Our old friend & OG 4H boardie ebonhorn has passed away

Re: Our old friend & OG 4H boardie ebonhorn is dying

Postby skeletom » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:23 pm

I'm rather new around here and never had any interactions with him but I am very sorry to hear about this.
skeletom
Bronze Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:44 am

Izdawiz wrote:I was just thinking about this as just a tribute rather than as a fundraiser or a charitable endeavor.

Does anyone know if his family actually needs money, or is that just assumed?

I'm not sure. Maybe moldie13 will have more info after his trip? Salem, can you keep us updated if you find out anything else?
Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
Follow me on Instagram at zombie13.customs
zombie13
Smith

Postby Izdawiz » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:11 am

zombie13 wrote:
Izdawiz wrote:I was just thinking about this as just a tribute rather than as a fundraiser or a charitable endeavor.

Does anyone know if his family actually needs money, or is that just assumed?

I'm not sure. Maybe moldie13 will have more info after his trip? Salem, can you keep us updated if you find out anything else?

He's asking for "something completely out of the blue, something unique, unexpected and silly. to show him he's made an impact, that he's moved us to come together on his behalf" which doesn't sound like Ebonhorn or his family are asking for or trying to raise money.

That's why I think trying to think of a tribute of some sort (like a figure in his honor) would be more appropriate than trying to cobble together some sort of fundraiser that Ebon didn't ask for and he may not even need.
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby SalemCrow » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:44 am

From moldie last night.
If someone can tell the 4H gang that I’ll talk to his brother about how folks can help with his service or outstanding medical bills. We haven’t talked about that yet...
SalemCrow
Silver Grunt

Postby Sector1014 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm loving all these ideas. Would be great if something got put together fast enough that he was able to see it.
Sector1014
Bronze Grunt

Postby Izdawiz » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:01 pm

SalemCrow wrote:From moldie last night.
If someone can tell the 4H gang that I’ll talk to his brother about how folks can help with his service or outstanding medical bills. We haven’t talked about that yet...

Here's my personal take on medical bills and funeral industry.

We have created a system where the two of the most exploitative industries in the country are the medical industry and the funeral industry.

First we have a country where hospitals charge exorbitant amounts for medical care. Where $50 bandaids and $25 Q-tips are not uncommon. Where very few people can afford the massive sums they charge and the Government actively tries to strip people of their healthcare even though healthcare should be a basic human right. The whole insurance industry is designed to make as much money as possible and to let as many people die without having to pay out anything, while for-profit Hospitals seek to milk the system and suck every bit of profit out of sick people that they can.

Then if you die and you happen to have a little bit of money, funeral homes get you when your family is most vulnerable and grieving and charge you up the wazoo for everything they can. They find out how much money you have to spend and then they suck every bit out of you that they can. The family of a relative of mine who died a few years back ended up with grave, burial and funeral costs well in excess of $100,000.

Pardon my french but Fuck Medical Bills and Fuck Funeral Bills. The only way you can win (unless you are wealthy) is to go bankrupt so you don't have to pay your medical bills or die before they are able to shake every last cent out of your pockets. Ebon is in hospice, which means that the medical industry has decided that there is nothing more they can do for him as far as treatment is concerned.

We have a system where the single largest provider of funds for these costs is now gofundme. I have donated toward many such costs, some for people I have never even met and don't even know. It should not be like this but it is. We need a system of universal healthcare just like every other major industrialized democracy in the world.

I would not recommend that we try to use the Four Horsemen to raise charitable funds. With all due respect, I don't know who Moldie is. He seems like a great person, but I don't know if it is a good idea to raise money so that he can go visit a dying man he doesn't seem to know that well.

As far as I can tell Ebon's family has not asked for money and if they need to do that, gofundme is a hell of a lot better way to do that than trying to try and create a tribute figure so that the proceeds can go to medical bills or funeral costs.

Sorry about all that, but having interacted with Ebon online for years, I think that a tribute to him would be the best way to approach this. And if his brother or some other family member wants to start a gofundme I would be more than happy to contribute but I'd rather they take that money and have a party in Ebon's honor than use it to pay medical bills that he won't be on the hook for anyway once he passes away.

:(
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby SalemCrow » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:42 pm

I agree completely about both industries.

My wife works for a non profit that accepts body donations for science, and the funeral home 'fees' that some of them tack on for the simplest things should be criminal.

In most cases, you dying just means they come after your family for the money you owe, UNLESS you have anything of monetary value in just your name that they can try to claim.

I agree that IF his brother and family could use some support, a gofundme would be the best way to do that.

Leave any potential figure as a tribute to Cade and his fandom/participation in this community for all those years, and all the lives he touched while here.
SalemCrow
Silver Grunt

Postby SalemCrow » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Just as I was posting here, moldie posted that he was waiting at a nearby beach by Cade's house before he met up with him and his brother at 4:30 local time, when emergency vehicles went down his street.

Cade has passed on to the other side.

Rest easy, man.

---------------------------------------------------

I suggested the gofundme idea when he has to chance to actually talk with his family.
SalemCrow
Silver Grunt

Postby Izdawiz » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:03 pm

SalemCrow wrote:Just as I was posting here, moldie posted that he was waiting at a nearby beach by Cade's house before he met up with him and his brother at 4:30 local time, when emergency vehicles went down his street.

Cade has passed on to the other side.

Damn!!! :( :shock: :(

Reading this felt like a punch in the gut, even though it was completely expected... :cry:
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby Izdawiz » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:18 pm

SalemCrow wrote:
In most cases, you dying just means they come after your family for the money you owe, UNLESS you have anything of monetary value in just your name that they can try to claim.

Ebon was a relatively young, unmarried guy,right? So thankfully his family probably won't be on the hook for medical costs. :?

And no matter how much money you owe, they can't take your assets if you convert them into action figures and then have someone donate them to the local Goodwill or Salvation army after you're gone.

Then think of all the joy they'll bring to any kids lucky enough to find them.

When I go, hopefully I'll have spent all my money on a bunch of stuff that brought me and my family joy. And just for fun, when I go, I hope I have unpaid parking tickets and moving violations and owe a bunch of money to the IRS, that the IRS can never get back. :)
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Postby Izdawiz » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Sir Ebon of Cador was a gentle soul who fought bravely and was loved by all. When the end came, his soul ascended to Cador, a land in the afterlife where only the most heroic and virtuous warriors go. It is said that whenever a warrior falls bravely in battle, a horn will sound in Cador and Sir Ebon will be here to welcome them. Together they walk across green Elysium fields toward a Great Hall where they can embrace the comrades who fell before them and feast on exquisite food and fine wine.
Izdawiz
Bronzesmith

Re: Our old friend & OG 4H boardie ebonhorn has passed away

Postby Sector1014 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Man, this sucks.

I love the idea of a Sir Ebon tribute, or something like it. Some sort of tribute that matches the kinds of things he liked.
Sector1014
Bronze Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:43 pm

I agree on all points you made Iz. I work at a Not for Profit Hospital. I see shady things there even. At least I feel they are shady. Even I have more medical bills than I can pay. Health care in this country is down right criminal. I've lost a lot of family and friends due to mishandled medical care or the lack there of. As far as I'm concerned, when I die, they can dig a hole in the back yard and just throw me in it. I don't really care. It's very sad that Ebon went so quickly at such a young age. I hope that wherever he is now that he is at peace. Long Live Ebonhorn!
Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
Follow me on Instagram at zombie13.customs
zombie13
Smith

Postby you_will_forget » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:22 pm

I didn't overly know the guy, but I remember the screenname from the old boards. I was in a bad place mentally and didn't really participate, but I was around. He seemed like a good guy, especially reading what people have put up here.

Jo
who only has empty words
My daughter has renamed my last two trolls as "Bronty" and "Blue Sky"
you_will_forget
Silver Grunt

Postby boogieman4hire » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:13 pm

This is terrible and heart wrenching and frustrating news. My thoughts go out to this man.
boogieman4hire
Platinum Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive