Mythic Legions: Soul Spiller

Re: Mythic Legions: Soul Spiller

Postby Ziero01 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:36 pm

beast guy wrote:Has there been any word as to which factions the characters belong?

Officially no, but based on the video they made some pretty clear insinuations.

Malynna and the Shadow Elf Rangers are clearly members of the Circle of Poxxus, which makes sense being she's an evil mage and they're shadow elves. Lord Mustard and the Red Orcs are most likely members of the Legion, though Big Yellow could easily be a Son of the Red Star leading the Legion affiliated Orcs, so that one still has some room for doubt. The two ladies are mostly members of the Flock, though the Noble Bear is also an option for them. But seeing as how the Flock seems to be getting most of the love with this current wave, my money is on them. Finally there's Cowaross, who is a total wild card. At this point, he could go in almost any direction, a Merc for the Sons, a hunter for the Legions, a defector to the Noble Bear or any of the other mixed race factions. Being shown by himself (all the others were shown in pairs or more) means he's probably important to the story, so I feel he'll most likely be a hero for the Noble Bear or something.

As for the Ice Troll, he's either Legion or Circle.

They usually hold off on revealing factions, either due to apathy towards the concept or an attempt to build "suspense" for the figures, so we really won't know for sure until their bios start popping up.
Ziero01
Platinum Grunt

Postby Otter » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:55 pm

I don't feel like any of them belong to Xylonia's Flock... they're not forest-y enough.

Not sure where I'd put the ladies... Noble Bear?

But I guess the official line is that Flock members are "protectors of the elements of nature", of which ice could be considered. So it's possible.
Otter
Silver Grunt

Postby Ziero01 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:59 pm

The Noble Bear is mostly outcast and renegades fighting for the side of good, so it is possible both ladies are a part of the faction. But at the same time, the Noble Bear comes off as a newer, smaller faction that's slowly growing where it feels the ladies are more long term members of a group trying to warn the rest of their faction.

From the little video, it's made clear they already failed in the mission to prevent evil forces from obtaining the Soul Spiller. The ladies are escaping south to warn their host faction of the coming danger. I feel the Flock would more likely be the faction they intend to warn because lore and even figure wise, they're one of the biggest and most well established. There's also the fact that the Flock is home to both Elves and Dwarves, where as only a few Dwarves joined the Noble Bear, most of them being friends directly with key members. There's also the fact that the vast majority of the Noble Bear is made up of Barbarians or other "Barbaric" inspired figures (such as the gladiators) and neither of the ladies give off that 'barbaric' feel.

Though it's also possible each lady is a member of a different faction or something, because again at this point, it's all assumptions.
Ziero01
Platinum Grunt

Postby beast guy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:38 am

The Convocation would also make sense for the Thallyn and Ragna. Thallyn looks suspiciously close to a silver, or gray, elf from D&D lore. That is not much to go by. But I can picture her using frost enchanted arrows in place of spells.

Dwarf surnames tend to say something about the character in Mythic Legions lore.

Ironjaw = hardened warrior
Steelhide = tough warrior with hide suggesting more flexibility than iron
Shadowhorn = shadow of former self
Runeshaper = uses rune magic
Goldetooth = this one I would have guessed was a member of the Sons

Could this mean Stormforger indicates an ability to create and control storms?
Last edited by beast guy on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
beast guy
Platinum Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:35 pm

jscott991 wrote:
garyl wrote:They all look evil to me.

I would have guessed Thallyn was evil too.

Huh. She would have been one of the only ones out of the whole bunch that I would have said for sure was a good guy.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:06 am

JamesLynch wrote:
jscott991 wrote:
garyl wrote:They all look evil to me.

Huh. She would have been one of the only ones out of the whole bunch that I would have said for sure was a good guy.

Maybe I'm a simple guy but I always think that dark colors equal Evil and light colors equal Good.
Darren
Platinum Grunt

Postby jscott991 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:25 am

JamesLynch wrote:Huh. She would have been one of the only ones out of the whole bunch that I would have said for sure was a good guy.

I've always equated cold / ice / frost themes with bad guys. Also the pupil-less eyes and the eyebrows look a bit menacing on her (compared to the fairy queen in AoD or even Aza).
jscott991
Bronze Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:53 am

Darren wrote:
JamesLynch wrote:
jscott991 wrote:

Maybe I'm a simple guy but I always think that dark colors equal Evil and light colors equal Good.

Right, which is probably why I thought she was good. Her armor is light blue and silver, and her hair is white.

jscott991 wrote:I've always equated cold / ice / frost themes with bad guys. Also the pupil-less eyes and the eyebrows look a bit menacing on her (compared to the fairy queen in AoD or even Aza).

Like Iceman, Ice (from JLI), Frosta (from She-Ra), Frozone, or Queen Elsa? Even Killer Frost has been portrayed as morally conflicted for a while now.

Yeah, there are also a few villains with ice-themed powers I could rattle of the top of my head, but I guess I've never seen ice themes as inherently evil.
Last edited by JamesLynch on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby jscott991 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Well, Queen Elsa is the bad guy in Frozen. The movie softens her role, obviously, but the Snow Queen is the villain of the fairy tale.

Mr. Freeze, Iyraclea, Baba Yaga, the frost witch concept in general, and Killer Frost are what go through my mind when I think of cold powers. There are obviously cold-themed heroes too, but to me they don't resonate as much. Everyone's mileage may vary.

Thallyn also just looks menacing, in my opinion. The final paint apps could change her expression, of course, and soften her, but right now, I'm casting her as a villain.
jscott991
Bronze Grunt

Postby JamesLynch » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:42 pm

jscott991 wrote:Well, Queen Elsa is the bad guy in Frozen. The movie softens her role, obviously, but the Snow Queen is the villain of the fairy tale.

Esla definitely isn't the villain in Frozen, Hans is, with the Duke of Weaselton as a secondary antagonist. Elsa is the deuteragonist of the film. Yes, the Snow Queen was the villain of the original fairy tale, but the movie isn't particularly similar. That's like saying Gaston's not the villain of Beauty and the Beast because he wasn't the villain in the fairy tale (since the role didn't exist, the villains were Belle's jealous sisters who convinced her not to return to the beast's castle so that he'd die).
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby boogieman4hire » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:45 pm

Despite her icy visage Thallyn warms the cockles of allof our collective hearts with her kind demeanor and courageous actions.
boogieman4hire
Platinum Grunt

Postby jscott991 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:06 pm

JamesLynch wrote:Esla definitely isn't the villain in Frozen, Hans is, with the Duke of Weaselton as a secondary antagonist. Elsa is the deuteragonist of the film. Yes, the Snow Queen was the villain of the original fairy tale, but the movie isn't particularly similar. That's like saying Gaston's not the villain of Beauty and the Beast because he wasn't the villain in the fairy tale (since the role didn't exist, the villains were Belle's jealous sisters who convinced her not to return to the beast's castle so that he'd die).

I could talk about Frozen forever (which I consider both a highly overrated and highly underrated film, depending on what aspect of it is being discussed), but this isn't really the place. Elsa is most definitely (in my opinion at least) the main or at least the secondary antagonist in the story. She causes the main conflict that the heroes (Anna in particular) have to overcome and frequently opposes their efforts (to the extent of nearly killing Anna . . . three times if you count the childhood scenes, which I really don't). It's debatable whether she's evil or not, but she's definitely the opposing force (until the silly twist at the end). There's a lot to read about this out there that isn't really part of Mythic Legions. :)
jscott991
Bronze Grunt

Postby christianpyro » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:52 pm

JamesLynch wrote:
jscott991 wrote:Well, Queen Elsa is the bad guy in Frozen. The movie softens her role, obviously, but the Snow Queen is the villain of the fairy tale.

Esla definitely isn't the villain in Frozen, Hans is, with the Duke of Weaselton as a secondary antagonist. Elsa is the deuteragonist of the film. Yes, the Snow Queen was the villain of the original fairy tale, but the movie isn't particularly similar. That's like saying Gaston's not the villain of Beauty and the Beast because he wasn't the villain in the fairy tale (since the role didn't exist, the villains were Belle's jealous sisters who convinced her not to return to the beast's castle so that he'd die).

I heard that Elsa was supposed to be the bad guy in the film, but after the "Let it Go" song was written, they decided to make her good. Instead they developed Hans and the Duke's roles so that they were the antagonists.

I don't know how much truth there is to that, but that's what someone told me.

And this has almost nothing to do with anything... so... yeah... ;)
christianpyro
Bronze Apprentice

Postby JamesLynch » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:20 pm

jscott991 wrote:
JamesLynch wrote:Esla definitely isn't the villain in Frozen, Hans is, with the Duke of Weaselton as a secondary antagonist. Elsa is the deuteragonist of the film. Yes, the Snow Queen was the villain of the original fairy tale, but the movie isn't particularly similar. That's like saying Gaston's not the villain of Beauty and the Beast because he wasn't the villain in the fairy tale (since the role didn't exist, the villains were Belle's jealous sisters who convinced her not to return to the beast's castle so that he'd die).

I could talk about Frozen forever (which I consider both a highly overrated and highly underrated film, depending on what aspect of it is being discussed), but this isn't really the place. Elsa is most definitely (in my opinion at least) the main or at least the secondary antagonist in the story. She causes the main conflict that the heroes (Anna in particular) have to overcome and frequently opposes their efforts (to the extent of nearly killing Anna . . . three times if you count the childhood scenes, which I really don't). It's debatable whether she's evil or not, but she's definitely the opposing force (until the silly twist at the end). There's a lot to read about this out there that isn't really part of Mythic Legions. :)

Do you also think that Rogue was the villain of the first X-Men movie? Both are women who mostly just want to be left alone, with supernatural/superhuman abilities that they can't control, don't understand, don't want, and didn't ask for, whose lack of control causes mayhem and harm to those who try to get close to them. I mean, jeez, what other movie characters are villains then?
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Postby boogieman4hire » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:15 am

Elle woods Legally Blonde. She was cursed with being too fabulous. But she just wanted identity and not to be thought of as some dumb bimbo.
boogieman4hire
Platinum Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive