What ever happened to keeping legion-builders in-stock?

What ever happened to keeping legion-builders in-stock?

Postby Lerath666 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:25 pm

I remember, WAAAAY back in the original kickstarter, it was mentioned that they had the intention of keeping, or trying to keep the Legion builders in-stock perpetually to help people get them.

Am I delusional? If not, whatever happened to that?
Lerath666

Re: What ever happened to keeping legion-builders in-stock?

Postby ToDigAndBeDug » Thu May 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Lerath666 wrote:I remember, WAAAAY back in the original kickstarter, it was mentioned that they had the intention of keeping, or trying to keep the Legion builders in-stock perpetually to help people get them.

Assuming they changed their mind.
ToDigAndBeDug
Silver Grunt

Postby jscott991 » Thu May 10, 2018 5:42 pm

I feel like the legion builders are like printing money but maybe I'm wrong.

eBay prices suggest I'm not. :)
jscott991
Bronze Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:33 pm

I still support this "idea." The Legion Builders are great for swapping parts to make up your own characters, or change up the existing ones. They may look plane at first, but there is great potential in them. I know I'd make multiple orders for them as I'm always fiddling with my figures and finding new looks wishing I have bought more Legion Builders than I did months in the past. They are the figures that once you have them IN HAND, you realize THEN what you could really do with them. The Legion Builders are not just for building armies, they are great for building creativity too!
Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
zombie13
Smith

Postby skeletom » Fri May 11, 2018 2:26 am

zombie13 wrote:I still support this "idea." The Legion Builders are great for swapping parts to make up your own characters, or change up the existing ones. They may look plane at first, but there is great potential in them. I know I'd make multiple orders for them as I'm always fiddling with my figures and finding new looks wishing I have bought more Legion Builders than I did months in the past. They are the figures that once you have them IN HAND, you realize THEN what you could really do with them. The Legion Builders are not just for building armies, they are great for building creativity too!

I totally agree with you 100%! :)
skeletom
Bronze Grunt

Postby Ideal » Fri May 11, 2018 6:13 am

Legion builders like the Templars or the upcoming Elf builders are things I would just randomly buy every so often as I decided I needed more if they were available on a regular basis.

Preorders tend to drop at the same time I have pretty major events going on, and its pretty hard for me to justify allocating funds to the figures when I already have other plans for that money. If there was some amount of in-stock product, I would be able to come back and pick stuff up when I had some free cash that wasn't going toward a convention/vacation/major purchase.
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby SalemCrow » Fri May 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Lerath666 wrote:I remember, WAAAAY back in the original kickstarter, it was mentioned that they had the intention of keeping, or trying to keep the Legion builders in-stock perpetually to help people get them.

You aren't delusional. I've been asking it since the first KS ended and they did the first post KS sale.

I can't do a constant stream of KS campaigns or massive preorders. Being able to grab 2 when I had the money would certainly mean I could grab more than the 5 figures I have. *shrug*

Other lines are tempting me now anyway, so I suppose this NOT being a thing, is a plus.
SalemCrow
Silver Grunt

Postby beast guy » Sat May 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Did the Horsemen say they were going to keep them in stock or is it wishful thinking on our part? Don't get me wrong. I wish legion builders were kept in stock at all times. But I have always got the impression they don't like having product sitting in their warehouse. That said, I fall into the "preorder does not work best for me" group. I might be able to buy two or three legion builders a month which means I will buy two or three figures during a preorder with little chance to fill out ranks later.

One a side note, we could use some standard male barbarian legion builders.
beast guy
Platinum Grunt

Postby Ideal » Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 am

beast guy wrote:Did the Horsemen say they were going to keep them in stock or is it wishful thinking on our part? Don't get me wrong. I wish legion builders were kept in stock at all times. But I have always got the impression they don't like having product sitting in their warehouse. That said, I fall into the "preorder does not work best for me" group. I might be able to buy two or three legion builders a month which means I will buy two or three figures during a preorder with little chance to fill out ranks later.

One a side note, we could use some standard male barbarian legion builders.

I don't remember where it was said, but I'm pretty sure they are the ones that said it was something they were looking at doing, not just us wanting it to happen.
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby Roland of Gilead » Wed May 23, 2018 5:21 pm

I remember thinking that this was the original plan. It was why I didn't bother grabbing any Legion Builders the first time around because I hoped to pick them up in greater numbers eventually in the store.

Joke was on me on that one.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby mignash » Thu May 24, 2018 7:16 am

Most likely they WOULD be the plan if they could make and ship figures faster than demand. Sadly almost every figure sells out quickly. They can't make enough to bother making extra stock on top of that!

You'd think they could get a contract for a couple BBTS exclusive legion builders though. Have the Chinese factory ship directly to them. Let BBTS hold the stock in their warehouse. Four Horsemen just keep the profit after designing it and have it ship straight from China to BBTS. Just a simple Order Knight, a Congregation Skeleton, a Flock Dwarf and a Legion Orc. One for each of the most popular groups.
mignash
Silver Grunt

Postby jscott991 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:23 am

I'm confused. Why can't they make more figures? Couldn't they just tack a few hundred (or even a thousand) more onto each preorder to keep some in stock? Surely by now they sort of know how much would sell.

Let's say they had 200 extra Black Knights that sold out in 10 minutes during the in-stock sale. If they had 600 or 700, that would probably keep some in stock. I think they made something like 2,232 black knights (93 boxes of 24). If they had made 3,000, I bet a few would still be in stock. And, if not, then that means that demand exceeded supply by 35%, suggesting they left quite a bit of money on the table by not making more for the instock sale.
jscott991
Bronze Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:24 am

The problem with that logic right now is that they would still sell out because there are people out there that would buy in bulk to get them to sell out so they could turn around and sell them for a higher price. At least in the beginning. Until the demand dies down a bit this would happen time and time again until those people that bought them can not sell them for more than they paid for them to begin with. At that point, the market would hit a plateau. The Horsemen would still make their money in the beginning because the stock would sell out, but there is a greater cost. Once a plateau was hit, then their income for stock sitting there would decrease over time. There are many more problems that could come up that we may not even be aware of. It's easy for us as a consumer to say things like "Why not just make more than you can sell?" "We will eventually buy them." It's a tough thing to figure out. More and more people find out about Mythic Legions every day. The market is still growing. I think the Rolling Stones hit the nail on the head, "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need."
Anyone that needs me off site or not a registered member here may email me at zombie13.customs@yahoo.com
zombie13
Smith

Postby jscott991 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:33 am

This reminds me a bit too much of discussions about MOTUC and how Mattel handled the line, so I think this will be the last I post about it.

It's fairly obvious that Mythic Legions is being under-produced. For whatever reason, people aren't buying what they want during the preorders (I think it's the long delay between paying for the figures and receiving them, in addition to greater exposure to figure releases compared to preorder announcements). It's pretty elementary that 4H should make more figures if they want to make more money (or, if you want to be less mercantilistic, grow the line).

I'll bet almost anything that demand for Advent figures is going to blow the lid off supply and leave many people wishing they could get more (or get into the line to begin with). There's going to be an explosion of interest in Mythic Legions from the time the first preorder ships to the time the second preorder ships (particularly if it's within 2-3 months of each other) and I think that many of the people who come poking around the line are going to be disappointed that basically no figures are available for retail prices.

Just like Super7 could basically print money by offering the A-list MOTUC characters (or at least keeping He-Man and Skeletor in stock any time they release a new wave), I think 4H could probably sell quite a few more legion builders (and other figures) each time they get a wave of anything in stock and there is a lot of attention on the line.

Edit:

At some point, they should consider an all-legion builder preorder. I suspect it would do very well.
jscott991
Bronze Grunt

Postby mignash » Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 am

jscott991 wrote: For whatever reason, people aren't buying what they want during the preorders

I know that I simply cannot make large investments at one time. I could buy a figure or two a month, but buying 24 figures at one go per year is impossible.

It's possible the 4H simply would rather err on the side of wanting their figures to be in demand over making too many of one guy and having to put them on clearance.

Plus it looks good to have almost every figure sell out and double in value shortly after sale.
mignash
Silver Grunt

Next

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive