Mythic Legions 2.0 Advent of Decay In Hand Pics!

Re: Mythic Legions 2.0 Advent of Decay In Hand Pics!

Postby koonfasa » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:03 am

Still haven’t cracked open the goblins yet...

ship1-3=$22.25;4=$33.25;5-6=$53.25;7-8=$64.70...
koonfasa
Golden Grunt

Postby xequae » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:28 am

koonfasa wrote:Image

She looks great with those wings.

The goblins are a lot of fun.
xequae
Silver Grunt

Postby BAT » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 am

Anyone have a goblin builder with two right feet? Mine has two left feet and I'd love to trade a left for a right.
BAT
Bronze Grunt

Postby Opticon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Love these little dudes.

Opticon
Standard Grunt

Postby domu » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:58 am

Great pics, everyone!
Koonfasa, yours are some of my favorites.
Buying Test Shots. Looking for any, but will pay very well for these:
B'alam & Snagg

domu
Bronze Apprentice

Postby xequae » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Vampires:

ImageVampires01 by Michael McDonald, on Flickr

These figures all look so great. Four Horsemen really did an amazing job on all of these figures.

Definitely picking up a few more of the Vampire Legion Builder. Also going to pick up an extra one to use with the extra Dark Elf head I have.
xequae
Silver Grunt

Postby Ziero01 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Just dropping two quick pics of things I discovered while messing with these figures.

First off, is that they can hold the crossbow absurdly well. I wasn't expecting them to be able to take a convincing firing stance with the crossbow, but the articulation on the 2.0 figures is amazing. While the joint structure is mostly the same, the changes in the sculpt allow a lot more range of motion and it's an immense help to these figures.

Second, and this was something I discovered from 4chan of all places, was that Mandibulus actually has a hinged jaw. I don't recall any mention or confirmation of this feature at any point prior to release, not even after the Test Shots landed. Maybe I missed it and it's common knowledge, but this small detail made him jump to being my favorite skeleton figure of the line.

Sadly, I haven't had too much time to mess with these guys, and I still have a pile of em still in their package who I most likely won't be able to get to until after xmas. Still, I can't wait to see what other little surprises await with these fantastic figures.
Ziero01
Platinum Grunt

Postby NorthCoast » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:07 pm

Garnik wrote:
Ziero01 wrote:I was one of those sales, and I'll admit it was kind of disappointing. It's not your fault though, it just needs a bit more tweaking to work out properly. Don't be afraid to make the sprue itself squared off and slightly thicker, as that seems to work for other things I've bought off shapeways. I'll definitely be in again for two sets when you get everything sorted! :D

I felt pretty badly when I got the notice - so, yeah - disappointing indeed. I'm glad Shapeways sorted you guys out though. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't really considered the manufacturing side of things like this so at least it's been a learning experience. I appreciate the support and patience. And the input is always welcome - thanks for that too Zombie :) .

https://www.shapeways.com/product/PFP8E ... d=73918157

Ok, finally got back around to ordering, looking forward to getting these and swapping the old handles out! Thanks for putting in the effort, I appreciate it!
NorthCoast
Apprentice

Postby Garnik » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:44 pm

NorthCoast wrote:Ok, finally got back around to ordering, looking forward to getting these and swapping the old handles out! Thanks for putting in the effort, I appreciate it!

I just finished painting up my first batch and they work well - I'll have pics of these and a few of my shields up over the next few days in the Custom thread. Thanks again for stopping by the shop NorthCoast - apologies for the hiccup with the first model - and I hope you enjoy your new grips!
Garnik
Bronze Grunt

Postby NorthCoast » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:45 pm

Garnik wrote:
NorthCoast wrote:Ok, finally got back around to ordering, looking forward to getting these and swapping the old handles out! Thanks for putting in the effort, I appreciate it!

I just finished painting up my first batch and they work well - I'll have pics of these and a few of my shields up over the next few days in the Custom thread. Thanks again for stopping by the shop NorthCoast - apologies for the hiccup with the first model - and I hope you enjoy your new grips!

No problem and I’m sure I will enjoy them. Any painting tips you’d like to share?
NorthCoast
Apprentice

Postby Garnik » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:38 pm

NorthCoast wrote:No problem and I’m sure I will enjoy them. Any painting tips you’d like to share?

I'm thinking someone like Zombie, who has a lot of experience painting, would have the best advice... but in my experience painting the Versatile Flexible Plastics: be prepared for multiple coats. It's really thirsty and porous plastic. If you want a surface that will pop you'll need to sand and probably clear coat when you're done. Since these are grips and don't need to look pristine I've been laying down 2 - 3 coats of grey acrylic paint with a layer of brown for the grip proper. Looks good with that.
For the smooth detailed plastic I've had mixed results in the past with primers and multiple coats. But I've solved that this latest go 'round: I primed with one coat of cheap black acrylic. It was kind of thick but it gave uniform coverage and only needed one coat. After that I've been adding my greys and metallic coats. It might take 2 coats to get the desired affect but with the black base an incomplete coat just looks like a distressed dry brush treatment. 2 coats is still fewer than you would need without the black prime. It took 3 - 4 coats to paint silver swords starting with the naked plastic. I'm still playing with it... going to try adding some panel lining detail to the wood grain on my Son's shield tonight.
Garnik
Bronze Grunt

Postby NorthCoast » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Garnik wrote:
NorthCoast wrote:No problem and I’m sure I will enjoy them. Any painting tips you’d like to share?

I'm thinking someone like Zombie, who has a lot of experience painting, would have the best advice... but in my experience painting the Versatile Flexible Plastics: be prepared for multiple coats. It's really thirsty and porous plastic. If you want a surface that will pop you'll need to sand and probably clear coat when you're done. Since these are grips and don't need to look pristine I've been laying down 2 - 3 coats of grey acrylic paint with a layer of brown for the grip proper. Looks good with that.
For the smooth detailed plastic I've had mixed results in the past with primers and multiple coats. But I've solved that this latest go 'round: I primed with one coat of cheap black acrylic. It was kind of thick but it gave uniform coverage and only needed one coat. After that I've been adding my greys and metallic coats. It might take 2 coats to get the desired affect but with the black base an incomplete coat just looks like a distressed dry brush treatment. 2 coats is still fewer than you would need without the black prime. It took 3 - 4 coats to paint silver swords starting with the naked plastic. I'm still playing with it... going to try adding some panel lining detail to the wood grain on my Son's shield tonight.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I have a few acrylics and some metallics I was going to try, I want to experiment a bit and make sure I have good adhesion so the paint doesn’t come off on the hands. I suppose if I let it dry throughly it should be ok, especially if the plastic is porous.
NorthCoast
Apprentice

Postby Garnik » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:14 pm

Just a quick edit: I know for a fact Zombie has experience painting 3D prints from Shapeways and he'd have more experience than I on that but Naja and/or Jeremy would be my next go to painters for tips. I'd apprentice with either of them if apprenticing was still a generally accepted employment choice :D
Garnik
Bronze Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Garnik wrote:

These are good tips from Garnik. Every person paints differently and with different paints. I use mostly Testors Model Masters Acrylics. I don't use primer on the Versatile Flexible Plastics. Always order white in the Versatile Flexible Plastics, it keeps detail better than the colored prints and the white soaks up the paint just like Garnik mentioned. That works in your favor because the plastic tends to take on the color of the paint itself. Multiple coats are key here. You don't want the paint too thick, thinner is better here. It might take longer, but it will be worth it in the end. And let your painted pieces "cure" for at least 24 hours. This will let the paint fully dry and become part of the plastics so there is less paint rub or chipping. There may always be some chipping or paint rub, but that's with anything that has been painted, even factory painted pieces. If you get something printed in the Frosted or transparent plastics/acrylics, you'll want to give the prints a good scrub with a toothbrush and some Dawn dish soap. I find that Dawn works best for removing the oily residue left behind by the printing process. If it's good enough to remove the oil from animals affected by oils spills and not kill them, it's good enough for toys. Painting these prints is a little more of a challenge than the Versatile plastics in that it takes more coats to get a uniform looking coverage. Remember, the more thin coats, the better. Depending on the type of paint you use on the Frosted or Transparent prints, you may want to use a sealer after you're finished painting. This will help prevent paint chipping or being scratched off as these prints do not soak in the paint like the Versatile plastic does. Use good quality paints and brushes, don't use the cheap stuff. You can get some Testors Model Master Acrylics at Hobby Lobby with their 40% coupons as well as some great paint brushes. If you have a Michaels Crafts in your area and sign up for emails they send 50% off coupons sometimes and brushes can be bought there too. Just be sure to use Acrylic Paints, I gave not used Enamel on them but I can tell you Enamel does not work on softer type plastics. There are lots of places to order online for paints as well. Just experiment with junk pieces before painting your figures or prints if you're worried about messing something up.
Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
Follow me on Instagram at zombie13.customs
zombie13
Smith

Postby NorthCoast » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 pm

Garnik wrote:

Just a quick edit: I know for a fact Zombie has experience painting 3D prints from Shapeways and he'd have more experience than I on that but Naja and/or Jeremy would be my next go to painters for tips. I'd apprentice with either of them if apprenticing was still a generally accepted employment choice :D

Just got the shield handles in today and I gotta say, Garnik, you're a genius! These things are perfect!

I just finished cutting the sprues and added a layer of black acrylic to prime them. Thanks everyone for the paint tips and I found one myself. If you cut one cotton end off a q-tip, it fits perfectly in the hole and makes an ideal holder when painting these shield handles. Then you can really paint the whole thing quickly. I did notice that placing them on the shield must widen the hole ever so slightly, because the one I had tested on a shield was a tiny bit looser on the q-tip when painting. I'd recommend painting these as soon as you get them.

I might do a couple different colors for the final paints depending what shields I use these on, or I may get lazy and leave them black. We'll see. :D

Thanks again, I'm very thrilled with these and will buy more!
NorthCoast
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive