Mythic Legions ART BOOK - May we get a current update?

Re: Mythic Legions ART BOOK - May we get a current update?

Postby supreme-d » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:44 pm

That elf comic had me cracking up. Thanks for posting that link.
supreme-d
Bronze Grunt

Postby domu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:49 pm

supreme-d wrote:That elf comic had me cracking up. Thanks for posting that link.

I backed the Kickstarter for a hardcover copy. It is really good, developing way beyond the simple slap stick gags at the beginning into an engaging story with great characters (while maintaining the humor). The art is amazing throughout. The hardcover presentation is so worth it. It's huge and looks and feels like a premium product.
Buying Test Shots. Looking for: Bolthor, B'alam & Snagg
domu
Bronze Apprentice

Postby Sir Real » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks for the forwarded link, folks. You all know I'm a backer.

Ok, so, no trading cards. Still a mystery. If this is the entirety of the book (which does mention the RPG, so I think it may be), then this is a problem for me.

Biggest error after initial skim: "You're" instead of "Your". Seriously, why couldn't they catch that?

My reaction is "eh". Guess I expected better, especially after this long.

I know I expected trading cards. :(
Sir Real
Bronzesmith

Postby domu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Totally high-jacking the thread, but I really love this comic.
Here's a better link (from the beginning):
http://elf-comic.thecomicseries.com/comics/first/

domu
Bronze Apprentice

Postby Neptunebastard » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Sir Real wrote:Thanks for the forwarded link, folks. You all know I'm a backer.

Ok, so, no trading cards. Still a mystery. If this is the entirety of the book (which does mention the RPG, so I think it may be), then this is a problem for me.

Biggest error after initial skim: "You're" instead of "Your". Seriously, why couldn't they catch that?

I don't think it's nit-picking either...yes we pledged for action figures but we were advertised a book with cards and a table-top RPG element...it seems that was unceremoniously dropped without bothering to mention it and that bothers me...
Neptunebastard
Platinum Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:03 pm

domu wrote:I can't say I'm disappointed in the book, but only because my expectations were very low to begin with. The Four Horsemen are incredible toy makers. They have zero experience making comics (as far as I know). The book was never the focus of the campaign. Never quite understood why expectations were so high for so many.

A couple of reasons expectations were so high, I think.

1) The book was supposed to be handled by professionals, so when the final product is less-than-professional in quality, that's disappointing. The 4H weren't the ones sitting there writing, drawing, editing, and paginating everything. They hired an allegedly pro studio to do that for them.

2) The art book was supposed to be just that: an art book. The comic was supposed to be just one element of it, with the rest dedicated to the areas where the 4H shine, which is the design/creation of this toy line. If there had been an expansive section of studio photos, concept art, pitch meeting summaries/transcripts, interviews, a step-by-step on the making of a figure, etc., I think people would have been a lot happier. Instead we're getting what is really just a comic with some fairly weak bonus features tossed in the back. It's like buying a DVD and the only bonus features are "subtitles," "cast list," and "interactive menus," when the DVD was marketed as a behind-the-scenes look at producing a popular franchise that also included a short film.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby Sir Real » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Neptunebastard wrote:

I don't think it's nit-picking either...yes we pledged for action figures but we were advertised a book with cards and a table-top RPG element...it seems that was unceremoniously dropped without bothering to mention it and that bothers me...

The RPG was mentioned, on one half of one page. But nothing about trading cards at all.
Sir Real
Bronzesmith

Postby Izdawiz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:14 pm

Sir Real wrote:
Neptunebastard wrote:

The RPG was mentioned, on one half of one page. But nothing about trading cards at all.

Maybe the bio cards are the trading cards?
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby Sir Real » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Perhaps that content was to have been made into trading cards and they changed it for some reason. Those aren't actual cards though, of course. Like baseball cards, like the picture from the KS 1.0 page.

Maybe it's still coming. Would they be printed separately from the book, or as a page of the book? If separately, which, I think they would be of heavier stock, then maybe the cards are a separate "file" from this book PDF file, so as to be able to be printed separately. And may still be coming.

I think we need an explanation on this cards issue.
Sir Real
Bronzesmith

Postby Izdawiz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:20 pm

I liked the Art.

That horrible typo where Otho says "You're" instead of "your" because someone obviously didn't copy edit for correct grammar and word usage, killed me though.

Take 30 minutes to show it to a copy editor (or just a smart nerd) so that the final product looks as professionally done as possible.
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby Sir Real » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:25 pm

I know they had issues with the inking, so was it not really inked well? The shading was lacking, and I found it hard to understand the images, with everything blending together alot. Not much separation, with nothing really standing out often. I did like most of the art though. That first page cover could -really- have used some hard outer lines though, like page 19 of the PDF had.

I will probably like it somewhat when/if I get the printed copy. Do we know if it's an actual hardback (can't bend the covers), or more like a comic trade paperback, with just a thicker but still bendable cover?
Last edited by Sir Real on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Real
Bronzesmith

Postby domu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:26 pm

Izdawiz wrote:That horrible typo where Otho says "You're" instead of "your" because someone obviously didn't copy edit for correct grammar and word usage, killed me though.

Take 30 minutes to show it to a copy editor (or just a smart nerd) so that the final product looks as professionally done as possible.

That sort of thing kills me. We all make mistakes. Have someone look it over with a fresh set of eyes to catch those mistakes. Be professional.
domu
Bronze Apprentice

Postby Jeremy Girard » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:29 pm

On the pages for "Illythia's Brood", they say "the Flock are a rightfully-feared collection of horrors". I think they meant "the Brood". The Flock is what they call one of the good factions.

Also on that same page, for the Blood Armor, they added a "V" in front of Illithya's name.

Those two just both happened to jump out at me.
Check all of my Mythic Legions customs at www.pumpkin-king.com/mythic
Jeremy Girard
Apprentice

Postby Izdawiz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Sir Real wrote:I know they had issues with the inking, so was it not really inked well? The shading was lacking, and I found it hard to understand the images, with everything blending together alot. Not much separation, with nothing really standing out often. I did like most of the art though. That first page cover could -really- have used some hard outer lines though, like page 19 of the PDF had.

I will probably like it somewhat when/if I get the printed copy. Do we know if it's an actual hardback (can't bend the covers), or more like a comic trade paperback, with just a thicker but still bendable cover?

The pencils were really good.
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby Izdawiz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:32 pm

Jeremy Girard wrote:On the pages for "Illythia's Brood", they say "the Flock are a rightfully-feared collection of horrors". I think they meant "the Brood". The Flock is what they call one of the good factions.

Also on that same page, for the Blood Armor, they added a "V" in front of Illithya's name.

Those two just both happened to jump out at me.

I'm guessing KRCO was working on this up to the last moment so the Four Horsemen didn't even get a chance to see the Final product.

Someone tell Jesse to change these mistakes before it goes to print.
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

PreviousNext

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive