Lioncloth backwards on Brontus

Lioncloth backwards on Brontus

Postby Monolunar » Sat May 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi there,
This week I received my Brontus and I realized that has a QC issue, his lioncloth was assembled backwards.
Anyone knows a way to fix it?
Monolunar

Re: Lioncloth backwards on Brontus

Postby zombie13 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:48 am

Geez. That’s got to suck. Can you post any pictures? I don’t have one, so I’d have to really see what it looks like before ever trying to guess how to solve this.
Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name. But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game.
zombie13
Platinum Apprentice

Postby boogieman4hire » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 am

It's rotocast as in hollow spun plastic pieces. And the polyvinyl gets super soft when heated so just take a hair dryer and heat his belly are and crotch area. And since the joint is a swivel just pull it apart. Re adjust the loin piece then reheat the connection areas for the troll and pop it back together.
boogieman4hire
Golden Grunt

Postby garyl » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 pm

boogieman4hire wrote:It's rotocast as in hollow spun plastic pieces. And the polyvinyl gets super soft when heated so just take a hair dryer and heat his belly are and crotch area. And since the joint is a swivel just pull it apart. Re adjust the loin piece then reheat the connection areas for the troll and pop it back together.

I have to ask if this is from firsthand experience, that is, have you tried this with one of your trolls? The reason I ask is because I tried to free one of the shoulder joints of my Stone Troll by heating it with a hairdryer; the joint didn't loosen but the hollow arm started to twist. I stopped out of fear that the upper arm was going to tear, or collapse in some way.
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby boogieman4hire » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:25 am

garyl wrote:
boogieman4hire wrote:It's rotocast as in hollow spun plastic pieces. And the polyvinyl gets super soft when heated so just take a hair dryer and heat his belly are and crotch area. And since the joint is a swivel just pull it apart. Re adjust the loin piece then reheat the connection areas for the troll and pop it back together.

I have to ask if this is from firsthand experience, that is, have you tried this with one of your trolls? The reason I ask is because I tried to free one of the shoulder joints of my Stone Troll by heating it with a hairdryer; the joint didn't loosen but the hollow arm started to twist. I stopped out of fear that the upper arm was going to tear, or collapse in some way.

I honesty have not because I don't want to harm mine or potentially harm them especially considering the price. But I do have lots of other rotocast figures like my 12' mechagodzilla for example that have a waist swivel that I have done that on and its the same principle. But the reason that happened with that arm is because even though it's a swivel it's also a tight ratchet. And the ratchet has to be made with a different plastic than the vinyl as the joint needs to be very stiff to click into different positions. ABS( acrylonitrile butadine styrene) plastic likely. The harder non flexible plastic you see on most toys. Legos or transformers for example. Anyways basically that plastic doesn't really get softer so you softened the vinyl but not the abs pieces connecting the arm to the torso. Yanking rigid plastic out of rigid plastic which is never good. But the waist swivel isn't a ratchet so I'm confident it's vinyl holding vinyl together which should mean both sides will be flexible enough to heat and pop. Sorry for the ranting about plastic and joints. I know too much about random things.
boogieman4hire
Golden Grunt

Postby boogieman4hire » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:42 pm

So did this help?
boogieman4hire
Golden Grunt

Postby garyl » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 am

boogieman4hire wrote:So did this help?

Not sure if you were asking this of Monolunar or me. I think your first sentence really sums it up. As for the shoulder joint problem I won't be using heat again.
I wanted to add for Monolunar ( or anyone else for that matter ) that I did remove the loincloth of the Stone Troll a while back because I never liked it and did that just by pulling it out. Without someone having successfully taken this particular figure apart and showing how to do it, I personally wouldn't attempt it. My plan is to just fold the new material under and glue it in place. Unfortunately, that new material cost twice as much as anticipated and the project is on hold. I don't know if the same would be possible with the 'fur' that Brontus and Forest Troll use; it would seem to at least be more difficult/messy. Then again, the fur may hide the mess better.
'
garyl
Golden Grunt

Postby zombie13 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Before I start, yes I might be a little crazy. As a child growing up, I didn't have a lot of toys, much less the exact toys I wanted. So I took immaculate care of what I did have. Even outside toys stayed inside and were never allowed to get "dirty." I got older and my artistic side started to take over that paranoia of messing something up. As my talent grew, so did my confidence in my abilities as a "customizer." So as the years have gone by, I've done things, unspeakable things, to some very expensive "collectables." All for the better mind you.

To sum it up in a nutshell, boogieman4hire is correct. I got my hands on a Brontus and notice the loin fur in an odd possition. I pulled him apart at the waist just like boogie said. It took some force, but it came apart easily enough.

Once you have him apart, you can see that the fur and the brown strips (what looks like ribbon) are two seperate pieces. Upon turning the fur over, it looks like there is no particular pattern as if it's just cut randomly. Find a possition that looks best to you and put it back on. Also note that the strips of brown ribbon under the fur are also cut at different lingths, adjust those before putting the fur back on in the possition you want it.

Once you have everything in the position you want, it's time to but ol'Bronty back together again and you won't need all the King's Horses and all the King's men, just a heat gun or a hair dryer. I tried forcing it back together the way I pulled it apart but it wouldn't pop back in place. So heat up the rim INSIDE THE UPPER BODY ONLY to make it softer. Once it's warm you should be able to pop his lower half back into place with a little effort. You're going to want to really push it back in. You'll know when it's in far enough because it won't pop back out very easily. It took me a couple of tries to get it, but it's doable. I hope this helps.

Here is an AFTER pic to show the repositioned loin fur and ribbons.

In closing, as an adult with children of my own, my children come to me when they break something because "Daddy can fix anything." Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go rebuild the motor for my Jeep and troubleshoot my Supercollider, it's acting up a bit.
Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name. But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game.
zombie13
Platinum Apprentice

Postby boogieman4hire » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:35 pm

zombie13 wrote:Before I start, yes I might be a little crazy. As a child growing up, I didn't have a lot of toys, much less the exact toys I wanted. So I took immaculate care of what I did have. Even outside toys stayed inside and were never allowed to get "dirty." I got older and my artistic side started to take over that paranoia of messing something up. As my talent grew, so did my confidence in my abilities as a "customizer." So as the years have gone by, I've done things, unspeakable things, to some very expensive "collectables." All for the better mind you.

To sum it up in a nutshell, boogieman4hire is correct. I got my hands on a Brontus and notice the loin fur in an odd possition. I pulled him apart at the waist just like boogie said. It took some force, but it came apart easily enough.

Once you have him apart, you can see that the fur and the brown strips (what looks like ribbon) are two seperate pieces. Upon turning the fur over, it looks like there is no particular pattern as if it's just cut randomly. Find a possition that looks best to you and put it back on. Also note that the strips of brown ribbon under the fur are also cut at different lingths, adjust those before putting the fur back on in the possition you want it.

Once you have everything in the position you want, it's time to but ol'Bronty back together again and you won't need all the King's Horses and all the King's men, just a heat gun or a hair dryer. I tried forcing it back together the way I pulled it apart but it wouldn't pop back in place. So heat up the rim INSIDE THE UPPER BODY ONLY to make it softer. Once it's warm you should be able to pop his lower half back into place with a little effort. You're going to want to really push it back in. You'll know when it's in far enough because it won't pop back out very easily. It took me a couple of tries to get it, but it's doable. I hope this helps.

Here is an AFTER pic to show the repositioned loin fur and ribbons.

In closing, as an adult with children of my own, my children come to me when they break something because "Daddy can fix anything." Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go rebuild the motor for my Jeep and troubleshoot my Supercollider, it's acting up a bit.

Thank you. Thank you so much for answering that for us and defending my honor. I knew it had to work.
boogieman4hire
Golden Grunt

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive