Siege at Bjorngar Pre-Order

Re: Siege at Bjorngar Pre-Order

Postby domu » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:49 am

DennyCrane wrote:That plus I really feel it's flirting with an abuse of the Kickstarter system to begin with. The Horsemen have been in the business for how long now? This isn't some unknown entity trying to make a name for itself. It's like U2 playing a coffee house.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Can you clarify?
Has Kickstarter started complaining about campaign creators using their platform repeatedly?
Buying Test Shots. Looking for: Bolthor, Kkurzog, B'alam & Snagg
domu
Bronze Apprentice

Postby JamesLynch » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:07 pm

DennyCrane wrote:I won't disagree there. Guess I'm just getting tired of spending hundreds or thousands up front and/or receiving 30+ figures at a time. I mean sure it's cool in a Christmas Day/candy store way. But it can get flippin annoying too (especially when you're packing and realize just how much crap you already have!) ^-^

I was moving just as the second Kickstarted figures shipped out. They're all still sitting in the shipping box, untouched, until I can get all my shelving squared away.

domu wrote:
DennyCrane wrote:That plus I really feel it's flirting with an abuse of the Kickstarter system to begin with. The Horsemen have been in the business for how long now? This isn't some unknown entity trying to make a name for itself. It's like U2 playing a coffee house.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Can you clarify?
Has Kickstarter started complaining about campaign creators using their platform repeatedly?

There is a line of thinking that established entities and larger companies shouldn't rely on Kickstarter to fund their projects, that they should be stable enough to afford the upfront costs for making their products. The thinking goes that Kickstarter should remain a platform to help small businesses and individuals get their start and not be a standard business model for a company. There was a bit of backlash when Archie Comics tried using the platform to fund a line of books, so much so that the campaign was canceled within a few days (the same does not seem to be trued for Dynamite Entertainment, who have funded several projects via Kickstarter, and are at least as established at this point as Archie, but I digress).

Companies like Boss Fight Studios used Kickstarter for their early projects, but have been self-sufficient through later releases, which were all just made on a standard pre-order system.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby domu » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:50 pm

JamesLynch wrote:There is a line of thinking that established entities and larger companies shouldn't rely on Kickstarter to fund their projects, that they should be stable enough to afford the upfront costs for making their products. The thinking goes that Kickstarter should remain a platform to help small businesses and individuals get their start and not be a standard business model for a company. There was a bit of backlash when Archie Comics tried using the platform to fund a line of books, so much so that the campaign was canceled within a few days (the same does not seem to be trued for Dynamite Entertainment, who have funded several projects via Kickstarter, and are at least as established at this point as Archie, but I digress).

Companies like Boss Fight Studios used Kickstarter for their early projects, but have been self-sufficient through later releases, which were all just made on a standard pre-order system.

It seems like the solution is already in full effect; if backers don't like it, they won't support the project. I haven't seen anything to suggest that Kickstarter cares one way or another, as long as they get paid. I can't see why it matters to the end consumer in any way.

Far from a digression, I think your Dynamite/Archie examples perfectly show how arbitrary it would be to make some blanket rules on what size or type of company can use Kickstarter, or how many times, or whatever (not that you were suggesting anything of the sort).

It feels like complaints on this topic are probably just misdirected grievances about some other aspect(s) of a given project.
Buying Test Shots. Looking for: Bolthor, Kkurzog, B'alam & Snagg
domu
Bronze Apprentice

Postby Ideal » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:03 pm

domu wrote:It feels like complaints on this topic are probably just misdirected grievances about some other aspect(s) of a given project.

ive actually seen some projects go back for a second round of funding on kickstarter as a supplement to the first round of funding, so it really does all come down to how the project itself is received and not necessarily perceived abuse of the kickstarter concept itself.

------------

I ended up going with 3 Faustia figures instead of the 4. I'll probably regret not getting the 4th, but I think its too late to worry about that now.
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby Ideal » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:31 pm

notification for the extension just came out. Jan 7 is the new cutoff.
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby Otter » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Good thing too, given how close this was to Christmas.
Otter
Golden Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:23 pm

I suppose I should have seen this coming, based on experience. I placed my order last night. If I'd known I'd have another week and a half, I'd have probably waited and ordered more.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby twehner31 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:05 pm

JamesLynch wrote:I suppose I should have seen this coming, based on experience. I placed my order last night. If I'd known I'd have another week and a half, I'd have probably waited and ordered more.

Yeah... have the 4H ever not extended one of their pre-orders?

I'm not complaining- the more figures pre-ordered in total, the better for both the 4H and all of us fans.

That said though, it would be nice if folks who have already pre-ordered could add to their existing order without incurring a separate & therefore pricey additional shipping charge.
twehner31
Bronze Grunt

Postby Ideal » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:32 am

JamesLynch wrote:I suppose I should have seen this coming, based on experience. I placed my order last night. If I'd known I'd have another week and a half, I'd have probably waited and ordered more.

id agree with that. I toiled over how many of Faustia to get that I ended up over thinking it right there at the last minute and didn't realize until after I placed my order that my plans didn't make sense.

With that extra week to analyze, I probably would have ordered more to match what I had in my head. or I would have talked myself out of ordering completely. its a toss up.
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby Darren » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:43 am

I quickly read through the posts about Kickstarter's. The Horsemen may be established but they are very small scale. Almost Mom and Pop. I don't think that they could go forward with a lot of new tooling with out a Kickstarter. That's just my take on it.

I really like stuff like Kickstarter. We live in a McDonald's/Walmart world. Where everything is made cheap, fast and in massive quantities. I know that it sounds weird but I'm happy to wait 6 months for a high quality, low production run product.
Darren
Platinum Grunt

Postby Ideal » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Darren wrote: I know that it sounds weird but I'm happy to wait 6 months for a high quality, low production run product.

Its actually kinda nice getting figures that far out from when you paid for them. the money is gone and forgotten by the time you get them, so they almost feel like a gift.
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby newfoundma » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:36 pm

Darren wrote:I know that it sounds weird but I'm happy to wait 6 months for a high quality, low production run product.

Six months would be nice compared to the actual wait. :D
newfoundma
Silver Grunt

Postby jscott991 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:02 pm

newfoundma wrote:
Darren wrote:I know that it sounds weird but I'm happy to wait 6 months for a high quality, low production run product.

Six months would be nice compared to the actual wait. :D

Yeah, seriously.

Six months would be like instant gratification at this point.

I still don't get the point of the KS for 4H. They can raise the money just as effectively in a preorder -- at least I'd think so. Who does a KS reach that a preorder doesn't? It gets advertised in the same places. I can't imagine there is this whole group of people who just troll kickstarters, but pay no attention to toy news elsewhere.
jscott991
Silver Grunt

Postby TheToyDoc » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:31 pm

My question about Kickstarter versus preorder is why anyone cares? And more importantly why anyone thinks they know the independent toy market better than the Horsemen. I promise I’m not trying to troll, I’m just certain the guys know what they’re doing.

As far as it being “abuse” of the Kickstarter system, that’s just silly. I’ve seen “creators” use the platform multiple times (20+) without problems. Abuse is when you start new campaigns when your previous aren’t even close to fulfilled.
TheToyDoc
Apprentice

Postby dragonsleeper » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:55 pm

^^^Fresh Monkey fiction is on its 3rd KS without any released wave :x let's not doubt 4H integrity that they are abusing the KS process
dragonsleeper
Standard Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive