Latest non-4H purchase

The place to discuss all things Four Horsemen!

Re: Latest non-4H purchase

Postby Izdawiz » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:23 pm

EDcomics wrote:Yeah, it's very cool. I went ahead and ordered the horse as well. I prefer the grey and gold metal look to the colored version. I have a couple of items in my Pile of Loot on BBTS. I'm just waiting on one S.I.C. figure to arrive before I have it all shipped together. Getting impatient, though. It was due in January, but January's almost over!

Am I allowed to hotlink stuff from the Fwoosh? If this disappears, I'll find another image later.

So this horse is like for six-inch figures?
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby Tekwych » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:53 pm

EDcomics wrote: I have a couple of items in my Pile of Loot on BBTS. I'm just waiting on one S.I.C. figure to arrive before I have it all shipped together.

I chosose to ship my Pile of Loot got the shipping notice yesterday and woke up this ,owning to find more stuff had arrived and was waiting for me. :P :oops:

Can't win, can't get it all in one box
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Golden Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:09 am

Iz, the horse is NOT for 6" figures. It's a Revoltech figure, so that makes it more of a 4" or 5" scale deal. There's a chance it would work for a 6" figure, but I wouldn't count on it. It'll probably be much smaller than, say, a MOTUC animal.

Tek, I can imagine how frustrating that must be. I just need my S.I.C. Leangle Jack Form to arrive so I can ship my Pile of Loot.

EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Izdawiz » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:49 pm

That Leangle Jack is insane! I always wait the full amount of time to get my Pile of Loot and once I even asked them to hold it extra time so something else could come in and they did. BBTS is pretty darn good.
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby evenflow » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:19 am

Hot Toys Blade and Red Skull.
evenflow
Standard Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:50 pm

Magic the Gathering and Game of Thrones figures:
Not sure where these will end up. As you can probably see, they're standing atop a printer box in this picture.

Anyway, I know next to nothing about MtG, and I've only seen a couple episodes of GoT (I know, it's a great show, and at some point I want to go back and watch it from the beginning, but that seems like a huge undertaking that I don't really have time for at the moment), but Target has been dropping the price on these things like mad. These 6 figures, 6" scale, cost $50. The purple lady's left hand broke off, so that's glued back on, but otherwise no problems yet. I have been trying to be very careful, given the reputation Funko's early figures had for fragile joints.

Assassin's Creed pirate lady:
Another figure of a character I really know nothing about. I don't play too many video games. All I know is, she's a cool looking figure of a kickass pirate lady, so that's enough for me.

SH Figuarts Luigi
Here's a videogame figure from a game I actually have played (or a bunch of games). I always liked Luigi better than Mario, personally. The store I got this from also had the new diorama set, with the red pipe and the piranha plant and buzzy beetle, but I was already spending too much this weekend, and I may need to be buying a new car soon, so that diorama set will have to wait a little bit.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby CoffeeCupRobot » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:29 pm

ImageRobot Spirits Sinanju by CoffeeCupRobot.com, on Flickr

Robot Spirits Sinanju. Amazing figure!!!
CoffeeCupRobot

Postby CoffeeCupRobot » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Oh! and this Insecticon! Lovely little fella!

ImageTransformers Insecticon Bombshell by CoffeeCupRobot.com, on Flickr
CoffeeCupRobot

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Was thinking about buying some of these: Does anyone have one that can vouch for its quality? Or any other of the Bandai effects?

crazybirdman
Silver Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:08 pm

I have the fire and crater effects. I highly recommend both the blue and red fire packs (or flame packs). I have one grey crater. While it's cool, I'm using it more as a tray to hold loose change and small parts than using it as an actual diorama piece. The center of it doesn't lock into super-tightly, so it can pop out pretty easily when handling... but the quality is good. It's not a defect. It's just not designed to lock in.

I'm definitely going to order both the grey and yellow explosion effects, as well as the rerelease of the blue and red flame packs.

...Though after seeing that photo, I'm not entirely sure what comes in each explosion pack.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby CoffeeCupRobot » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:27 am

Well as far as a change bowl goes, that's pretty bad ass
CoffeeCupRobot

Postby crazybirdman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:48 am

it looks like there are 3 explosions that can be stacked/combined to form one large one.
crazybirdman
Silver Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:47 pm

Marvel Legends Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel/Captain America/Radioactive Man
The three pack is down to $24.99, if you can still find it. Of the three Targets I frequent, only one had a single pack left. You may notice that Cap and Radioactive Man are pushed to the back, because I honestly don't care about those figures. Cap I guess is okay for no other reason than he comes with another nice shield. I mainly bought this pack as a Carol Danvers fan.

Which brings me to something that I can't figure out. The Ms. Marvel from this pack and the solo-boxed Captain Marvel version use the same body, but not the same face sculpt. Apparently this decision made sense to someone? These figures were released a couple months apart, and both feature unique headsculpts. They have different hair, sure (because apparently, in the three years or so that Carol's had the new costume, no one at Hasbro bothered to look at any art beyond the initial concept pieces to find that her hair was lengthened due to negative reader reaction to the faux-hawk. Even some of the original art pieces were altered to lengthen the hair), but the hair is a separate rubber piece glued onto the plastic head, so they could have easily reused the base head and added a new hair piece. The mask edges on the Ms. Marvel version aren't sculpted on, which, given that I found this pack a few days before I found the solo version, I figured was done so that the face could be reused. I get that fans usually appreciate as much new tooling as possible in their figures, but not when it is completely unnecessary and counter-intuitive. These figures don't look like the same woman in a different suit, they look like two different women. Couldn't the tooling dollars have gone towards something more productive, like forearms and shins with glove-tops/boot-tops sculpted on? Part of the reasoning behind Carol's new costume was to look more militaristic and less painted-on (okay, and the old one did feature something like a one-piece bathing suit).

That's one of my biggest grips about this wave of figures (other than I don't care about a couple of the characters. I mean, Machine Man?). It's all so cheap. White Iron Fist? Cool, except that his banded bracers are just painted on and look dopey. I'm still not sure if Hawkeye reusing Winter Soldier's robotic arm as his archer-sleeved arm is smart or lame. Besides Carol, the figure out of this line I'd like the most is Odin, but no way am I plunking down the cash for all the figures I don't want out of this line just to build him.

SH Figuarts Mario Bros diorama set C
To go along with the Luigi Figuart, Bandai has released a third diorama set. I'll be honest, I love these sets, but they take up so much linear space on the shelf. Given the nature of the Mario Bros games, it's the only display option that makes sense, but between the two figures and three diorama sets (and I only have one of each set, personally. I'm sure plenty of people have many more), they're taking up over two feet of linear shelf space. And they're nice figures and sets, so I don't want to put anything in front of them to block the view, or hide anything else behind them.

Star Wars Black Yoda and TIE Fighter Pilot
I love the Black series. It's one of my favorite toy lines in years, even with all its (obvious) flaws. But I cannot recall another time in my life when I felt I was getting so little value for my toy-buying dollar at regular retail as I did when I laid down $20 for a 3" Yoda. I love Yodam he's a must-have character for any SW collection, and I understand how having one figure that uses a third as much material as the other figures in the line allows for more production cost to go into the other figures with the line still turning a profit. I get all that. But I still spent $20 on a 3" figure at TRU. And he's got a crappy soft-goods robe. And no knee articulation. Buying a Yoda figure should never give anyone buyer's remorse, but that's what I've got a bit of here. Maybe if the robe didn't suck as much. Maybe if he could use his knees. Maybe if his fingers were actually spread wide enough to grip his lightsaber comfortably. Maybe if he had some more or better accessories. I'd even settle for Luke's flashlight thing or some of this freeze-dried hot dogs. Yoda here actually makes the R2 figure look like a slightly less-crappy value.

The TIE Pilot? A solid figure, though it feels a little weird to have a TIE pilot with no TIE fighter. I mean, the Scout Trooper got his speeder bike, right? Sure, a TIE Fighter scaled to this line might never happen, but it still seems odd to have the pilot standing around, wearing his flight helmet and breathing tubes and everything.

Power Rangers Legacy Tigerzord
I have to admit, as someone who owns the original Tigerzord (and loved the hell out of it for years), this Tigerzord is superior in nearly ever way. The sculpt is better (and more sow-accurate), the paint is better, and it doesn't have this annoying translucent red shoulder/mouth caps that kept popping off constantly. The only thing I can think of that the original version has going for it is that the legs were a bit more stable in tiger mode.

By I still can't help but feel a little disappointed. I know, I'm complaining a lot, but I laid down $80 for this thing (they also had Saba, which I would very much like to own, but Saba's $100 and I have no where to display it, while I know I'll get more use out of Tigerzord). It looks pretty great, but it's also go essentially the same articulation that the old Tigerzord from 20 years ago had. In robot mode, the knees bend about 40 degrees, but the hips don't move at all, so bending knees don't do much for posing (or, if you were to actually want to play with the thing, kicking, squatting, kneeling, sitting, etc.). The elbows don't bend much further, thanks to the tiger mode's front paws being in the way. The shoulders swivel front and back, and for some reason they move outward about 10 degrees. Looking at the shoulder construction, this was obviously an intentional point of articulation, but was for some ungodly reason restricted so heavily as to make it essentially useless. I can't even really see where the point of restriction is, but it's in there somewhere, because the shoulders are not going out any further. There's nothing in the neck, nothing in the waste.

For an $80 collectible, I really want more. The Dragonzrod from last year even had more poseability than this, ant it at least had the excuse of some of the design elements (like the crest/upper arms limiting arm movement) not allowing for more range. But the Tigerzord's essentially humanoid (and feline, in tiger mode). It could have a lot more articulation, and for $80, I expect a little more than a figure that seems really only designed to stand up ramrod straight.

Still no word on if we'll get any Thunderzords to accompany him. He's definitely got the necessary features to accommodate them if we do. The combination of Tigerzord and Dinozrds that the box shows is honestly pretty damn weak.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby CoffeeCupRobot » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Split a 3A Panda Merc Set with a friend and got this guy! He's great!

Image3A Panda Merc 2 by CoffeeCupRobot.com, on Flickr

CoffeeCupRobot

Postby JamesLynch » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:59 pm

Saba

Because Saba.

A roughly 28", lights-and-sounds Saba.

I still think the blade could stand to be a little longer, but overall, a very nice item (I'm a touch worried how the mechanics in the jaw will age, but there's really no way to tell). I just have to figure out how/where I'm going to display it.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion