The Thundercats Thread

The place to discuss all things Four Horsemen!

Re: The Thundercats Thread

Postby JamesLynch » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:01 pm

I watched an interview that Pixel Dan did with the head of Super7 a few days ago. It sounds like what is essentially happening is that Mattel is licensing the rights to MOTU to Super7, and Super7 plans on doing a figure line in the style of MOTUC, with the 4H on board.

Because Mattel doesn't own ThunderCats, they don't have the authority to transfer the license to Super7 to continue the T-Cats line. What would need to happen is that Mattel would have to relinquish the license, allowing it to revert back to the property owner (which I believe is WB at this point?), and then Super7 would need to work out their own licensing agreement with (WB?) for the rights to make ThunderCats toys.

http://www.pixel-dan.com/motu-classics-and-thundercats-interview-with-super7-at-san-diego-comic-con-2016/
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby garyl » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:03 am

JamesLynch wrote:I watched an interview that Pixel Dan did with the head of Super7 a few days ago. It sounds like what is essentially happening is that Mattel is licensing the rights to MOTU to Super7, and Super7 plans on doing a figure line in the style of MOTUC, with the 4H on board.

Because Mattel doesn't own ThunderCats, they don't have the authority to transfer the license to Super7 to continue the T-Cats line. What would need to happen is that Mattel would have to relinquish the license, allowing it to revert back to the property owner (which I believe is WB at this point?), and then Super7 would need to work out their own licensing agreement with (WB?) for the rights to make ThunderCats toys.

http://www.pixel-dan.com/motu-classics-and-thundercats-interview-with-super7-at-san-diego-comic-con-2016/

Thanks for the link. Already, I'd rather listen to this guy than Scott.
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby Chicken George » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:33 pm

Deleted by Chicken George
Last edited by Chicken George on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken George
Bronze Grunt

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:47 pm

I know that Mattel pays the Horsemen's bills but I need to vent.......

I was online when Lion-O went on sale. I instantly put him in my box and went to pay. This is not my first Rodeo. All of my info is saved from previous orders. The website would not let me complete the transaction. I kept getting a message that there was an issue with the order. After 9 minutes of fighting with the website I got the message that Lion-O had sold out. God I really hate Matty.
Darren
Platinum Grunt

Postby Chicken George » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:04 pm

Last edited by Chicken George on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken George
Bronze Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:14 pm

Here's one for the books: I bought 2 subs, yet after simply changing my ship address, those 2 multiplied to 4 subs. I have the original order receipts. I only bought 2. Paid for 4. They have yet to figure out how that happened. They are supposed to be fixing that. Hasn't happened yet tho.
[This space for rent. Inquire within.]
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Chicken George » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:26 am

Last edited by Chicken George on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken George
Bronze Grunt

Postby babact » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:56 am

I missed out on ordering.

If anyone has an extra Lion-O, I would certainly be interested.
babact

Postby EDcomics » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:46 pm

...I haven't ordered from Matty in a long while. I just got charged for the second figure in the Tcats subscription. I looked at the charge on my credit card, and it reads $43.43. Ok. What?! Sorry if this sounds stupid, but... HOW much do these figures cost? I thought they were $25 figures. Ok, I just looked. They're $30. So... $13+ in shipping??? I'm still waiting on my Lion-O, and I get this huge charge for the next figure. Am I really off-base here? I didn't sleep last night, so maybe I'm just over-tired, but... this just doesn't seem right to me.

----

EDIT: No, I was right. Since I subscribed, it's $25 PER FIGURE. So that means I was charged $18.43 for shipping. Does that include tax? Is part of that sales tax? Even so, it can't be more than $3 in tax since I'm in NJ. We still have this huge shipping charge that makes no sense. It's certainly not expedited shipping, as I'm still waiting to get my Lion-O.

Ah, here it is. I guess I'm not on top of this stuff:

Shipping & Handling: $15.59
Tax: $2.84
Total: $43.43

WHAT?!?!?!?!?! Holy moly. That is absolutely insane. They could have stuffed that sucker in a USPS prepaid box and shipped it for less, and it would've been here already. Better yet, send the sucker First Class, and it would still get here in 3 or 4 days. Unbelievable. I have BBTS orders that come in gigantic boxes and weigh 20 lbs and still cost less to ship. What a bunch of bull.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Mindless-Focus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:07 pm

Check this out. I moved recently and changed my address a month ago. They STILL shipped to my old address. Now I gotta go on a 30 min drive just to get them. Do they not look at our account?
[This space for rent. Inquire within.]
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby EDcomics » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:21 pm

Mindless-Focus wrote:Check this out. I moved recently and changed my address a month ago. They STILL shipped to my old address. Now I gotta go on a 30 min drive just to get them. Do they not look at our account?

That's ridiculous. Their whole system is just screwed up.

I received my Lion-O figure today. I just removed the protective cardboard box, aaaaand.... I had to laugh at the packaging. I was thinking "Oh, good. It's a rectangle instead of that bizarre geometric shape they chose for MOTUC," but when I slid the entire package out, I saw the front of the "blister" is... it has a huge, embossed relief of the Sword of Omens running right down the center of the blister, absolutely ruining the view of the figure! Remember that stupid indentation on the MOTUC packaging? This is about 100 times worse than that. I also think the layout of the figure and extra parts is embarrassing, and the large empty spaces are magnified because of the bland red background. If it were me, I would have used a Cats Lair backdrop for the Thundercats, Castle Plundarr for the Mutants, the Pyramid for Mumm-Ra, etc etc etc... Third Earth had a ton of beautiful locations, and some of that art from the cartoon can surely be replicated. Ororororororororororo......

Just looking through the plastic at the figure, he looks pretty decent. The hair line is off, but that's kind of typical for Mattel these days. Nevermind it being a COLLECTORS figure. I forgot the 4H decided to go with the fur claw shield. I really, really wish they had done the smooth, metallic claw shield from the cartoon. I guess this is my chance to do some serious customizing. The figure itself looks good, though. Can't wait to try out the .... wait a minute...

...and no, I'm not just doing this for effect. I was going to say "can't wait to try out the interchangeable hands," but.... I'm not sure what I'm looking at. I would need to go back and look at the prototype or the original molds and see, but... Something seems off about the hands. Technically it's only one extra left hand, here, but they're both closed.... I don't know. Something's off...

Oh no...The clip for the hip-mounted claw shield.... or rather... the plug... they put it in the HIP instead of the STRAP. ARGH! What is WRONG with those people?!

----------

The neck is kind of wonky, too. The head on my figure sits too far to the viewer's left, and I can't get him to really put his head down. It goes left, right and back, albeit a bit strangely, but I feel like there's not enough range of motion. There are a few other nitpicks. One that does bug me a bit is the blue on the chest. It's a bit dark. They got it right on the trunks, oddly enough, but the chest armor seems a bit dark. I guess I can fix that myself, but it would be nice to not have to. That "open" hand is a huge disappointment. These new hands were produced for Lion-O, but also Filmation Skeletor at the same time... so I think technically they went out with Filmation Skeletor. Does he come with the extra open hand? I guess the mold is how it is, so all of them must be wonky. This is my first encounter with the new hands and ankles, though, and I think the joints function really well, so that's a big plus.

All in all, it's a good representation of cartoon Lion-O. I think I would be going nuts right now if I got this back in the 80's. As an adult collector, though, the factory production is a letdown.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Roland of Gilead » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:38 pm

So I signed up for the combined delivery subscription. When I wasn't charged for Lion-O I wrote to Matty concerned. Their first response was to tell me my credit card declined and my sub was cancelled. That didn't make sense because I use a prepaid card and the funds were there. When I pointed this out, they replied again that folks who have the one delivery sub get charged all at once at the end.

That does not sound like Matty to me.

Which is right?
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:52 pm

After having the Lion-O figure for a few days now, I have to say it's pretty good overall. I mean... it's a Lion-O figure that actually resembles cartoon Lion-O, and that puts it above the Bandai and Mezco figures for me. Most of my problems with the figure are from a production standpoint. His right shoulder, for example, is really messed up, but I would have to see more resent MOTUC figures to compare. It may just be that those molds are SO old that they're breaking down. Still, the Lion-O figure plays pretty well as a toy. Again, lots of nitpicks, but I'm happy to have it.

...Though it does make the cancellation sting really badly. I want the whole team, and while we ARE getting Panthro, the other Thundercats we're getting are my least favorite team members. Likewise, Jackalman is cool, but I'd rather have almost any of the other mutants first, even Monkian. I guess it's easy to play that game, though. I just REALLY hope that Super 7 can get the Thundercats license somehow and start producing these figures so the fans can get them in their hands. I mean... stuff was worked on that hasn't been shown off, and that's where the line was really going to start to shine. Mattel really let the fans down. *shakes head* I always go back to that, and I know it's tiresome, but it's true.

...but at least we got Lion-O.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby you_will_forget » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Bit irritated - got charged for my second figure but no sign of Lion-O yet.

Jo
My daughter has renamed my last two trolls as "Bronty" and "Blue Sky"
you_will_forget
Silver Grunt

Postby you_will_forget » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:15 pm

Has anyone had a shipping notice for Jackalman yet?

The charge went on my card on the 12th of October, but I haven't heard anything since.

Jo
Remembering why he hates Mattel's subscription models
My daughter has renamed my last two trolls as "Bronty" and "Blue Sky"
you_will_forget
Silver Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion