Mythic Legions: Soul Spiller

Re: Mythic Legions: Soul Spiller

Postby worldwar_hulk » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Got my batch of Soul Spiller in 2 days ago. Pretty awesome stuff here. I try to focus on all the positive and keep looking at how amazing these figures are as a whole. But it's kind of difficult not to dwell on the negatives. But I'll get into that later.

Link to full size image in case pics aren't displaying correctly here: https://i.ibb.co/4fPfCsh/20190615-130913.jpg

Did anyone get this issue with their Malynna figure? Mine has shins that belong to 2 different figures. Worst part is, 1 is shorter than the other, so she stands lopsided. At first I thought it was like, 2 Left shins or something. But it's not. It's 2 different lower legs.

I have to unplug her ankle and extend it out a bit just to make up for how short the shin is. Otherwise she basically can't stand up at all.

worldwar_hulk
Silver Grunt

Postby Satam » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:47 pm

I feel like the QC has really taken a dive since the first wave. That is just f___ed right there. She should absolutely have matching greaves. Have you contacted CS about that?
Satam
Bronze Grunt

Postby Ziero01 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:27 pm

worldwar_hulk wrote:Did anyone get this issue with their Malynna figure? Mine has shins that belong to 2 different figures. Worst part is, 1 is shorter than the other, so she stands lopsided. At first I thought it was like, 2 Left shins or something. But it's not. It's 2 different lower legs.

It actually IS two left shins, it's just that one of em is from a Goblin. Which makes even less sense considering this wave didn't have any goblins. That really sucks, but I'm sure the 4H will hook you up.

I finally got my three figures in, but I've only managed to open one so far. That being the Ice Elf. Her joints are much softer then the initial AoD figures, and all of them move much easier, but I'm worried this will lead to a floppy figure with some minimal handling. Other then that, she's overall a fantastic figure, though she could certainly have benefited from more detailed paint on her torso. She's not the best in the line, but between her new head, the fantastic bear pelt and interesting accessories, she gives me a lot to work with to make her a much better figure.
Ziero01
Platinum Grunt

Postby worldwar_hulk » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:13 am

Ziero01 wrote:It actually IS two left shins, it's just that one of em is from a Goblin. Which makes even less sense considering this wave didn't have any goblins. That really sucks, but I'm sure the 4H will hook you up.

I finally got my three figures in, but I've only managed to open one so far. That being the Ice Elf. Her joints are much softer then the initial AoD figures, and all of them move much easier, but I'm worried this will lead to a floppy figure with some minimal handling. Other then that, she's overall a fantastic figure, though she could certainly have benefited from more detailed paint on her torso. She's not the best in the line, but between her new head, the fantastic bear pelt and interesting accessories, she gives me a lot to work with to make her a much better figure.
Yeah I'd realized that it was in fact another left shin, but from a different figure too. Once I'd noticed the little outer fin thing, being on the inside, it was pretty clear.

I will say though that the Horsemen did clear some things up with this new wave. Whether it was intentional or not I do not know.
-But all of the ankles moved much more smooth this time. Not one was frozen on me this time.
-All of the shoulder pads popped in nice & easy. Didn't feel like I needed to force any of them in.
-None of the head/neck sockets felt like I was going to rip anything apart trying to take the heads off.
worldwar_hulk
Silver Grunt

Postby jscott991 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:32 pm

I got my small order today.

Thallyn is unbelievably gorgeous. I haven't opened any of my three yet, but the colors are amazing, as is the paint on the face. I have no idea why Super7's faces always turn out like garbage when 4H's factory can do this (and Delphina and Gwen, etc.).

The Shadow Elf Ranger also really pops in hand.
jscott991
Silver Grunt

Postby Cythagen » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:23 pm

worldwar_hulk wrote:I will say though that the Horsemen did clear some things up with this new wave. Whether it was intentional or not I do not know.
-But all of the ankles moved much more smooth this time. Not one was frozen on me this time.
-All of the shoulder pads popped in nice & easy. Didn't feel like I needed to force any of them in.
-None of the head/neck sockets felt like I was going to rip anything apart trying to take the heads off.

I noticed the smoother joints, too. Another change - present on Thallyn, Ragna, and Malynna - is that substantial parts of the figures are being cast in plastic the colour they're intended to be, rather than white plastic that's painted over. I'm sure some people will decry this as a sign that quality is decreasing, but I for one am thrilled that I don't have to worry about the high visibility of bright white scratches and scrapes if one of these ladies should take a tumble off a shelf or table.
Cythagen
Bronze Grunt

Postby worldwar_hulk » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:21 pm

Cythagen wrote:I noticed the smoother joints, too. Another change - present on Thallyn, Ragna, and Malynna - is that substantial parts of the figures are being cast in plastic the colour they're intended to be, rather than white plastic that's painted over. I'm sure some people will decry this as a sign that quality is decreasing, but I for one am thrilled that I don't have to worry about the high visibility of bright white scratches and scrapes if one of these ladies should take a tumble off a shelf or table.
Why in the world would anyone ever consider this a decrease in quality? If anything it's what most toy makers do. I've always been appalled that the Horsemen have been using all white plastic lately, and just painting over it. Just like you said, when it scratches it shows a glaring white from underneath. If parts were casted in their predominant color and then painted over, these scratches wouldn't be so devastating. And man do these figures scratch paint off easily.

That's my #1 nitpick about this line. Well, scratching off paint & white plastic go hand in hand.

Followed immediately by lack of double jointed knees & elbows.
worldwar_hulk
Silver Grunt

Postby Ziero01 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:44 pm

I'll be honest, if I had the choice between pop-and-swap limbs or double hinged articulation....I'd probably always stick with the pop-and-swap choice. Double hinge always looks a bit wonky, and a single joint can work just fine if given enough clearance.
Ziero01
Platinum Grunt

Postby Ideal » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Ziero01 wrote:I'll be honest, if I had the choice between pop-and-swap limbs or double hinged articulation....I'd probably always stick with the pop-and-swap choice. Double hinge always looks a bit wonky, and a single joint can work just fine if given enough clearance.

Honestly, the ability to swap limbs is such a low priority for me that I often forget it's possible, and in fact, on more than one occasion, those swappable limbs have been more of a hindrance than a benefit.

I'd really rather not have it.
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:15 am

I really hate the look of double jointed elbows and knees. I guess I care more about form over function.
Darren
Platinum Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:05 am

It depends on how they're executed. I have Japanese figures that blend the joints into the body really well, and they'd honestly probably look awkward with single jointed knees and elbows. But I've also seen some from less skilled toy makers that aren't as well integrated. On the flip side, I've seen plenty of examples of figures that make even single hinged elbows and knees look hideous.

I have faith that the 4H are skilled enough at their craft to include double joints.

The Mythic Legions have the added advantage of many of their characters wearing armor, so it would be even easier to add those extra joints in and blend them into the design.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:50 am

Darren wrote:I got my tracking numbers last night. It's kinda weird. I placed one order for two figures. Each figure was shipped in a separate box. That doesn't seem very cost effective.

I think that this will be the last time that I use USPS. One of the boxes was delivered yesterday. The 2nd box is "In Transit, Arriving Late". The USPS's tracking history is a joke. They do not update the history until the box has been delivered. What's the point of having this feature if you will not document the progress of the shipment? FedEx and UPS scan the box at every step.
Darren
Platinum Grunt

Postby Ideal » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:32 am

Darren wrote:
I think that this will be the last time that I use USPS. One of the boxes was delivered yesterday. The 2nd box is "In Transit, Arriving Late". The USPS's tracking history is a joke. They do not update the history until the box has been delivered. What's the point of having this feature if you will not document the progress of the shipment? FedEx and UPS scan the box at every step.

I have a non-4H related package I'm waiting on from USPS that I'm currently having a hard time with. It showed processing through the regional hub. Showed arriving at my local post office and pending acceptance over the weekend. Now as of this morning it shows arriving in a completely different state.

USPS seems to be steadily taking over for the worst shipping experience I've had.
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby you_will_forget » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:57 pm

Unfortunately I was correct.

I've been charged £48 in customs for one parcel and £36 for the other, basically enough so that I could have bought a second troll. For context, my all-in (plus extras) for the AoD kickstarter came in two boxes and I was charged £36 per box, so it has cost me significantly more in customs to get this small wave.

What's even more annoying is that smaller charge was completely unnecessary as there was plenty of space in the larger box (it had the troll, then a smaller box inside with the rest of the wave) to fit those extra three figures in. Again, for context, this was all one order, not two separate ones that I hoped they'd combine.

Jo
Not coping well, broke and sliding back into the pit
My daughter has renamed my last two trolls as "Bronty" and "Blue Sky"
you_will_forget
Silver Grunt

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:36 pm

you_will_forget wrote:Unfortunately I was correct.

I've been charged £48 in customs for one parcel and £36 for the other, basically enough so that I could have bought a second troll. For context, my all-in (plus extras) for the AoD kickstarter came in two boxes and I was charged £36 per box, so it has cost me significantly more in customs to get this small wave.

What's even more annoying is that smaller charge was completely unnecessary as there was plenty of space in the larger box (it had the troll, then a smaller box inside with the rest of the wave) to fit those extra three figures in. Again, for context, this was all one order, not two separate ones that I hoped they'd combine.

Jo
Not coping well, broke and sliding back into the pit

Wow. That's expensive. I wonder if the Horsemen are afraid to over pack a box?
Darren
Platinum Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive