ML 2.0: Advent of Decay Quality Issues

ML 2.0: Advent of Decay Quality Issues

Postby edgs2099 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:05 pm

Now that the shine of "Newness" has tapered off, I'm trying to get a feel how widespread the issues I'm having actually are.

1. Tight/locked feet/ankles - This appears to be the most widespread issue so far. I will go out on a limb and say that every single one of my 2.0 skinny/female armor feet/ankles are frozen, one or both ankles.

2. On my set, the 1.0 spiked pauldrons do not fit into the figures backs for shit. Boarrior, Cavern Dwarf LB, Mandiblus, Gonxx. I can't tell if the pegs are malformed on the pauldrons, or if the holes on their backs are bad.

3. The pauldrons that come with Gadriel, are like...mushy. Like made out of a very mushy rubber. They won't even insert into her back. The peg just...mushes against the hole on her back and won't go in. So mushy in fact that moving the pauldrons around is causing the paint to crack on them. I haven't checked to see if it's just her or if it's that "model" of pauldron.

4. I have a Steel Knight LB and a VAmpire Knight LB that have a left leg that fell off immediately, and cannot be reinserted. The thick part of the peg that holds the leg in the crotch is either malformed or sheared off somehow.

Anyone else have anything to add to corroborate?
edgs2099
Silver Grunt

Re: ML 2.0: Advent of Decay Quality Issues

Postby christianpyro » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 pm

Issues I've encountered:

The peg on one foot of my dark Elf warrior isn't painted and hardly stays in the leg. It's very loose. I may have to try some nail polish or something to fix it and give it more grit.

My Balamm (the jaguar) had a forearm that wouldn't stay in the bicep. I noted there was some excess flashing on the forearm peg so I shaved it off, heated the bicep and was able to plug it in far enough that it was no longer an issue.

Missing the free Sword.

The wrists on the goblins seem pretty loose, they can't really hold the larger weapons without the wrist swivels getting a bit floppy. I may try the floor cleaner trick to see if that stiffens them up, or just give them light weight or two handed weapons.

All in all it's been a very good experience, but those were the few issues I've encountered so far.
Last edited by christianpyro on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christianpyro
Silver Apprentice

Postby christianpyro » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:36 pm

edgs2099 wrote:2. On my set, the 1.0 spiked pauldrons do not fit into the figures backs for shit. Boarrior, Cavern Dwarf LB, Mandiblus, Gonxx. I can't tell if the pegs are malformed on the pauldrons, or if the holes on their backs are bad.

Have you tried heating the hole (not the peg) with a hairdryer an then inserting the peg in? The heat makes the whole a little more pliable and makes inserting the peg manageable.

I have a copy of every figure you mentioned and was able to successfully attach their spiky pauldrons. Hopefully it will work for you too! :)
christianpyro
Silver Apprentice

Postby Cythagen » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:36 pm

I have a simple remedy for overly tight ankle joints which has worked on all of my 2.0 figures. I rotate (or, if necessary, remove completely) the ankle ball at the shin, so the figure's foot is pointing backward. The foot is then rotated 180 degrees at the rocker joint while moving the ankle hinge forward, so the foot is once again pointing "forward", while the ankle ball is "backward" (relative to its original position). The downside to this remedy is that it can shear off some of the paint on the disk within the hinged joint (a common complaint since 1.0); on the upside, this has fixed not only tight ankles on my 2.0 figures, but also loose ankles on my 1.0 Legions.

As far as other 2.0 QC concerns go...

A couple of my figures (most notably Lucretia) have a bit of looseness in the wrists. I'm not concerned about them detaching from the arm, but they do tend to "flop" when holding larger weapons. Several of my figures came out of the package with shoulders that didn't feel completely stable, but all I had to do was pull the arms out of the torsos and then pop them back in; I think some of them just weren't pushed all the way in during assembly.

There does seem to be an issue with the hip pegs holding securely. I noticed on my Deluxe Knight Builder test shot that the hole in her pelvis into which the left hip peg connects is just a little larger/looser than it ought to be. Nobody's legs are falling off, but a couple of my final-production figures' left hips do have a little extra wiggle.

The fit on all of the pauldrons is super tight. I was able to attach them to all my figures successfully, but they hardly move, and I recommend not fussing with them too much since no one wants the pegs to tear off. Ravaena's right pauldron had a random lump of plastic running the length of the peg to the inside of the pauldron which prevented it from attaching properly. Fortunately, I was able to remove it with a pair of nail-clippers, and now it fits as well as the other.

My two Vampire Legion Builders both have a bit of a "dent" molded into the front of their left thighs, just above the knee. It's more severe on one of them, but it's concealed well enough by the black paint and the top of the knee armor.

Finally, and most bothersome to me personally, is that Lucretia has come through production with an off-center "bump" on the top of her head, giving her cranium a rather odd and asymmetrical shape. I can't sand it down since her whole head is painted, so I stole someone's idea on Facebook and simply replaced her head with the closed black helm from the Vampire Knight.

So far I've only gotten my hands on thirteen AoD production figures and two AoD test shots, which is far fewer than many other people on the forums. That said, I am satisfied with the overall level of quality on this series. None of mine arrived with frozen joints or missing parts, and the paint on all of them has been damn near flawless.
Last edited by Cythagen on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cythagen
Bronze Grunt

Postby Nekk-ra » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:09 am

I also have a couple of 2.0 figures that have wiggle hips, but not so loose that they fall apart.

The biggest issue I've had so far is one of my Goblin LBs had it's neck peg snap when I tried to pull it out. Apparentally the paint on the peg had adhered to the paint around the neck hole and essentially glued them together.
Nekk-ra
Bronze Grunt

Postby edgs2099 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:18 am

christianpyro wrote:
edgs2099 wrote:2. On my set, the 1.0 spiked pauldrons do not fit into the figures backs for shit. Boarrior, Cavern Dwarf LB, Mandiblus, Gonxx. I can't tell if the pegs are malformed on the pauldrons, or if the holes on their backs are bad.

Have you tried heating the hole (not the peg) with a hairdryer an then inserting the peg in? The heat makes the whole a little more pliable and makes inserting the peg manageable.

I have a copy of every figure you mentioned and was able to successfully attach their spiky pauldrons. Hopefully it will work for you too! :)

I haven't yet, I only mention this as a quality issue as all of my 1.0 molds that use those pauldrons pop in and fit like a glove. I'll probably slightly, gently sand the insides of the holes with some fine grade sandpaper.
edgs2099
Silver Grunt

Postby PersonWhoIsJoe » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:46 am

I'm no expert on these, but I think the ankles are intentional to some extent. When I move them it feels like moving an extremely strong detented joint, ie a small ratchet without a spring. I think the locked positions may be intentional (as in, the ankles were designed to rest and hold in a set of certain positions), though MUCH harder to move than they thought it'd be. All of mine can be moved, but it takes an absolutely ridiculous amount of force.
PersonWhoIsJoe
Silver Grunt

Postby Holy_Wave » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Ordered over 20 figures.

All of my 2.0 body figures have ankle-lock.

Probably, I'm guessing, half the 2.0's had incredibly tight hip and shoulder hinges.

Even after loosening with heat, many of the joints "refreeze"

A couple have loose wrists.

At least three have had issues with shoulder and hip "peg wiggle". Don't know if I caused it or if its a quality issue.

The 2.0 hands seem too small for certain weapons.

The paints and sculpts/molds are virtually flawless.

This all probably sounds worse than it really is. I'm quite pleased with the figures. I just hope the 4H can communicate with the factory some of these issues and fix them for the Feb. preorder.
Holy_Wave

Postby Roland of Gilead » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:27 pm

when I opened Knubnik, I found that I can't seem to make his shoulder armor pegs squeeze in. Impossible in fact. Other than that he is amazing.
Roland of Gilead
Silver Grunt

Postby tigerq » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Twist ties damage the figures so badly .I hate those tie marks :|
tigerq

Postby Frikitiki » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Xylona came without the soft goods. Sucks cuz thats what made the figure.
Frikitiki

Postby LipSmack » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:19 am

Got one of my orders in today, pretty much all have loose hips, I do not understand this design, the tiny little hip peg does absolutely nothing to maintain friction and a tight grip, the force the leg applies to it is just too much, even with the measly 4 little notched they applied to the nub. I it honestly deflated me, all my excitement turned to regret, and i have more coming, really not happy. Like why do the knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows all have thicker, larger pegs, but not the hips? This should be day one stuff. It might be time to forgo some modularity for the sake of sturdier hips

Also ankles were all super tight but moved once brocken in, but I love tight joints. Wrists were also pretty loose, and gwendolyns knee disk was supper loose, mis mold or something.
LipSmack
Standard Grunt

Postby LipSmack » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:19 am

Got one of my orders in today, pretty much all have loose hips, I do not understand this design, the tiny little hip peg does absolutely nothing to maintain friction and a tight grip, the force the leg applies to it is just too much, even with the measly 4 little notched they applied to the nub. I it honestly deflated me, all my excitement turned to regret, and i have more coming, really not happy. Like why do the knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows all have thicker, larger pegs, but not the hips? This should be day one stuff. It might be time to forgo some modularity for the sake of sturdier hips

Also ankles were all super tight but moved once brocken in, but I love tight joints. Wrists were also pretty loose, and gwendolyns knee disk was supper loose, mis mold or something.
LipSmack
Standard Grunt

Postby worldwar_hulk » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:04 am

edgs2099 wrote:1. Tight/locked feet/ankles - This appears to be the most widespread issue so far. I will go out on a limb and say that every single one of my 2.0 skinny/female armor feet/ankles are frozen, one or both ankles.
Agreed.

christianpyro wrote:Missing the free Sword.
Same here.

christianpyro wrote:The wrists on the goblins seem pretty loose, they can't really hold the larger weapons without the wrist swivels getting a bit floppy.
Same here, but not specific to goblins. Seems to be a problem on many different figures for me.

Cythagen wrote:There does seem to be an issue with the hip pegs holding securely. ... Nobody's legs are falling off, but a couple of my final-production figures' left hips do have a little extra wiggle.
Same here.

Cythagen wrote:The fit on all of the pauldrons is super tight. I was able to attach them to all my figures successfully, but they hardly move
Ditto

Holy_Wave wrote:The 2.0 hands seem too small for certain weapons.
Agreed

tigerq wrote:Twist ties damage the figures so badly .I hate those tie marks :|
UUGGHHH!!! I'm so glad that someone else mentioned this too. So unnecessary, and so unfortunate.

LipSmack wrote: It might be time to forgo some modularity for the sake of sturdier hips
Agreed. For the sake of better figures all around, not just the hips. I know a lot of people enjoy the interchangeable parts. But this could always be done anyways if heat were required in order to disassemble, rather than just pull & pop apart play-ability.
On a side note, if changeable parts are the reason for "Rotating Elbows" opposed to Bicep Swivels, then please-O-please make this change sooner than later. And bring back double hinge knees & elbows for better range of motion... I may never shop for another brand of action figure ever again! lol

ON TO MY OWN ISSUES -
-Order was missing 2 figures,and the free sword.

-Not receiving an email response addressing the missing items.

-Faces of figures being scuffed up. Or any other body parts for that matter.

-This ties directly into the previous issue, but using White colored plastic that has been painted a different color.
If a figure has paint scuffed off, I'd prefer it to reveal a plastic color which is closer to the color of paint that was originally there. Not something drastically different colored.
Look at most of the joint discs. This is the proper method that I'd hope for. A plastic color is used that matches most of that area. Then paint is applied over. If the paint comes off, it's not too big of a problem, because it's revealing a similar color underneath. This not being done with the entire figure is a HUGE problem IMO.

-Might be a unique situation here, but my Xylona arrived with paint flaked off the antlers. And her left antler pieces are not glued together properly, which causes noticeable gaps, which have then collected too much darker paint wash, which causes those gaps to stand out even more. (I might contact 4H to try to resolve this one.)

-A decent amount of figures have different colored paint marks in areas they shouldn't... like way out of place. Not talking about line crispness. Just a dab of paint in an incorrect place. "Paint Slop" for the lack of a better term.

-Holes for capes being punched/cut too close to the edge of the cape. Leaving a few threads of fabric to stretch the hole over a wide peg. Causing the fabric to either break entirely, or be way too thin to last for years to come.

-Spiky gauntlet armor clashing into elbow pads.

-Necks sticking in head sockets when trying to swap heads. Becomes a real pain trying to get some of those necks separated from the heads.

All that being said.... I LOVE THESE FIGURES STILL!!!
They're absolutely amazing. They're not perfect. Sure they could be better in some areas. But they're still a ton of fun, and definitely some of my favorite pieces of artwork.

Four Horsemen, Thank you and please keep up the great work. Please do not take this post as a bunch of people merely complaining. It is constructive criticism. And the horsemen have always been great about hearing their fan's feedback and doing all that they can to accommodate. Overall I think most people tend to love these figures regardless of a few QC issues.
worldwar_hulk
Silver Grunt

Postby edgs2099 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:33 am

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love these things. The point of this tread isn't to shit on them. Maybe I'm naive, but if we can identify specific line wide issues, maybe the guys can move to remedy that for future releases.

Didn't they add more twisty ties after the initial 1.0 release due to a lot of face bashing/paint scuffing against packaging? I thought i read that they did.
edgs2099
Silver Grunt

Next

Return to Mythic Legions Kickstarter & Fantastic Exclusive