Getting Marvel Legends on the Cheap

The place to discuss all things Four Horsemen!

Getting Marvel Legends on the Cheap

Postby SD-2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:50 pm

Has anybody else notice that if you what a ‘coupla months after their release you can legends on Amazon for like $10 - $15 bucks pretty easy? And if you wait like 6 mos they’re on BBTS for about $100 for the whole set? I know I’ve been able to army build some of these on the cheap.

And I still see them in Walmarts and Targets for $20 backs a pop.

Do you guys still go after these when they’re first released? Is there an urgency to have them as soon as they come out?
SD-2
Bronze Grunt

Re: Getting Marvel Legends on the Cheap

Postby crazybirdman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:45 pm

I usually only grab them early if i want the BAF. If so i just pre-order a case. Otherwise, yeah i wait and pick them up later. I usually try to find the figure loose/with out the BAF part to save a few bucks.
crazybirdman
Silver Grunt

Postby SD-2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Interesting that you say that... I just saw that the Guardians wave is up for preorder $20 buck ea. I really want the Angelica fig. I hope they use it later to make a Sif.
SD-2
Bronze Grunt

Postby Izdawiz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:32 am

I only grab the must-gets. Then clean up on Amazon for the figures I can live with missing out on.
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby AdultCollector » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:02 pm

Always tempted to pick up some Marvel Legends from Amazon, but after receiving too many Mattycollector figures with botched paint apps, I'm very worried about quality control with anything I order.
AdultCollector
Standard Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Shoot, I just scored a Sentry at Walmart for $7.50 More Fodder boots and Odin Arms for Mythic Legions customs!

And I know what you mean AdultCollector. I cringe a little every time I buy a figure online because I never know what the paint will look like, or if it will even have all the correct body parts. Nothing worse that getting a figure with two left feet and two lazy eyes.
Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
Follow me on Instagram at zombie13.customs
zombie13
Smith

Postby worldwar_hulk » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:42 pm

I've seen the trend as well. A friend sent me a screenshot shot of his 4 new Marvel Legends he purchased from amazon for $30 shipped. Reminds me of the good old days when Marvel Legends were only $7 to begin with.

I'm usually just too terrified to wait that long for the prices to drop. I always worry that I'll end up missing certain figures all together. So I spend $20 each like a sucker, when they first come out.
worldwar_hulk
Silver Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:30 pm

I just picked up Havok, Iceman, Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Girl, Electro, Iron Skull, Secret War Captain America, Wonder Man, Captain Britain, and Eel for around $10 a pop off of Walmart's website last week. I've never even seen most of those show up in stores. Yeah, Havok and Iceman are warming pegs, and I've seen a couple of the Cap wave 2 figures appear sporadically, but that's about it. Now they're half price? The only bad part is that there were no Silk, Hobgoblins, or brown suit Wolverines, so the Juggernaut and Space Knight Venom BAF's remain incomplete. Abomination's good to go, though.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby SD-2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:31 pm

SD-2 wrote:
zombie13 wrote:Shoot, I just scored a Sentry at Walmart for $7.50 More Fodder boots and Odin Arms for Mythic Legions customs!

And I know what you mean AdultCollector. I cringe a little every time I buy a figure online because I never know what the paint will look like, or if it will even have all the correct body parts. Nothing worse that getting a figure with two left feet and two lazy eyes.

I thought seriously about getting another Sentry too, but then remembered that I’d already bought an extra (darn it) but at that price, I still thought about getting another one!

worldwar_hulk wrote:
I'm usually just too terrified to wait that long for the prices to drop. I always worry that I'll end up missing certain figures all together. So I spend $20 each like a sucker, when they first come out.

I used to be too… but if you’re vigilant, all the new figs from sets drop down to anywhere from $15 - $10 on Amazon. Even BBTS has drops every set down to $100 after a while. Although, If you wait too long, some of the prices do go back up eventually.
SD-2
Bronze Grunt

Postby tigerq » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:10 pm

the new star-lord is good
tigerq

Postby Spongyblue » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Some Marvel Legends (Dr Strange, Cap Giant-Man wave) are popping up at Ross Dress for Less for around $6.99.
Spongyblue
Silver Grunt

Postby TheSlayerOfTears » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:16 pm

My Walmart only has the older Legends figures. I tend to go for the Symbiotes, and I'm on the lookout for Venom and normal Carnage. I have Spider-Carnage/Ben Reilly, Black Panther, Anti-Venom, and Jack O'Lantern, though I hate him due to his terrible joints.
"Godzilla has turned the heart of Tokyo into a sea of fire. Beneath the flames, thousands lie dead or dying. Nothing can save the city now."
TheSlayerOfTears

Postby Ideal » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:22 pm

I just picked up the 12in Marvel Legends figures at Walmart for $13 each.
They had Capt America, Iron Man and Spider-Man
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby SD-2 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:58 pm

I’m really impressed with number of Legends and Multiverse figs that have come out lately…

I still see them pop up on Amazon for $20 retail now and again. I love both lines, so I always put the figs. in my cart and will leave them there to see if they go up or down in price before I pull the trigger.

It annoys me to see scalpers selling these on Amazon for exorbitant prices. It’s those 3rd party sellers have our number, right :?: Taking advantage of our plastic crack addiction :!: :x Are we really paying upwards of $40 for these just to get them quick :?:

‘Tho recently I can’t just bring myself to actually buy these at retail…

It’s funny… I totally think they’re worth the $20, but I always feel stupid when I see the dramatic price drops. I see a lot of these reduced down to $8-$12.

With TRU going belly up, I wonder if we’ll see Targets and ‘Wallies continue offer these. It really seems like Mattel and Hasbro compete with themselves by offering simpler versions of the same toys thru cheaper lines.

Does that mean that we’ll eventually only be able to get these on line :?: I wonder if it will bring down or ultimately raise the retail price.
SD-2
Bronze Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:59 pm

I don't know, at this point I'm about ready to give up on Marvel Legends. It's just gotten to the point where they're pumping out too many, too fast, and too few of them are anything I'd actually want. I saw the Deadpool wave at Meijer the other day, and I picked up X-23 and Domino (even though Domino is just Mockingbird with a new head and accessories), and I knew there was no way I would want to lay out $80-100 to get the other 4-5 figures to complete Sasquatch (there are 2 Deadpools in the wave, only one of which is needed to complete the BAF). And that's how it's been for nearly every wave released in the last few years. There's one or two figures I want (or sometimes characters I want, since the rampant parts reuse means sometimes the figures of cool characters turn out kind of lame), one or two I wouldn't mind having, but then a BAF that I want. I have several partially completed BAF's sitting around that I doubt I'll ever finish, and a few that I completed but still felt bad buying several figures I didn't want just to do so (or paying a premium on eBay to get just the BAF piece).

The line feels too watered down, and now with Bandai Tamashii and Revoltech and Figma really covering a lot of the same ground but in much higher quality, I'm starting to feel really disillusioned with Marvel Legends.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Next

Return to General Discussion