All New Customs/Mash-Ups Thread (v3)

Re: All New Customs/Mash-Ups Thread (v3)

Postby Enki » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Jeremy Girard wrote:Since the first thread of customs is now filled with Photobucket, "image cannot be found" messages and the second one is locked, I figured I'd start a new thread for us to show off some custom work. I'll start with a piece that I have been working on for awhile, mainly because I wanted to find the right pieces to put it all together! Here is my custom Mindflayer!

The head is a custom one I bought off eBay, originally made by Kevin Kosse. That head is really what started this entire custom, since I knew it worked so well as a mindflayer!

For the figure's body, I wanted to recreate the thin look that I always see for mindflayers. For that reason, i opted to go with some bone limbs from a ML Scaphoid figure. The problem was that these parts needed to be painted, something I try to avoid on any parts that need to be moveable because the paint rubs on the joints. I actually tried to dye some ML bones to the color I wanted, but the plastic would not take the dye, so I ended up going with paint and sealing it the best I could.

Most of the images I had seen online of mindflayers show them in long robes, usually with high collars. I looked for a robe like this for awhile and tried a few WWE Undertaker robes, but they all made the figure look too bulky. I ended up going with a soft goods robe from a Star Wars Black Series Kylo Ren figure.

The armor pieces came from a ML Gorthokk. The chest and loin are from a ML Baron Volligar, repainted all black to remove the symbol normally on those parts.

For the figure's accessories, I made a staff out of a Baron Volligar banner pole and the topper is from a Schapoid mace. His pouch piece is from a random Lord of the Rings figure that I had in my fodder box.

Do you remember from which LOTR figure the pouch came from ? A Gandalf maybe (but it looks bigger than the bags coming with Gandalf) ?
Enki

Postby zombie13 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:26 pm

My first Halloween head is finished and ready to show. If you've been keeping up with the "Halloween" thread, then you've seen a couple of previews of what I'm working on. I've got three heads in the works and this is the first (technically it's the last head first). I call him "Jack" and I have a couple up for order right now in my B/S/T thread if you want one. I'm a little behind on my heads right now because of life stuff getting in the way, but I will have more if you miss out on the first ones.

And a little foreshadowing...

And one just for fun..."I am Root?"

The WIP pics. And the mouth was dremmeled out after this point for more depth.
Last edited by zombie13 on Mon May 21, 2018 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
Follow me on Instagram at zombie13.customs
zombie13
Smith

Postby Gowron » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:35 pm

You Sir, do very good work.

Would you ever consider doing alternate helmet attachments? Something like moose antlers would be great.
Gowron
Silver Grunt

Postby christianpyro » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:44 pm

Gowron wrote:You Sir, do very good work.

Would you ever consider doing alternate helmet attachments? Something like moose antlers would be great.

There's a good idea. Good alternate head attachements would be hard to pass up. I was a little dissapointed that the 2.0 Kickstarter didn't really include any new parts for the 1.0 bodies. It would have made in-between waves all that better.
christianpyro
Silver Apprentice

Postby zombie13 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:39 am

You mean for the existing helmeted heads? Already working on that. ;) Stay tuned!
Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
zombie13
Smith

Postby Gowron » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:05 am

zombie13 wrote:

You mean for the existing helmeted heads? Already working on that. ;) Stay tuned!

Yup that's what I meant. Looking forward to see what you have in store for us
Gowron
Silver Grunt

Postby TheToyDoc » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:59 pm

I just received the whole pumpkin set from zomb and they are impeccable quality. I’ve started painting them today and hopefully will be able to post pics tomorrow.
TheToyDoc
Apprentice

Postby zombie13 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words Doc. Glad you like them. I can't wait to see the paint work you do on them!

Here's my next head in the trio. I call this one Skullkin. I like to think of this one as Jack starting to form. This was the first head I started working on in the set.

WIP pics of finished sculpt.

This one will be up for order soon. Finishing up some final touches. I have very limited quantities on these right now but I'm hard at work on making as many as I can. I have several in different stages from start to finish. And I'll have that third and final head to show off soon too!
Last edited by zombie13 on Mon May 21, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
zombie13
Smith

Postby Visionary » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:03 am

Love the Skullkin! And the pumpkin head might look really cool on an Evil Seed MOTUC body that I saw somewhere else.

upload image for website

Another cool thought on the Pumpkin Jack head would be to carve out the whole inside and add a small led light inside for a wicked cool flame effect.
Last edited by Visionary on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you look real close,you can see my avatar is laughing at you.
Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby zombie13 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:33 am

Actually Vis, I cast almost all my parts in clear translucent. So a little LED would work as is with these if someone is savvy enough to rig one up. I just don't have the time to invest into it myself.

I'll post a pic of some heads before painting so you guys can see what I mean.
zombie13
Smith

Postby JimPansen » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:04 am

The Pumpkin skeleton is soooo cool!!!! Splendid!!!
JimPansen
Silver Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks Jim! Than means a lot coming from you. You've been doing this sort of thing longer than me. I've only just recently started offering my casts for sale.

And now for those pics I promised earlier...

Here is the Jack head with an LED under it with no paint...

And here is a batch of heads freshly prepped and ready for paint. They look almost white in these pics, but they are translucent and details are hard to see at this stage. If you look, you can see my finger through the bottom of the Jack head.

Stay tuned for tomorrow. I'll have the third and final head in this set to show that I like to call "Pumskull."
Last edited by zombie13 on Mon May 21, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
zombie13
Smith

Postby Visionary » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:46 pm

That's really cool Zom but I was wondering if it can be hollowed from the top like a real Jack O Lantern and have the eyes and mouth open for a light source to shine through
If you look real close,you can see my avatar is laughing at you.
Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby zombie13 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:39 pm

They can definitely be hollowed out but then you would run into problems like destroying the socket for the neck where it plugs into. This wouldn't be much of a problem for figures with small neck pegs, but wouldn't work with Mythic Legions. Now if it's not going on a figure and used as say, a decoration or something held in a figures hand, then it could be done. BUT, if there is enough demand for something like that, I could make a new one with the lid sculpted separate and the gourd hollowed out. I can literally make just about anything, the problem is having the time to do it. With that being said, I'm open to requests if there's something that you guys have an itch for. With in reason that is.
zombie13
Smith

Postby ReallyBigKid » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:12 am

I was just thinking today that the head sculpt of King Bromdenn Ironjaw would be great for customizers to turn into an undead wizard. Elongate the ears to make them pointy then cut off that big nose and sculpt the cavity to make it more skull-like. Keep it on an armoured body or put it on something like the body of Scaphoid. Terrible photoshop, I know, but it gives an adequate visual of what could be possible. Carving skull noses into figures isn’t that hard.

ReallyBigKid
Bronze Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive