh AI figures, so they ARE out there.
SalemCrow
Silver Grunt

Postby Izdawiz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Roland of Gilead wrote:This might be it for me and Mythic Legions. I can't stand these guys right now.

Taking things pretty hard I see. Why seek to attach blame?

I guarantee they feel much worse about this than you do. Not to mention the hundreds of man hours and thousands of their dollars down the drain trying to make this happen to make people like us happy.
Izdawiz
Smith

Postby DennyCrane » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:52 pm

True, but, the same could be said for the largely ignored (til now) 1:18 scale. There is a large number of pre-existing molds available to choose from in the 6-inch scale for customs and what-not. Marvel Legends, Black Series, DCUC, etc. Take your pick and pop pieces. If 1:18 keeps its pace through Kickstarter, the number of cross-compatible options may start to level off. But in the modern style, 6-inch still has quite the lead.
DennyCrane
Bronze Grunt

Postby Roland of Gilead » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 am

Izdawiz wrote:
Roland of Gilead wrote:This might be it for me and Mythic Legions. I can't stand these guys right now.

Taking things pretty hard I see. Why seek to attach blame?

I guarantee they feel much worse about this than you do. Not to mention the hundreds of man hours and thousands of their dollars down the drain trying to make this happen to make people like us happy.

There is lot of blame and lack of effort to attach. I think they did put lost of man hours and thought into the line right up until two years ago. Then when their own in-house lines started to take off, Power Lords was lost and forgotten.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Power Lords