Desk Jockey

The place to discuss all things Four Horsemen!

Re: Desk Jockey: Sydot *updated 11/13/2013*

Postby dwaltrip » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:46 am

EDcomics wrote:Interesting insight in today's entry:

http://www.sourcehorsemen.com/?p=1074

Even though I had the privilege of working on the casting/cleaning/assembly of this guy with Shane and Owen, I have to admit I didn't really understand how the legs went together. It's cool to read what was going on in Eric's mind while working on it. A lot of strange anatomy going on there. Definitely an odd creature.

...and Sydot's pretty odd as well ;)

Wow, the leg really took the jump to looking completed in this post. It is crazy how it goes from a mound of clay to the smoothed out finished product with so many details. It really is kind of amazing.
dwaltrip
Golden Grunt

Re: Desk Jockey: Sydot *updated 11/15/2013*

Postby Baena » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:49 pm

That's what's fascinating to me, watching the clay go from rough to finished.

I'm guessing it's a lot of re-working an area until it's right, using the little torch to re-soften and smooth things out… again, just guessing! There are a number of tools used to help in all of this of course. Rakes, scrapers, loops, etc.
Baena
Bronze Grunt

Postby Tekwych » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:34 pm

I really enjoy these but I'm going to be a nit picker. These need to be better organized on the site. Have a link or page that collect the series in one place without other news breaking it up. This also highlights the problems of trying to maintain the same info on two web sites. Having Powerlordsreturn.com and sourcehorsemen.com makes for a LOT more work on the back end. Work that Ed and the guys don't need if they want to create figures. Combining things, making everything fall under the sourcehorsemen banner would allow for postings to be made once and then tagged or arranged as needed.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Golden Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:11 pm

Tekwych wrote:I really enjoy these but I'm going to be a nit picker. These need to be better organized on the site. Have a link or page that collect the series in one place without other news breaking it up. This also highlights the problems of trying to maintain the same info on two web sites. Having Powerlordsreturn.com and sourcehorsemen.com makes for a LOT more work on the back end. Work that Ed and the guys don't need if they want to create figures. Combining things, making everything fall under the sourcehorsemen banner would allow for postings to be made once and then tagged or arranged as needed.

I've actually got a Desk Jockey Archives page in the works, and there'll be a button added to the menu bar very soon. I'm still learning the ins and outs of Wordpress in between working on commissions and whatnot, but I hope to have the site more organized as time goes on.

As for Power Lords Returns... though Source Horsemen links directly there without a local dedicated info page, PLR is essentially a fan site. It's totally fan-run, and I don't really know all the details. In any case, your points are duly noted. Thanks.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Re: Desk Jockey: Sydot *updated 11/19/2013*

Postby Mindless-Focus » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:28 pm

Does Izdawiz run that? I know he does a lot of the postings there.
[This space for rent. Inquire within.]
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Tekwych » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:10 am

Your doing a great job Ed. And learning and doing at the same time is hard but you retain the info faster and longer by doing it.

I appreciate what your doing and thank you for it. I'll also be here to help if you ever need it.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Golden Grunt

Postby Izdawiz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Mindless-Focus wrote:Does Izdawiz run that? I know he does a lot of the postings there.

Rumor has it that it is run by a shadowy and mysterious Meso-American cult that has been awaiting the return of the Nine Lords of Power since 669 AD.

Remember the original press release?

“The Mayan year 13.0.0.0.0 has begun. As foretold in 669 AD by the famous prophecy carved into Monument 6 in the Mayan site of Tortuguero, this date signals the return of the “Bolon Yokte Ku” — The Nine Lords of Power. It is therefore, with great reverence, that the Four Horsemen of the Toypocalypse hereby proclaim the return of the Nine Power Lords and reveal the identity of a Tenth who dwells among us and has the power to save us all.”
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Re: Desk Jockey: Sydot *updated 11/22/2013*

Postby Johnnyutah » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:59 pm

Really enjoying these updates. The best part for me is seeing how simple Sydot started with the elongated frame to being so ridiculously detailed and refined. The detail on the hands alone is amazing. Awesome talent! 8-)
Johnnyutah
Bronze Grunt

Postby Johnnyutah » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:59 pm

The latest update on the front page showing Sydot's finished head is amazing! Jaw articulation! Separate tongue piece! Can't wait to see how that works!
Johnnyutah
Bronze Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Would absolutely love to see this continue with other characters.
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby Johnnyutah » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:26 pm

After today's post showing the head of Sydot broken down I am amazed even more. I want Adam Power/Lord Power ASAP but Sydot has risen to the top for me!
Johnnyutah
Bronze Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:33 pm

And then some.
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

Postby EDcomics » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:41 pm

Hey, just want to talk about Desk Jockey for a minute. This entry here:

http://www.sourcehorsemen.com/?p=1118

Is, by far, my favorite. Of course, an action figure's head is arguably the most important piece. If it looks wrong, it can ruin the entire figure. On Sydot, the head is HUGE, so it's more important for it to be perfect. Just looking at these photos side-by-side, I'm blown away. I really like this sculpt a lot. Not a big fan of the character overall, but I love the head sculpt. It could easily have been done as a solid, closed-mouth sculpt, but the articulated jaw and detailed mouth and tongue put this sucker over the top. I love it.

Also, as cool as the final plastic toy will be, there's something special about these clay sculpts. They just look so cool. I almost wish there was a way to achieve this color and finish in plastic, so we could have a "Workshop Version" or something. That sounds stupid, but I think it would be cool. Can't wait for more aliens.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Johnnyutah » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 am

The sheen reflecting off of the clay almost makes Sydot's skin look real, like that of a salamander or newt. It would be cool if it could be replicated.
Johnnyutah
Bronze Grunt

Postby Mindless-Focus » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:24 am

That's why I really dug the test shots. They are close to this in color.
Mindless-Focus
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion