The next ogre scale figure confirmed?

Re: The next ogre scale figure confirmed?

Postby zombihamma » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:52 am

Eric confirmed on face book that if/when this figure is made it will be made on the large scale body
zombihamma
Bronze Grunt

Postby Ziero01 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:46 pm

I actually really like the design for Arethyr and price permitting would love to grab him and the Orc Ogre up when they come out. That said, my disappointment with Arethyr doesn't come from the figure itself, but the fact he's just another demon. We already have Poxxus to fill the role of Demon super boss, I always felt Arethyr could've been something far more unique if he ended up being the "3 foot dragon" the 4H keep saying they want to make. I mean, the big boss for the main villain's faction being a demon is kind of cliche, but having your boss be a huge honkin dragon isn't all too common in fiction.
Ziero01
Platinum Grunt

Postby boogieman4hire » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:55 am

Ziero01 wrote:I actually really like the design for Arethyr and price permitting would love to grab him and the Orc Ogre up when they come out. That said, my disappointment with Arethyr doesn't come from the figure itself, but the fact he's just another demon. We already have Poxxus to fill the role of Demon super boss, I always felt Arethyr could've been something far more unique if he ended up being the "3 foot dragon" the 4H keep saying they want to make. I mean, the big boss for the main villain's faction being a demon is kind of cliche, but having your boss be a huge honkin dragon isn't all too common in fiction.

Actually Poxxus was a sorcerer. Not a demon. He conjured up a demon but there was a fluke and the demon split into Azhar and Zhazar.
boogieman4hire
Platinum Grunt

Postby Dayraven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:00 pm

i don't come on here near as often as i should anymore, but i flipped around here this morning, and something haunted me... in an above post, ziero01 made a statement about Arethyr being "just another demon." now, i'm not calling him out, i'm not attacking him, but if i may beseech an indulgence, i'd like to make the case that no demon should ever be seen as "just another demon,"

and this may end up containing some material that some might find offensive vis a vis their religious beliefs, so if you're one of those folks, stop now, pretend this post doesn't exist. no harm no foul. :D duly warned, onto the word horde!

first off, if your concept of demons is as portrayed in the bible, well, there's more to infer than to directly reference, but yeah, those are kind of boring. they aren't given much text in the canonical books, and they generally like invading people and making them drool and spit at people... BORING!!!

but let's dive just a second into the ideas there, before unpacking a far more creative take on the notion... if you look at angels as the delivery system of the will of God, what does it take to turn away from that? you've, in theory, looked upon the face of God, you've heard His voice, and you've carried His will into the human realm and into every corner of creation. You're the spring that winds the hands of the watch, or a crystal face of the watch forged by the intent of the great maker... and you've said "nah, I can do better on my own." a life of servitude was unsatisfying. You've sat in the celestial orchestra, and you've obeyed your conductor, but you can't help but feel it's time for a solo! You're really, really good at playing your instrument, and you just want a chance to shine at the lead of the orchestra, is that too much to ask? So you break ranks. You venture out to try to solo, knowing full well that in leaving the orchestra, you can never come back. Your divinity, your incorruptibility, your life, are forfeit in leaving, but that seemed a reasonable price to pay to star in your own show. why, oh why, is the limit of your ambitions making a mortal spit on someone or tell them their mother sucks cocks in hell?

but let's dump that stuff, let's dump the entire religious tradition of demons, at least canonical tradition, and instead look at what a demon is designed to do... they're a narrative tool right? They are a principle of evil, given anthropomorphized form to make it easy to explain an abstract idea. What they represent is evil, corruption, the vices of sin, the things we ought, as decent people, to avoid. But why?

That's the first question your demon should ask? "Why have you been taught to fear me, why should you stay away from me, I'm here to fulfill wishes, to grant desires. All those other guys offer you is No, no you can't have what you want, no you can't do what you want, no, no, no. I'm the principal of yes. Nothing is easy, and nothing is free, but why can't you have what you want? If your will sets you on a path, why can't you walk that path, isn't that what sentience is for? Isn't morality a word we make up and invoke when someone makes a decision we don't like, without regard for what they wanted? Why is one person's will more important than another?" See what we're doing here? A proper demon should be the voice of yes, the ASMR whisper in your ear offering you that thing you desire but can't take, the action you intend, but lack the courage to fulfill, to take the stand you're too cowardly to take.

If done correctly, a demon's appearance should reflect their values. Each one should be a string of instruments to help them deliver on the wishes of the mortals they hunt. If your demon hunts sex fiends, they look like Barker's Cenobites or fetish object of one kind or another. If they target the gluttonous, they should look comforting and inviting, disarming and coddling. If they target the vain, they may come bearing a golden guitar, etc... in this case, Arethyr's aesthetic pulls from the fact that he's catering to the violent. His horns and face plate are a tool to intimidate. They look hard and armored, impenetrable to the weapons of mere mortals. They're likely made of souls, people he has culled over the millennia to make himself stronger and more frightening, so if they bare humans traits, that's within the principles he represents. As in, maybe the horns aren't just decorative...

To which, in context to this hobby/toyline, i offer you a little fanfiction:

Arethyr strode confidently over the field of the dead and dying. Eathyron had retreated already, leaving the broken remnants of his army to feed the rooks. But today, he was here for one soul in particular... and there, amidst the broken, was Gorgo Heavensbrand, the very man he had come for.
Arethyr: Why have you come to me mortal? You're body is broken, you're more than half dead, what use are you to one such as I? If I had want of what you offer, what could you possibly deny me?
Gorgo: I... did not summon you monster... kill me already... end m..my pain...
Arethyr: Foolish manthing. I heard your call from the next dimension. I heard your whispers in the night, your true prayers, spoken only when you knew he couldn't see you. You've begged me, night after night, for power. You've envied Eathyron from the shadows, begged me for a fraction of his might, a taste of his speed... the chorus of voices raised in his praise. You have lusted for it. I have traveled across cosmic oceans, left the comfortable bosom of the abyss, to offer you what you want, to make of you the man you wish to be, and I arrive to find you pitiful and weak. Have I wasted my time?
Gorgo: No... you have not. I can heal, I can grow strong again. I must have what he has. It's all I've craved since the first day I lay eyes upon his shining helm, bifurcating a beam of honeyed sunlight that anointed him. I want to be like that, strong, fast... adored. I am worthy, please... *cough, cough HACK!* I am not done! I must... I must... get stronger.
Arethyr: Well, I have a sword that may help you. She's a delicate thing, very old, with a deep magic set within her. For every life she takes, she drinks a sip of that soul, and passes along some to the one who wields her. Over time, you will grow strong on those souls, slowly, to be sure, but your flesh will become divine like Eathyron's. You will have strength like his, you will possess speed like his, and over time, as news of your deeds spreads, you will be adored like he is. Surely though, in your state, you are too weak to make this lengthy journey.
Gorgo: NO DEMON! I am *couch* I am not yet too weak. You will see! If you grant me this, I shall do great things, I will be adored by the people as he is! Please!
Arethryr: Ah, but the sword, she is clumsy and heavy. Too unwieldy for the average swordsman.
Gorgo: I will study and become versed in techniques that use her power and compensate for her speed! I will grow stronger to lift her!
Arethyr: No, she is of low quality and her edge is easily dulled.
Gorgo: I will sharpen her daily lord, please!
Arethryr: She takes rust easily...
Gorgo: Please my Lord, grant me this blade and I will polish her after every use!
Arethryr: The souls she drinks make her somewhat divine as well. She seeks relationships, craves attention like a person would.
Gorgo: I will do anything Lord, sleep with her nightly as a wife if I must! Please, grant me this boon, I will devote myself to her!
Arethyr: To ME!!
Gorgo: Yes, my lord, I will serve you faithfully! Grant me my heart's desire, and my every act of glory will be a testimony to your generosity and foresight! Please, grant me this blade!
Arethyr lifted the mortal to look him in the face. The horns on his face writhed as they sniffed at the mortal, inspecting his soul. He would need some healing, to be stitched back to functionality by the necrosugeons, before he would be capable of anything. But the lust in his heart, the envy, was a molten pool of might that Arethyr intended to bend to his will. His face plate steamed in joy. Eathyron sent more than half his army to him, and he chuckled the sound of gravel on ice at finding this diamond in the rough amongst the flotsam and jetsum. Jealousy was the easiest path to lure in mortals, and no one made them more jealous than Eathyron on the wing. Arethyr turned and gestured to Poxxus to carry this broken mortal to his surgical team. They had work to do before this mortal could carry the Aethyrblade. And he had such things to whisper to that soul while he gestated in the Abyss.

I hope that helps make the case that, if backed up with a little narrative thought and consideration, a demon character SHOULD be a glorious color on the creative palette. if they are made mundane, it's only due to lack of vision. there's a ton of demon fantasy media out there that gives you a diverse and intriguing set of archetypes to draw on to keep your demons fascinating and diverse.
Dayraven
Bronze Grunt

Postby you_will_forget » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:00 pm

I've missed you.

Jo
My daughter starts school on the 3rd of September - I'm pretty sure we only had her a month or two ago
you_will_forget
Silver Grunt

Postby boogieman4hire » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:55 pm

Fantastic.
boogieman4hire
Platinum Grunt

Postby twehner31 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Ziero01 wrote:... I mean, the big boss for the main villain's faction being a demon is kind of cliche, but having your boss be a huge honkin dragon isn't all too common in fiction.

So long as the 4H get around to producing that huge, honikin' dragon, fans can always choose to place it as the main villain of each our individual Mythos'.

Isn't that one of the great reasons to love this line, after all?
twehner31
Bronze Grunt

Previous

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive