The Thundercats Thread

The place to discuss all things Four Horsemen!

Re: The Thundercats Thread

Postby EDcomics » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:08 pm

Well, it's that time again!

December 3rd, I got the email: "MattyCollector.com - Your Club Subscriptions are Renewing!"

If it goes on schedule, I'll get charged on December 10th. Now, is this the FINAL charge? We've already paid for Pumyra and Mumm-Ra, so all that's left is the P-man himself. That means this charge must be for him. I guess they'll never get caught up on the shipping dates, but as long as we get the Mumm-Ra and Panthro, I'll be at least somewhat satisfied.

I'm still holding on to hope that Super 7 will be get the license and we'll be able to get more of these figures. They're just so cool. There's so much potential. Sigh... So anyway, in about two weeks most of us Stateside should get the two figures for this month, and then it's... sheesh, January before we get Panthro. Getting impatient. I also ordered some Cyber Monday stuff from Matty. I know I probably shouldn't have, but I did... and now, of course, no shipping notification or anything. They got my money. Now it's the same old waiting game.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Izdawiz » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Lots of ThunderCats custom goodness here:

Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby you_will_forget » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Great as they look, it kinds of makes it worse that at this moment the line will be done. It's like those old game shows "here's what you COULD have won"

I'm holding out hope for Super 7 and I hope they can offer a sub if they do as opposed to pre-orders and the like.

Jo
2017 is looking to be an expensive year
My daughter has renamed my last two trolls as "Bronty" and "Blue Sky"
you_will_forget
Silver Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:20 am

This is the email I just got:

Subject: MattyCollector.com Clubs - Please Confirm your Order Status for Order #36326431300

Hi Ed,

We have not yet been able to ship the products from MattyCollector.com listed below. Your order will be fulfilled as soon as the product(s) becomes available. The estimated date of fulfillment is 01/04/2017.

Product Name SKU Unfulfilled Quantity}
2016 Thundercats Club Third Earth Subscription: Monthly Ship - Third Figure DJT90S 1
2016 Thundercats Club Third Earth Subscription: Monthly Ship - Club Figure DKB89S 1

If you are still interested in receiving this merchandise, no further action is required on your part.

If you would like to cancel this order and receive a refund, give us a call at 877-GO-MATTY or email us at MattyCollector.CS@digitalriver.com.

---------------

That's a new one for me. It's almost like they're begging to be let off the hook for having to fulfill orders. I mean, I guess I get it. I was tempted at one point to cancel the subscription, and I'd be ok with dropping Pumyra from the order, but now that we're here I don't want to miss out on Mumm-Ra. A lot of work went into that figure, and I want to have the results in my hands. Of course, the real point here is the ONE MONTH DELAY, which is totally unacceptable. What should really be happening is that Matty should offer subscribers a discount on the final figure, or just give it to us for free. They won't do that, but they should. Maybe if we're lucky we'll get Panthro by March. Sheesh.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby you_will_forget » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:36 pm

I'm just hoping you mean March 2017.

Jo
Who hasn't had that email. Yet
you_will_forget
Silver Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:54 am

I just got a shipping notification.... for PANTHRO. What the heck?

---------------------

...aaaaaand I received Mumm-Ra and Pumyra today. What happened to the January delay?

Opened Mumm-Ra. He looks good. They botched the long arm wrappings, gluing them in a such a way that I can't get the arms raised... which defeats the purpose of the second cape (or rather, the one he's packaged wearing). Also, raising the arms with that cape, the hood raises up, too. I wonder why THAT cape isn't kind of locked in around the neck like the concealing cape is. I'm a bit confused by that. I wonder if I can alter it, AND the wrappings. Aside from those things, I don't see too many glaring problems. When the legs are bent, his left foot is stuck at a wonky angle, so I'll have to heat that up and reshape the lower leg a bit. My Mumm-Ra has trouble holding the staff in his left hand, which is the preferable hand, I think, considering the shape of the cape. Some loss of detail in the fingers, but the toes came out alright. I only mention it because it was really hard to cast up those parts in the prototype stage. A lot of thin parts like the fingers, toes and wrappings had to be rebuilt, and I think they came out pretty well in the end. The face wrappings, when in the proper position, bend out a little too much when hanging outside the cape, but it's not terrible. A little heat should fix that. All in all, it's a great representation on Mumm-Ra. I think Eric did a really nice job with the sculpt, and we have a fun figure as a result. I just really regret what happened with the arm wrappings. If I recall correctly, it was supposed to connect in a totally different way than that they did. It's like the factory reshaped the ends that connect to the forearms and then added a plug, and THEN glued it at weird angles. *eyeroll* No excuse for that. Oh well.

I took Pumyra out of the mailer box and immediately saw the face. I mean.... the art on the side of the mailer box is extremely questionable. No offense to the artist, but the shouting face has some serious issues. The closed-mouth illustration on the actual cardback is much nicer. Anyway, the figure's face is messed up. I don't know for sure, but it appears as if there's some distortion in the face sculpt... but what I do know for sure is that they botched the paint. Not only are the paint apps off target with the eyes and eyebrows, and maybe cheek markings, but there's a lot of slop. Black paint on the lips. White paint on the face. On a delicate, female face, they needed to do a much better job. I think I'll contact Matty and request a replacement. I could probably repaint the face, but I shouldn't have to do that. I won't even open the figure to check out the construction. The body looks good, though the neck looks almost too long now. I wonder if the factory added extra height somehow with the neck-to-head connection. *shrug*

So Mumm-Ra is, for me, a 7.5/10 rating. Pumyra is 3/10 just based on the face paint job.

PS- On the face wrappings... Eric sculpted/engineered it so the tips of the wrappings were like pegs that went up into slots in Mumm-Ra's head, to create a nearly seamless appearance. Either Mattel or the factory have re-engineered this to have a somewhat uglier appearance. Not a huge deal with the hood on, but for me it knocked another half point off the rating.

The face still looks great.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Izdawiz » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Thundercats Ho! Ho! Ho! Got a very cool early Christmas present when all of my Thundercats Classics subscription figures were delivered yesterday by Mattel. Here's a review of Mumm-Ra and here's hoping that Super 7 takes over the line and keeps it rolling!
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby SD-2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:31 pm

So I didn’t get the sub for the T-Cats. I did notice that all of these were (except for Lion-O) still on sale at ‘Matty pretty much until the end. I just couldn’t pull the trigger on these… I don’t really know why. I love the T-Cats even more than MOTU.

I did get an e-mail from the S-7 the other day saying that they were still trying to get the license. If they do, I guess I’ll bite then.
SD-2
Bronze Grunt

Postby SD-2 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:26 pm

zombie13 wrote:Shoot, I just scored a Sentry at Walmart for $7.50 More Fodder boots and Odin Arms for Mythic Legions customs!

And I know what you mean AdultCollector. I cringe a little every time I buy a figure online because I never know what the paint will look like, or if it will even have all the correct body parts. Nothing worse that getting a figure with two left feet and two lazy eyes.

I thought seriously about getting another Sentry too, but then remembered that I’d already bought an extra (darn it) but at that price, I still thought about getting another one!

worldwar_hulk wrote:
I'm usually just too terrified to wait that long for the prices to drop. I always worry that I'll end up missing certain figures all together. So I spend $20 each like a sucker, when they first come out.

I used to be too… but if you’re vigilant, all the new figs from sets drop down to anywhere from $15 - $10 on Amazon. Even BBTS has drops every set down to $100 after a while. Although, If you wait too long, some of the prices do go back up eventually.
SD-2
Bronze Grunt

Postby you_will_forget » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Okay, I got my Super 7 newsletter about the podcast but can't access it as I'm in the middle of a field in Donington.

It says there is Thundercats news, can anyone elaborate?

Jo
Who could really do with some good news after the election debacle
you_will_forget
Silver Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:13 pm

I haven't listened but with the description of "Thundercats (sad) news," it can't be good.
[This space for rent. Inquire within.]
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby JamesLynch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Super 7 have officially announced that their attempts to get the Thundercats license and continue the Mattel/4H line have failed.
http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=291&itemid=29125
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby you_will_forget » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:29 am

Well that sucks. If anyone hears about a possible reboot, please put it up here. I'm not in the loop for general toy news these days. I can't afford to collect anything other than Mythic Legions really.

Jo
you_will_forget
Silver Grunt

Postby Chicken George » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Mattel really screwed us on this one! What with the closing of Matty Collector, when all they really needed to do was get rid of Digital River, to the down grading of all their Multiverse figures, (the Wonder Woman figures are terrible, small size and lack of sculpt detail, only good thing from that set is the BAF Aries figure).

Thundercats was a great series, I was looking forward to many of the original series figures as well as some from last reboot, oh well, if they are made by someone else lets hope it is not the Mattel Multiverse folks or another bad attempt by Ban-Dai. Maybe Diamond Select or one of the other DC manufactures.
Chicken George
Bronze Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Chicken George wrote:Mattel really screwed us on this one! What with the closing of Matty Collector, when all they really needed to do was get rid of Digital River, to the down grading of all their Multiverse figures, (the Wonder Woman figures are terrible, small size and lack of sculpt detail, only good thing from that set is the BAF Aries figure).

Thundercats was a great series, I was looking forward to many of the original series figures as well as some from last reboot, oh well, if they are made by someone else lets hope it is not the Mattel Multiverse folks or another bad attempt by Ban-Dai. Maybe Diamond Select or one of the other DC manufactures.

I think most of the issue with the DC Multiverse line is that pretty much any Mattel action figure that the 4H didn't design for them sucks. I don't know who Mattel's in-house designers are, but they should probably find a new line of work. Action figure design is clearly not their calling.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion