Removing Azza's Tattoos

Removing Azza's Tattoos

Postby jscott991 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:59 pm

I have been very slowly opening my Mythic Legions. There were a few of them that I knew I would mod in some way. I painted Delphina and Ravaena's necks (Delphina worked out a lot better). I put together my Knight Builder using the alternate torso (not a mod, I know, but I had been worried about it for weeks). Now I'm on to my biggest project.

I love the look of Azza, but I can't stand all the body painting or tattoos or whatever they are. I originally thought I might try to paint over it, but that's going to be impossible to do on the face. So I was pretty resigned to probably not opening any of my Azzas.

Until the Transformers Siege line of figures came out. For those that don't know (or care), the Siege figures are G1 designs that have one controversial feature: they are slathered with battle damage. It doesn't bother me, but it bothered a lot of fans. So much so that many people have posted tutorials on how to remove it. Basically it's paint on paint, just like Azza.

The recommended method is to use alcohol on a cotton ball and just work on it slowly but surely.

Would this work on Azza? Is there still too high of a risk that it will strip off the underlying paint?
jscott991
Silver Grunt

Re: Removing Azza's Tattoos

Postby garyl » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:57 pm

There may be some washes and thin paint on the surface you could successfully remove on certain figures, but I don't see being able to remove a solid black paint like what's on Azza without taking off the paint under and around it.
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby jscott991 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:22 am

garyl wrote:There may be some washes and thin paint on the surface you could successfully remove on certain figures, but I don't see being able to remove a solid black paint like what's on Azza without taking off the paint under and around it.

Yeah, this is my fear.
jscott991
Silver Grunt

Postby Satam » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:41 pm

Yeah, I'm with garyl on this. Big risk.
Satam
Bronze Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:43 pm

Probably safer to just repaint over those tattoos. I'll see what paint I have and any mix ratios I have to do to match it and let you know if you want. If you use any kind of paint remover chemical you're going to be left with the white plastic underneath as all these figures are painted and almost none of the parts cast is any color of plastic.
Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
Follow me on Instagram at zombie13.customs
zombie13
Smith

Postby jscott991 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:17 am

zombie13 wrote:Probably safer to just repaint over those tattoos. I'll see what paint I have and any mix ratios I have to do to match it and let you know if you want. If you use any kind of paint remover chemical you're going to be left with the white plastic underneath as all these figures are painted and almost none of the parts cast is any color of plastic.

I haven't tried to match the blue yet. It looks like it just might be a matter of adding a little white to a Vallejo blue. There's plenty of big, easy to paint space to play with though (the legs, stomach, and back). The problem is that I don't think I'm skilled enough to do the face.

I was hoping to just rub this off carefully, like people have been doing with the Transformers battle damage, but I think the tattoos are more heavily painted on.
jscott991
Silver Grunt

Postby SalemCrow » Thu May 02, 2019 8:26 am

The battle damage paint on the TF figures are over a cast plastic color.

If zombie says the figures are all painted over cast white plastic, I would trust him.

If you have a spare piece, you could try a magic eraser sponge to try removing the tattoo paint.
SalemCrow
Silver Grunt

Postby jscott991 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:44 am

I definitely trust him.

I have a lot less use for Azza now. It's a shame. I love the mold.
jscott991
Silver Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:05 pm

Want me to repaint it for you?
Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
zombie13
Smith

Postby jscott991 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:13 pm

zombie13 wrote:Want me to repaint it for you?

Intriguing idea. I'm going to contact you off the forum, if you dont' mind.
jscott991
Silver Grunt

Postby garyl » Sat May 18, 2019 1:17 pm

I assumed I would like Azza better without the tattoos, but, having seen them side by side on Zombie's instagram page, I prefer the tattooed version.
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby jscott991 » Sat May 18, 2019 9:20 pm

garyl wrote:I assumed I would like Azza better without the tattoos, but, having seen them side by side on Zombie's instagram page, I prefer the tattooed version.

To each their own.

The tattoos, to me, ruin an excellent mold and color scheme. Despite Azza being one of the figures that caught my eye during the kickstarter all that time ago, I would never have opened her if zombie hadn't offered to repaint her.
jscott991
Silver Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:19 pm

Here's the pictures of how the repaint on Azza turned out with no tattoos.

zombie13
Smith

Postby Satam » Tue May 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Considering she's all blue and mysterious looking, I actually kind of like her better with the weird tattoos, but you did a damn good job on that, my friend.
Satam
Bronze Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:40 pm

I like her both ways. Kind of a Powered Up and powered down version. Here's the broken down figure for painting.

zombie13
Smith

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive