The Thundercats Thread

The place to discuss all things Four Horsemen!

Re: The Thundercats Thread

Postby Chicken George » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:49 am

JamesLynch wrote:I think most of the issue with the DC Multiverse line is that pretty much any Mattel action figure that the 4H didn't design for them sucks. I don't know who Mattel's in-house designers are, but they should probably find a new line of work. Action figure design is clearly not their calling.

No doubt, I agree with the design comment and 4H involvement, I think an additional aspect is that they are trying to maximize profits and keep the price around 20 dollars to compete with Marvel Legends, problem is they are approaching the cheap 10 dollar figures, in quality, they have hanging on the hooks right next to the multiverse figures.

The figures made 10 years ago were better than these. Better wake up and realize collectors are making up the vast majority of buyers, not moms ready to drop a 20 dollar bill on their young children.
Chicken George
Bronze Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:17 pm

10 years ago, the 4H were pretty much Mattel's only design team, at least for anything DC related. Every DCUC, all the Movie Masters, those were all the 4H. At some point, Mattel lessened the 4H's involvement and started having their own in-house people do a lot of the work. The results are the poor quality figures we're getting in much of the Multiverse line. some of the comic figures are still handled by the 4H, but all the live action figures are done by whoever else Mattel uses, and they don't do very good work. When it was the 4H doing it all, at the very least, the underlying design was solid, so even if Mattel screwed something up in production, the original design being so good elevated the quality of the final product. With the low quality work being done by Mattel's people at every stage of design at this point, they're making somewhat cheaply produced figures starting from weak initial design work. With 4H designs, the final production versions of the toys could leave off paint apps, they could reduce or alter articulation, they could reuse parts where the 4H's prototype had unique sculpts, they could be made from lower grade plastic, the molding might not be sharp enough to capture the detail of the prototype, etc., but by virtue of the 4H's involvement, the quality couldn't really dip below a certain level.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby Mindless-Focus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Does the 4H even work for Mattel anymore?
[This space for rent. Inquire within.]
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby JamesLynch » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Mindless-Focus wrote:Does the 4H even work for Mattel anymore?

I'm pretty sure they do. They seem to be behind a lot of the comic-based figures in the Multiverse line, and, until Matty Collector folded, they were still doing MotUC (and will stay with that line as it transitions over to Super7). It's just that Mattel has decided to go with a in-house design team for all of their DC figures based on live action properties, and whoever's been doing the design work on those should probably look for a new line of work.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby SalemCrow » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:38 pm

^ You sure?

This guy seems to have sculpted a lot of the upcoming DC comics figures. Maybe he's just using a render of a 4H body to begin with.

https://www.instagram.com/brodie_3d/

This line was doomed the minute it was announced as a Matty Collector line. I would grab a Panthro if I saw one on eBay cheap, to add to my Bandai Lion-O, Tygra, and super-amped Mumm-Ra, but nothing else.
SalemCrow
Silver Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:26 am

He does list Four Horsemen as one of the companies he's worked for/with. And in some of his DC renders, parts are colored differently, seeming to indicate which sections will be unique tooling and which will reuse existing parts from the older DCUC/Legacy bodies. The Jim Gordon Batman render is just a pair of heads, which makes sense, since the final product looks like a new head on a stock DCUC body.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby EDcomics » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:39 am

You guys are on the money.

The Thundercats thing really kills me. The 4H do still work for Mattel, but I personally have little use for Mattel product anymore.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby dragonsleeper » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:01 am

Maybe the 4H can hook us up with Cheetara and Tygra in the Mythic Legions, maybe even hide their parts in 4 figure combos to build them :mrgreen:
dragonsleeper
Standard Grunt

Postby Chicken George » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:22 pm

From the Toyark site.

"Funko dropped a major series of new licenses at Toy Fair 2018! If you’re familiar with their Mortal Kombat 5.5″ Figures, then these will fit right in with those. Among the new items are Thundercats, Horror and Conan the Barbarian!" click the link below for pictures.

http://news.toyark.com/2018/02/17/toy-f ... 094#images

These look like original MOTU size, yet the head sculpts are much better, I am not a fan of the retro figure designs, and I guess we now know why Super 7 did not get the license to continue making the classic figures Matty collector started.

I might buy some of these to rob heads to make a couple of motuc size customs.

I think these will be popular, with retro design collectors, gonna pass on most of them myself.
Chicken George
Bronze Grunt

Postby you_will_forget » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:11 pm

It's a big no from me.

I've never seen the appeal in those types of figures over something like Mythic Legions or MotUC.

I wonder if we'll ever see some love.

Jo
who got excited when he saw a new post in this thread :(
My daughter has renamed my last two trolls as "Bronty" and "Blue Sky"
you_will_forget
Silver Grunt

Postby Chicken George » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:38 am

While I will not be buying to display any of these, I am looking to get Monkey man and Cheetara for their heads. I would buy Mum-ra, if I did not already have a good head sculpt of him. I have made customs (some even before Matty Collector gave us the brief but much appreciated) of the figures not available, but would like updated head sculpts for the two mentioned.

Even if I decided to purchase these, price break looks to be 12 to 15 US dollars (Mortal Kombat figures now available in that range, online) Funko cannot be trusted to make a 2nd wave for more characters. They proved it by the way they never followed up on their Legacy figures.

I just do not get the retro figures, we have come so far in terms of how figures are made today. I know it is nostalgia for those who collected the original MOTU figures, but having bought and collected the original Thundercats LJN figures, I never liked the MOTU originals even then. But I love the updated MOTUC figures.

Bottom line is making customs in MOTUC style has filled the gap for me, these will be fodder for that end.
Chicken George
Bronze Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:26 am

I have been saying for a long time that I don't get retro-styled figures at all. I get wanting figures of things you enjoyed as a kid, but I'll take a well designed, articulated, well-sculpted figure of a Transformer or a Ninja Turtle or He-Man any day over something that looks 30 or 40 years out of date. It's especially baffling to me when a company like Funko or Super 7 takes new properties (or at least ones that never had figures back in their day) and makes figures that look just as bad as figures did 30 or 40 years ago. Who the hell wants a Buffy the Vampire Slayer figure that has softer sculpting that an original line Star Wars toy, and 5 points of articulation, when we've already had pretty nice figures from Moore Action Collectibles and Diamond Select?

Usually when I say any of this, I get pounced on by fellow collectors who, though they can never really adequately articulate their love for new figures done in crappy older styles, nevertheless shout me down for being wrong for not understanding it. It's nice to see some other people share my opinion of these odd retro-styled toys.
Last edited by JamesLynch on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby Ideal » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Yeah, I have no interest at all in retro figures, and I happily cycle older figures out of my collection when an "upgraded" figure comes out
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby Chicken George » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:34 pm

Mattel is looking to get back to the Thundercats classics, Power Con had Grune and Jaga figures on display, the ones made by 4H that were originally supposed to be year one releases, cross your fingers they sound like maybe they are go at least for these two figures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJDaTDXjmCk
Chicken George
Bronze Grunt

Postby Chicken George » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:42 pm

Of less interest to me are the Funko Savage World figures, you can pre-order Lino-o, Panthro, Mumm-ra and Slithe. BBTS, Amazon, ETC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiSZ_ZMqM5w
Chicken George
Bronze Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion