All New Customs/Mash-Ups Thread (v3)

Re: All New Customs/Mash-Ups Thread (v3)

Postby zombie13 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:24 pm

Garnik wrote:Image

Looks pretty good there Garnik. I don't have any means to do digital stuff, so I can't imagine the obstacles you must have to over come with one program, let alone multiple ones. I think the skull on the shield looks great. Definitely different that the one I sculpted from scratch...

For those of you that remember my Warduke custom, the shield a scratch built is too heavy for the figure to hold up properly. I ended up going to Garnik first about a better custom grip for shields. He then created his shield blanks and I went to him about a bigger shield with rivets because I wanted to cast the shield skull I sculpted and attach it to his blank shield print. He then made that spiffy amulet print mock up. I'll be ordering from him soon so I can upgrade Warduke here with his new parts!

Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
zombie13
Platinum Apprentice

Postby ReallyBigKid » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:30 pm

Garnik wrote:
ReallyBigKid wrote:Great work, Garnic. I use sketchup for my woodwork plans. Do you mean to tell me I can do stuff in sketchup and transfer it to other sculpting programs. As for Zbrush, I'm looking into the core program, but while I save up for it, I'll continue with Sculptris.

There is an extension for Sketchup that lets you export your geometry as an STL file. There is, like there always is, a catch. When I bring Sketchup models into Zbrush the faces are too big and the points don't really behave properly when you sculpt. It gets all distorted. I'm sure someone who knows what they're doing could probably mess with the dynamesh and sort it out but I'm not even sure Core has the capability. So I build the standard shapes and guides for my models in Sketchup where I have definite control over scale. I import that into Zbrush and sculpt the more organic components. Then I import both of those into Blender to merge and confirm size/scale. A whole lot of screwing around but Blender is pretty powerful - and free - which makes it a nice, if not convenient, work around. I'm in the process of trying to hollow out the back side of the shield since uploading it to Shapeways it was more expensive than I wanted it to be.

Garnik, Meshmixer is a great, easy way of scaling things as well as hollowing out models. It's free too. That's what I use to cut the neck pin into my heads.
ReallyBigKid
Bronze Apprentice

Postby Garnik » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:37 pm

Always love to see that Warduke custom Zombie! Good to see him further up in the thread :D

There are a lot of different interpretations of this character out there but this shield is pretty much a mix of

and

with a small dose of

'cause I've been drawing that skull since fifth grade!

I just received a new batch of test prints and the amulet and zOMBIE Special are good to go: tried and tested.

The Warduke shield won't be up until I get a test print back to make sure it's a solid piece. More themed shields in the works as well...

I just finished this one last night (working strictly in my old friend Sketchup)
Garnik
Standard Grunt

Postby Garnik » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:44 pm

ReallyBigKid wrote:
Garnik wrote:
ReallyBigKid wrote:Great work, Garnic. I use sketchup for my woodwork plans. Do you mean to tell me I can do stuff in sketchup and transfer it to other sculpting programs. As for Zbrush, I'm looking into the core program, but while I save up for it, I'll continue with Sculptris.

There is an extension for Sketchup that lets you export your geometry as an STL file. There is, like there always is, a catch. When I bring Sketchup models into Zbrush the faces are too big and the points don't really behave properly when you sculpt. It gets all distorted. I'm sure someone who knows what they're doing could probably mess with the dynamesh and sort it out but I'm not even sure Core has the capability. So I build the standard shapes and guides for my models in Sketchup where I have definite control over scale. I import that into Zbrush and sculpt the more organic components. Then I import both of those into Blender to merge and confirm size/scale. A whole lot of screwing around but Blender is pretty powerful - and free - which makes it a nice, if not convenient, work around. I'm in the process of trying to hollow out the back side of the shield since uploading it to Shapeways it was more expensive than I wanted it to be.

Garnik, Meshmixer is a great, easy way of scaling things as well as hollowing out models. It's free too. That's what I use to cut the neck pin into my heads.

Meshmixer...hmmmm. That sounds like an awesome tool to add to the box. I always wondered how you guys hollowed out those peg holes without actually sculpting around a neck peg. I've got a 6 inch scaled Cad Bane scan from a 3 3/4 figure that needs just that! Love hearing how you guys work and what mediums are used. Such an active community - and to see the 4H acknowledge that with the two guests spots on Apocalypticon (did I get that right?) makes it so much cooler!
Garnik
Standard Grunt

Postby Visionary » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:46 pm

Are we able to buy some of these or are they just one off creations?
If you look real close,you can see my avatar is laughing at you.
Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby Garnik » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:09 am

Visionary wrote:Are we able to buy some of these or are they just one off creations?

Most are available now: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/accessory-designs?s=0
I just got a new batch of prints so along with the shield blanks I'll be adding new spell casting hands and magic effects to the store inventory.

I'm having a little difficulty getting the price of the Warduke shield down where I'd like it. I'm hoping Meshmaster recommended by RBK will help with that.
I have to paint my new hand prints and the magic effects since my Zombie Cephalapod head is screaming for some dark magic. Pics will be up soon... I'm heading out for a short vacation on Friday so I'm hoping I can clear my plate before then :)
Garnik
Standard Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:00 am

That new shield is killer. Looks like it would pair well with my Armored Masked Skull. Gonna need one of those too. These are just a couple of the pics I used while making the Duke.

Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
zombie13
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Godsman2 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:03 pm

My Black Knight customs. One good, one bad. Decided to name the evil knight Lord Soth from the Dragonlance novels. Just like how it sounds. Not sure about the hero knight's name yet.

Godsman2
Silver Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:06 pm

VERY cool. Where is the heroic sword from and where is the evil shield piece from? Love these two figures.
zombie13
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Visionary » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Soo sweet GD2!!!

The sheild i think is from the Target line that bombed. I bought a few of those Red Imp Knights and they have that shield attached to their backs.Almost killed My figures ripping them off
Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby Godsman2 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanks guys. The shield is from a World of Warcraft knight (forgot his name). It originally had arrows stuck in it if that helps. The sword is from Plastic Curves store. They do head and weapon casts of MOTUC.
Godsman2
Silver Grunt

Postby Visionary » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Yup sorry it's WoW
Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby Jeremy Girard » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:31 am

Garnik wrote:

So far I have managed to avoid jumping into Shapeways items, but looking at your shop, there are a few items I am very interested in and I may need to give these a shot for some of my customs!
Check all of my Mythic Legions customs at www.pumpkin-king.com/mythic
Jeremy Girard
Apprentice

Postby squeezeplay » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:46 am

The sword is also originally from a WoW figure:

There are a few decent acc. from that older line. There are also a ton of great acc. from the later Warcraft stuff but most are pretty expensive.
squeezeplay
Standard Grunt

Postby Garnik » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Jeremy Girard wrote:
Garnik wrote:

So far I have managed to avoid jumping into Shapeways items, but looking at your shop, there are a few items I am very interested in and I may need to give these a shot for some of my customs!

I have to say thanks just for dropping by the shop Jeremy. I've been lurking here for a while watching what was customized and listening to what the community was looking for in general. I've been using that to build a list of items I can work on to practice with the software. With that said... if you guys are looking for something specific please let me know. New projects are welcome although the workflow will certainly slow once the new semester begins at the end of the month.

I just watched a few tutorials on some very clever ZbrushCore strategies that will help streamline my process (and improve shield modeling) so I'll be moving in that direction for now. But I did a little work while on vacation last week

The center of the quiver is hollow to reduce plastic volume but the ends are filled for the illusion of a solid piece.

Detailed look at back plug and quiver attachment

And I resized this one to make it more affordable (Previously 3.7 inches long and almost $40 in smooth detailed plastic :( ).
Now it's in line with the pricing of my other themed shields.
Garnik
Standard Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive