Movie suggestions?

Re: Movie suggestions?

Postby Tekwych » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman created the world of Krynn for TSR and wrote many novels about the Dragonlance world, many designed to tie into the RPG system of AD&D. Tracy went on to design several RPG universes for many different companies while Margaret now runs her own company with the RPG license for Firefly among others. The Chronicles that started what became the core of AD&D were Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Golden Grunt

Postby Dayraven » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:36 pm

LordKhan wrote:
Nekk-ra wrote:Regarding books, one of my favorites is "The Dragonlance Chronicles" by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. They novelized a series of A D & D sub-series modules into a very engaging read.

By this do you mean what's called the Chronicles Trilogy? Looking at wikipedia, there's a lot of Dragonlance books by various authors. My library doesn't have any of the Chronicles trilogy, but they do have a few of the others written by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman.

They also have a few books of another series by the same two authors, called Dragonships, any idea if those are any good?

yup, those are good jump in books. for my tastes, the writing is a little light, but clearly, YMMV. as a guy who played a half-elf character for about 3 years, the primary character tanis half elven felt kind of one dimensional and weak, but that's also largely due to the investment in time and cooperative energy of playing games vs reading a book. on the plus side, all of the many protagonists in chronicles go on to advance in other stories (and corresponding game supplements) so you see them grow over time and become more potent and more important to their setting... without chronicles, you have no origin story for the other works they appear it.

can not vouch for dragonships specifically, but i think the writing team is solid. if you enjoy Chronicles, i'm sure you'd dig dragonships.
Dayraven
Bronze Grunt

Postby boogieman4hire » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:44 pm

Dracula Untold, Army of Darkness, Legend, Maleficent, Black Knight(Martin Lawrence), The Neverending Story, Wizards(1977), Ella Enchanted, Pan's Labyrinth, Warriors of Virtue, Bridge to Terabithia, and of course To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything!
boogieman4hire
Golden Grunt

Postby Visionary » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:48 pm

My Top 5 Best Fantasy Films

Krull
Clash of the Titans(1981)
Conan the Barbarian
Jason and the Argonauts
Willow
Last edited by Visionary on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you look real close,you can see my avatar is laughing at you.
Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby twehner31 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:52 am

Thanks to boogieman4hire for revisiting this thread!
In perusing it, I've uncovered a plethora of possibilities to check out: both movies & books. Thanks to all who have shared here!

Regarding books, I recalled one I read a few years back: a sort of modern take on the ancient gods. I had to look up the title: American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Turns out that Loolar had referenced this author. It also turns out that a TV series has been created based on that novel. I mostly dug the novel: good writing, great characters & overall a truly interesting take on the ancient gods- felt that the ending kind of petered out though (a bit too 'happily ever after' for my taste). Anyway, I noticed that Ian McShane plays one of the main characters & figured that might be worth checking out. Anyone seen any of this series? If so, care to critique?
twehner31
Bronze Grunt

Postby Gowron » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:18 am

boogieman4hire wrote:Dracula Untold, Army of Darkness, Legend, Maleficent, Black Knight(Martin Lawrence), The Neverending Story, Wizards(1977), Ella Enchanted, Pan's Labyrinth, Warriors of Virtue, Bridge to Terabithia, and of course To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything!

You Sir, are a necromancer. So many long dead threads are suddenly coming back to life.
Gowron
Silver Grunt

Postby Visionary » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:32 am

twehner31 wrote:Thanks to boogieman4hire for revisiting this thread!
In perusing it, I've uncovered a plethora of possibilities to check out: both movies & books. Thanks to all who have shared here!

Regarding books, I recalled one I read a few years back: a sort of modern take on the ancient gods. I had to look up the title: American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Turns out that Loolar had referenced this author. It also turns out that a TV series has been created based on that novel. I mostly dug the novel: good writing, great characters & overall a truly interesting take on the ancient gods- felt that the ending kind of petered out though (a bit too 'happily ever after' for my taste). Anyway, I noticed that Ian McShane plays one of the main characters & figured that might be worth checking out. Anyone seen any of this series? If so, care to critique?

I'm up to episode 6 and though it is a bit off beat I'm still intrigued enough to watch it through.It has that eerie mystical feel that I like.I say watch if you liked the novel.
Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby Visionary » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:55 am

Holy Smoke!!!

Either I've never seen this or I have forgotten about it!

Gotta watch soon!

Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby boogieman4hire » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Gowron wrote:
boogieman4hire wrote:Dracula Untold, Army of Darkness, Legend, Maleficent, Black Knight(Martin Lawrence), The Neverending Story, Wizards(1977), Ella Enchanted, Pan's Labyrinth, Warriors of Virtue, Bridge to Terabithia, and of course To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything!

You Sir, are a necromancer. So many long dead threads are suddenly coming back to life.

Thank you. And yes that's almost true. Back in 2012 I used to have this turtle which I named Anguirus. Winters used to never get too cold here but that year the weather was freaky and it hit all time lows coating everything with thick layers of frost. I got up that morning and the water was a solid block of ice with her having been frozen alive in a swimming position. I was so mortified wondering what I could do. I know you're never supposed to put a living thing in the microwave but I did. For 2 minutes. Then I heated up water in a cup and poured it into the tank. The water was unfrozen but the turtle just stayed motionless. I left on a little rock inside the tank and just sat there all depressed. It wasn't until like an hour later that my sister comes to me frantically telling me the turtle is swimming. And I go to check and sure enough there it is moving around perfectly alive. I pick it up and it stretches out its neck and stares at me. It died like half a year later when it drowned but I still find that situation really crazy and I couldn't believe it somehow survived that.
boogieman4hire
Golden Grunt

Postby Visionary » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:11 pm

Wow,you're a healer!

Cool story bro.
Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby christianpyro » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:51 pm

boogieman4hire wrote:
Gowron wrote:

Thank you. And yes that's almost true. Back in 2012 I used to have this turtle which I named Anguirus. Winters used to never get too cold here but that year the weather was freaky and it hit all time lows coating everything with thick layers of frost. I got up that morning and the water was a solid block of ice with her having been frozen alive in a swimming position. I was so mortified wondering what I could do. I know you're never supposed to put a living thing in the microwave but I did. For 2 minutes. Then I heated up water in a cup and poured it into the tank. The water was unfrozen but the turtle just stayed motionless. I left on a little rock inside the tank and just sat there all depressed. It wasn't until like an hour later that my sister comes to me frantically telling me the turtle is swimming. And I go to check and sure enough there it is moving around perfectly alive. I pick it up and it stretches out its neck and stares at me. It died like half a year later when it drowned but I still find that situation really crazy and I couldn't believe it somehow survived that.

How did it drown?
christianpyro
Bronze Apprentice

Postby boogieman4hire » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:17 pm

She died September 3rd that year on a Monday. I was at school and I guess she flipped herself over and couldn't flip herself back up. When I got home I found her and the rigor mortis was already set in. She was upside down with her legs outstretched and her neck arched backwards. Since then I've never had another turtle.
boogieman4hire
Golden Grunt

Postby christianpyro » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:21 pm

boogieman4hire wrote:She died September 3rd that year on a Monday. I was at school and I guess she flipped herself over and couldn't flip herself back up. When I got home I found her and the rigor mortis was already set in. She was upside down with her legs outstretched and her neck arched backwards. Since then I've never had another turtle.

Huh, I assume this was an Aquatic turtle (as opposed to a desert one). I wouldn't have thought it could have drowned like that.
christianpyro
Bronze Apprentice

Postby boogieman4hire » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Pond slider. It's those turtles that are green with yellow lines everywhere and red streaks on the side of their heads.
boogieman4hire
Golden Grunt

Postby ReallyBigKid » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Not a film, but I'm hearing excellent things about the animated Castlevania on Netflix. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.
ReallyBigKid
Bronze Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive