Magnets and Mythic Legions?

Magnets and Mythic Legions?

Postby Visionary » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:27 am

So I was just watching an unboxing of the new Sideshow Red Sonja statue and was wondering if using magnets for Mythic Legions is a viable option for say changing heads instead of trying to pry some off with some might where I feel I might break the figures? Would they be too cost prohibitive for the Horsemen to use? Maybe it would be better to use them for the steeds or Dragons.

Here's the Red Sonja statue video.

If you look real close,you can see my avatar is laughing at you.
Visionary
Goldsmith

Re: Magnets and Mythic Legions?

Postby Havoc » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:37 am

Nice looking figure. Did you get one Viz? Not sure about the magnets. She's quite a bit bigger than the ML figures and also a statue where she won't be posed, played with or taken apart to mix with other pieces. Perhaps with the larger mounts it might work, like you mentioned. Do you kind of get an echo in here on the weekends now that winters over? This is a very lonely place...place...place.
Havoc
Silver Grunt

Postby Visionary » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:14 am

No I didn't buy that statue due to cost and mostly display space.I would love to get it though,it's a gorgeous piece.

Ya this place is pretty dead since the Horsemen abandoned it for Facebook.Oh well atleast we are free to express our thoughts here regarding ML.

The magnets should be strong enough to hold the pieces into place even during rigorous play,though I don't know who's treating these figures like WWE figs.
Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby boogieman4hire » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Not a good idea. The magnets' polarity wouldn't allow the head to stay in any other position beyond the one it naturally clicks into.
boogieman4hire
Platinum Grunt

Postby Visionary » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:32 pm

boogieman4hire wrote:Not a good idea. The magnets' polarity wouldn't allow the head to stay in any other position beyond the one it naturally clicks into.

Even if the peg was a magnet? The head could still slide around for range of motion no?
Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby SalemCrow » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:29 pm

Still wouldn't work. You would be essentially swapping a ball joint for a cut joint that only allows rotation.

If the head feels like it's going to break, heat it up a bit, and maybe even bore it out a little bit to make it easier to swap.
SalemCrow
Silver Grunt

Postby Visionary » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:14 pm

SalemCrow wrote:Still wouldn't work. You would be essentially swapping a ball joint for a cut joint that only allows rotation.

If the head feels like it's going to break, heat it up a bit, and maybe even bore it out a little bit to make it easier to swap.

See that's what I wanted to avoid with magnets but if you guys say it's not practical then I guess they are not.
Visionary
Goldsmith

Postby JamesLynch » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 am

Couldn't, say, the magnet be in the neck, and the socket on the head be made of metal?

I'm not even advocating for the use of magnets in the figures (it seems like it would add to the costs and not be really necessary when most people probably never disassemble their figures anyway), I'm just wondering why that wouldn't work.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby mignash » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:48 am

--Baron Karza is watching this thead and laughing manically--

mignash
Silver Grunt

Postby Ideal » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:00 am

I remember having some sort of Iron Man lego type thing years ago that used magnets to hold the limbs on. If I'm recalling correctly, those joints indeed worked similar to what you are suggesting, but weren't overly secure in their positioning when all was said and done, although a neck joint wouldn't need to be as secure as a shoulder or something that needs to hold any amount of weight.

I'm also in the camp that thinks this may be over-engineering an issue that is held by a minority. I'm not a parts swapper, and in fact find the easily disassembled nature of the figures to be more of a hindrance than benefit
Ideal
Platinum Grunt

Postby jscott991 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:25 am

Ideal wrote:I'm also in the camp that thinks this may be over-engineering an issue that is held by a minority. I'm not a parts swapper, and in fact find the easily disassembled nature of the figures to be more of a hindrance than benefit

I don't like to parts swap either, but I have to admit, MOTUC and this line make you swap heads. Battleground Evil-Lyn, for example, comes with her alternate head (without the helmet) on by default. So if you want it the figure to look like Evil-Lyn, you have to swap the heads. In the coming Advent line, I'm almost certainly going to want to display Delphina, Gwendolynne, and several of the legion builders with their alternate heads. Once I put my preferred head on, I can't imagine ever swapping it back, but I'm still hoping it's easy to do that first time. The Super7 MOTUC figures, from what I've heard, are super brittle and break during routine head swaps. I hope 4H avoids that.
jscott991
Bronze Grunt

Postby Visionary » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:26 pm

See that's what I fear/hate the most! The fact that some of these figures can snap at the neck during head swaps is unacceptable imo.It happened to me when I first got my Zazhar figure and I was devastated even this the 4H sent a replacement piece.

If cost is an issue scrap it.
Visionary
Goldsmith

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive