MATTEL LOST DC LICENCE

The place to discuss all things Four Horsemen!

MATTEL LOST DC LICENCE

Postby Chicken George » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:34 am

Seems as though Mattel is in even more financial trouble. This loss of license is going to be huge for them. They have it till end of 2019. The manufacturer of Paw Patrol will have DC license for 3 years, with no guarantee they will make adult collectable figures, many have the theory they will make only cheaper kid version action figures, you know, the ones meant to be played with.

Eric Treadway recently said that they had started sending more work to them, I think they were trying to get some quality back into their Multiverse figures as far as sculpting went. I wonder if it was too little too late.

Maybe they will concentrate on getting Thundercats relaunched now.
Chicken George
Bronze Grunt

Re: MATTEL LOST DC LICENCE

Postby Ideal » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:10 am

I know they have more figures coming up this year that im really excited about than they have in a very long time. I just hope they actually hit shelves before stores stop stocking them (not that there is a lot of stocking going on now...)

figures from a new company will have to be evaluated at that point, but will likely cherry picked as I can't see a new company putting out something vastly superior to what we've gotten from Mattel
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Re: MATTEL LOST DC LICENCE

Postby JamesLynch » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:42 pm

I could see a company putting out something vastly superior to what we've gotten from Mattel, I just can't see Spin Master being that company. The only action figures they've ever done were from Tron Legacy, and those were awful. Maybe they'll surprise us, but I'm not holding my breath.

One major problem with Mattel's DC stuff in recent years is that it hasn't been that good. Their "basic" figures tend to be pretty lame, and the Multiverse line has been largely focused on the TV and movie aspect of things (and DC's track record with movies has been spotty, but that's a whole other argument), and their TV/movie figures haven't been very good. They tend to look like figures that would have barely passed muster in the late 90's/early 00's, with soft sculpts and molding, poor articulation, sloppy paint, and an undersized scale.

The sad thing is, some of their more recent (mostly comic-based) Multiverse figures have actually been showing signs of improvement, with more unique parts and steps towards modern articulation, engineering, and paint apps (even if the core of the line still seems to be based around those first DCUC bucks the 4H crafted over a decade ago). The Multiverse Harley Quinn figure that just came out is one of the nicest figures I've bought from a mainstream retailer in quite some time. It could almost pass for a NECA figure.

But, yeah, unfortunately, this seems to have been a case of "too little, too late." Few stores even seem to stock Multiverse anymore, and those that do are usually still sitting on product from Wonder Woman and Justice League.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Return to General Discussion