Mythic Legions ART BOOK - May we get a current update?

Re: Mythic Legions ART BOOK - May we get a current update?

Postby JamesLynch » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:41 pm

NorthCoast wrote:Certainly the lack of inking was an interesting choice and I don't think I'd have gone in that direction. If they couldn't find an inker for some reason, that just strengthens the argument that the publisher is not "ready for prime time."

Coloring directly over pencils is a pretty common occurrence these days.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby NorthCoast » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:46 pm

JamesLynch wrote:
NorthCoast wrote:Certainly the lack of inking was an interesting choice and I don't think I'd have gone in that direction. If they couldn't find an inker for some reason, that just strengthens the argument that the publisher is not "ready for prime time."

Coloring directly over pencils is a pretty common occurrence these days.

Yeah, I know and I don't think it was a great choice with these pencils. :|
NorthCoast
Apprentice

Postby Edhellman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:10 pm

I would have preferred seeing more of the characters because this seemed like an odd story considering it isn't the first chapter in a series. This is a stand alone book (they have not mentioned a second one). I loved skapular but the comic left me feeling frustrated that it will likely be a year AT LEAST before another might come out. With all the great artists out there, why not do a web comic that can actually be updated quickly on the regular?

All that complaining aside, I gotta say I love these characters and would jump at the chance for more comics.
Edhellman
Bronze Grunt

Postby ToDigAndBeDug » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:20 am

So I just finished the book, and overall, I liked it, but as others have said, it is somewhat disappointing, especially given that it is so late to arrive. Did anybody else sing the song at the beginning and end to the tune of Gilligan's Island? Haha. Pretty sure there's a name for that style of rhyming/songwriting, but it fits perfectly. The end is far less sinister, however, when sung this way.

Also, I agree, a little copyediting would have gone a long way. That one panel with Otho in particular is painful: "You're Urkku savages have met defeat, Skapular...if the queen dies--so dies you and all your party." It's like, come on, two grammatical mistakes in one panel? Most people who are at least semi-aware of grammar would catch those mistakes.

And anybody else notice that Lord Edgard, the Blood Knight, has been changed to Lord Edsekk?

Have we seen the pictures of the characters featured in the bios before? It looks like many of them interconnect and form one big picture (for example, you can see the top part of Azhar's picture at the bottom of Otho's picture).

The sculpt and drawing of Arethyr at the end of the comic show him with some sort of helmet and visor on. I hope that when we get him he comes with the unhelmeted head as well as featured in the comic part of the book.

I agree with others: Nate's painting in this book is by far the best artwork.

Liked the story, would like to see more stories featuring these characters, especially a greater variety of characters. Just not sure what format that should take.
ToDigAndBeDug
Silver Grunt

Postby Jon Michael » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:03 am

Is the pdf the entire artbook, or just a portion for people until it ships out?
Jon Michael
Silver Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:37 am

Jon Michael wrote:Is the pdf the entire artbook, or just a portion for people until it ships out?

I don't think anyone involved has specifically addressed this, but there's been nothing in any of the announcements to indicate that there will be additional material in the printed version.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby koonfasa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:29 am

Why are orcs the bad guys?
That's racist.
ship1-3=$22.25;4=$33.25;5-6=$53.25;7-8=$64.70...
koonfasa
Golden Grunt

Postby Sir Real » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Requesting an update on the art book, please.
Sir Real
Bronzesmith

Postby mignash » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Just reading the Mythic Legions Book 1for the first time in detail, I knew the image seemed familiar. I found it in an old monster film book I had. Seems inspired directly by The Abominable Dr. Phibes promo shot.

mignash
Silver Grunt

Postby mignash » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:57 pm

redxavier wrote:This was pretty good (some issues with the geography); however, I'm puzzled as to why Artemyss is the only character from 2.0 to feature. I would have thought generating interest in the current Kickstarter characters would help drive pledges... but then maybe this has been delayed so much its timing with the campaign is more of a coincidence?

This comic s was probably started writing when the first KS was much newer to promote their reissue.

I did notice that Xylona appeared in silhouette on in one frame, and she is also a ML2 figure.

Ottman34 wrote:Anybody else notice some errors in the art book, or maybe some over thought?

Orn Steelhide has a red beard in the comic, but a black beard in the figure.

That head with the black beard is an alternate build as someone else. The "beardless" head is his, as his beard is short.

Ottman34 wrote:Attila Leossyr's bio has a picture of him with the Heavensbrand sword

Maybe he gets the sword at some point in the story?

Visionary wrote:Best things about the book

...Skapular

Anyone else getting a Bender from Futurama vibe from him? Like he left the Congregation of Necronominus and said "Bite my bony ass! I'll form my own legion... with hookers and blackjack!"

mignash
Silver Grunt

Postby mignash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:28 am

I noticed that a lot of the character art in the book seems to be split up for larger group pictures of the characters. For instance the Leodysseus and Poxxus pictures are all one large picture cut up. I pasted them all together, but there is some missing.

Does anyone have the larger photos?

mignash
Silver Grunt

Postby Satam » Mon May 13, 2019 10:15 pm

ToDigAndBeDug wrote:
Also, I agree, a little copyediting would have gone a long way. That one panel with Otho in particular is painful: "You're Urkku savages have met defeat, Skapular...if the queen dies--so dies you and all your party." It's like, come on, two grammatical mistakes in one panel? Most people who are at least semi-aware of grammar would catch those mistakes.

I actually am a copy editor and I am sure that only one of those is a mistake. I doubt highly that the second "dies" is not supposed to be "does" or something. It's just a sort of epic way of speaking. I have a much bigger problem with the use of an em dash there when a comma would work better.
Satam
Bronze Grunt

Postby ToDigAndBeDug » Thu May 23, 2019 12:15 pm

Satam wrote:
ToDigAndBeDug wrote:

I actually am a copy editor and I am sure that only one of those is a mistake. I doubt highly that the second "dies" is not supposed to be "does" or something. It's just a sort of epic way of speaking. I have a much bigger problem with the use of an em dash there when a comma would work better.

I wasn't thinking it should be another word, but that it should be conjugated "die" and not "dies." I myself may be wrong, but it stood out as incorrect to me. Shouldn't it be "die" since the verb is being conjugated for "you and all your party" and the "dies" would imply that it's "you and all your party dies", which is grammatically incorrect? I would think, even speaking in this old-fashioned epic tone, it should still be "you and all your party die", as in, "They die." I'm genuinely curious since, being a copyeditor, I take it you're someone who would be knowledgeable on the subject.
ToDigAndBeDug
Silver Grunt

Postby boogieman4hire » Thu May 23, 2019 6:04 pm

ToDigAndBeDug wrote:
Satam wrote:
ToDigAndBeDug wrote:

I wasn't thinking it should be another word, but that it should be conjugated "die" and not "dies." I myself may be wrong, but it stood out as incorrect to me. Shouldn't it be "die" since the verb is being conjugated for "you and all your party" and the "dies" would imply that it's "you and all your party dies", which is grammatically incorrect? I would think, even speaking in this old-fashioned epic tone, it should still be "you and all your party die", as in, "They die." I'm genuinely curious since, being a copyeditor, I take it you're someone who would be knowledgeable on the subject.

I'd be surprised if a cutthroat assassin took the time to learn perfect grammar. Maybe it doesn't matter at all.
boogieman4hire
Platinum Grunt

Postby Satam » Thu May 23, 2019 10:27 pm

ToDigAndBeDug wrote:
Satam wrote:
ToDigAndBeDug wrote:

Not really. "They die" but "your party dies." While "they" is a third-person plural pronoun, "your party" counts as a third-person singular pronoun like "he" or "she," as it's considered one entity. Therefore, "dies" is correct. The phrasing, however, is not something that would at all be considered acceptable by AP or Chicago style standards. Then again, there is room for creative license, and it's very reminiscent of something you might hear in a Shakespeare play or even an old Errol Flynn movie, so it works well for the genre here.
Satam
Bronze Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive