Gatchaman

Anime, Manga, Tokusatsu, Martial Arts, Culture, ETC.

Gatchaman

Postby EDcomics » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:38 am

Just to keep it contained...
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Re: Gatchaman

Postby EDcomics » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:43 am

So ok, as I said, I'm not a big Gatchaman fan... but I know what it is, at least. I know Yoshitaka Amano designed the suits, right? Along with Casshern and a few others, I believe...

Anyway, the new series... Gatchaman Crowds... I'm in the middle of the first episode. Gatchagrey seems to hate it, and I can see why. This really has nothing to do with Gatchaman, does it? It seems like the difference between Gunbuster and Daibuster, if anyone knows what I'm talking about. THAT was hard to swallow, so this....

... I actually like the intro. It seems like the concept has potential, but the Gatchaman connection is lost on me so far. Some high school kids (I'm so tired of the high school anime thing) were talking about a "TV special on the supernatural" that claimed Gatchaman was/were real? So this is supposed to be a different reality where Gatchaman exists as a TV show, but... *shakes head* It's not that I don't get the different levels of reality. I just don't get the connection. Of course, I should probably finish the first episode before continuing my ramble.

----------

By the way, did anyone read the Gatchaman comic book from the 2000's? Alex Ross cover art. I have, for some reason, multiple copies of the first issue with a holographic or holofoil cover. Some kind of exclusive. If anyone's interested, let me know. I should take photos.

-----------

Ok, finished Crowds episode 1... Wow. Even just as an anime series, it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not cohesive, and there are so many different themes that seem to be crammed in there haphazardly. I like some of the designs, but I'm not sure it's cool enough to keep watching. I probably will watch, though.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Tekwych » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:27 am

Where are you getting it? I also was told to stay away but now I may look it up.
Choose the things to fill your mind or the world will fill it for you.
Tekwych
Golden Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:49 am

Tekwych wrote:Where are you getting it? I also was told to stay away but now I may look it up.
I'll send you a PM.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:40 am

Just saw the first episode of "Crowds", and I enjoyed it.

However, other than the bird/arrow emblem and calling out "Bird-Go!", it has practically nothing to do with the original Gatchaman. I would consider this a new show with a borrowed name from an decades old success. Perhaps Tatsunoko is going to do this with all of their properties - Casshern to Casshern Sins, Gatchaman to Gatchaman Crowds, maybe we'll see the names of Hurricane Polymer and Tekkaman attached to something completely different in the future.

Anyway, if you're looking for a new generation/reboot of the original Gatchaman, it ain't here. If you can leave all of your expectations behind and want to watch a new animation, this could prove to be entertaining.
Save a Tree, Eat a Beaver.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:49 pm

If you're interested in stationery, collage and/or scrapbooking, this series may be for you!

*ahem*

I hope they don't continue to borrow names... but maybe that's the only way the creators can get their project budget approved... or something like that.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:17 pm

EDcomics wrote:I hope they don't continue to borrow names... but maybe that's the only way the creators can get their project budget approved... or something like that.

I agree and I think you may be right about budgetting.

Now, I just watched the first seven episodes, and I can't wait for episode 8 to air tomorrow.
It ain't the Gatchaman of the 70s, but I'm really enjoying this show.

And Pai (the alien panda guy) is BADASS (only if he could muster a little more courage).
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Man, you're an anime-watching beast! Lately I've only had that kind of time and stamina for One Piece catch-up (though those episodes only really have about 15 minutes of fresh content per ep). I've only watched the first two episodes of Crowds, but I do think there's something interesting going on. It's just so frenetic, and I'm sure a lot of the main girl's speech is not coming across properly in subtitles.

Back to the re-use of names... I can definitely see it happening. If a studio or young creator comes up with a proposal for a new series, these days the execs might not be too willing to take a chance on something new. We've seen it time and time again here in the USA with cartoons and toys. In a way it's kind of creative to use an existing property in a loose fashion in order to fund and produce a new series... but we were just discussing the negative side of that in the Kamen Rider thread. I'm sure that Fruit Samurai series might have been good on its own, but skinning it with Kamen Rider is a lot safer than competing with Kamen Rider, if that makes sense.

Still, you're always going to annoy a good chunk of the original fans of whatever franchise you're using as the skin.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Gatchagrey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:37 pm

hey maybe there is a cultural thing that dorkey is getting out of this that I just do get...

I have loved anime since before I knew even that japan was a country.. I watched battle of the planets and pretended to be Mark(ken) while my friend Jason played umm well Jason(joe)

I got up at 6 am on Saturday morning to watch robotech(macross/ southern cross/ mospeda )and voltron (go -lion/dairugger ) were just too cool...I loved sabre rider(bizmark) and starblazers(starblazers :D )

I cannot even tell you how many times I watched valley of the wind(nausica) when it came on HBO ..heck does anyone besides me rememvber Night Flight and their re-dubs of dyna-man

why do I mention this is because while gatchaman crowds may be a good show I just cringe thinking its associated with gatchaman at all...
and comparing casshern sins with this is I just do not see it..while casshern sins was a departure I just saw it as an alternative reality or something...Crowd is such a departure that even the logo you have to look hard to see gatchaman which even gets second billing to the crowds...
"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, its tactile, real!, They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations, A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some."
Gatchagrey
Silver Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:56 pm

Well... you're right. Ultimately, it seems unethical to use the Gatchaman name for this. The over-detailed hero suits simply don't resemble the originals at all, and only the bird theme seems to be a nod to the original. (Having said that, my mom had a pair of bird-shaped scissors when I was a kid, and I always thought they were cool, so it's fun to see basically that exact design in this series)...

... The parts I like about this show so far (two episodes in) are parts of the visual style (the patterns, environments, etc) and the ominous feeling surrounding their massive social network. I'm assuming that social network is where "crowds" comes from, since there's an emphasis on human interaction via smart devices. I also like the idea of introducing unconventional themes and topics such as... stationery, scrapbooking and collage. I mean... that's weird! And there's so much in just the first two episodes about those things. I expect more to come.

Still, it's a strange choice of subject matter. The collage party on the train in episode 2 (spoilers, sorry, but it's nothing big) is probably the moment where the characters felt most human. Outside of that, the frenetic dialogue and pacing are a bit hard to follow, and characters' behavior is so strange that it's hard to get a handle on things. At least, that's how it seems to me.

I'm a bit bothered by the nearly naked girl at HQ. It's really pushing the lolicon thing hard, and I guess I'm a prude on some level. The fruity male team member is sort of an archetype that reminds me of the mechanic characters from Tekkaman Blade and Gurren Lagann, but there's also been some awkward smooching that seems awfully out of place for something that seems to be aimed at kids. It's just "anything goes," I suppose, and I'm just an old man who can't get used to having this sort of stuff out in the open.

Anyway, I'll try to watch more episodes tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm curious to see where the show is headed. I'm not sure I LIKE it, but I'm curious.
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby Dorkey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:56 am

I think the key to enjoying "Gatchaman Crowds" for most of us is in our ability ignore the name and lose all expectations. Casshern Sins was a departure from the original and Crowds is a greater departure. If Sins wasn't out there, I'd probably have a tougher time adjusting to these differences, but Sins seems to have buffered the blow. Another thing is the fact that Kamen Rider keeps insulting the the original fans on an annual basis by coming out with new heroes that just feel wrong - and it took me a few years to get past the name there.

Slightly chnging the subject, this isn't exactly a kids' show. Seeing as it airs at 2 in the morning, I would say it is directed toward adult anime fans. And although adult anime fans are not necessarily into scantily clad female children, the creators probably thought this would help cover all of the bases.
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby Gatchagrey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:11 am

Dorkey wrote:I think the key to enjoying "Gatchaman Crowds" for most of us is in our ability ignore the name and lose all expectations. Casshern Sins was a departure from the original and Crowds is a greater departure. If Sins wasn't out there, I'd probably have a tougher time adjusting to these differences, but Sins seems to have buffered the blow. Another thing is the fact that Kamen Rider keeps insulting the the original fans on an annual basis by coming out with new heroes that just feel wrong - and it took me a few years to get past the name there.

Slightly chnging the subject, this isn't exactly a kids' show. Seeing as it airs at 2 in the morning, I would say it is directed toward adult anime fans. And although adult anime fans are not necessarily into scantily clad female children, the creators probably thought this would help cover all of the bases.

see my gatchaman is to your kamen rider.. I did not see many of the original stuff until after I saw many of the newer series so I didn't realize the "formula" was so different .. by that time I was use to different yearly shows from power rangers in the USA which were vastly different so all I thought was that kamen rider had to have a motorcycle...

may I suggest that you NEVER watch the American kamen rider show
"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, its tactile, real!, They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations, A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some."
Gatchagrey
Silver Grunt

Postby Dorkey » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:28 am

Gatchagrey, as I've mentioned (somewhere), I have come to grips with the fact that the Hesisei Riders are not true Kamen Riders (in my eyes) and I watch them as something completely different. I hope you can find a way to disassociate Gatchaman Crowds from the original Gatchaman and enjoy "Crowds" for what it is.

Gatchagrey wrote:may I suggest that you NEVER watch the American kamen rider show

I saw Dragon Knight, and thought if they could have continued, they may have had a better product in the end. Unfortunate how it got cancelled.

I heard that Saban did a hatchet job on RX, but I never saw that.

Did they show any of the other Riders in North America?
Dorkey
Bronze Grunt

Postby EDcomics » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:45 am

This should really go in the Kamen Rider thread, but here's Saban's Masked Rider. It's interesting that they included a clip from Kamen Rider ZO.

And this should go in the off-topic thread, but could you guys tell me what series these suits were from? As for the American show... man.... I don't know what to say:

------

So I haven't watched more of Crowds yet, but I rewatched the first episode. As we discussed, it's fine as a stand-alone series. It's just not even a variations of Gatchaman. It's something entirely different. Not like Gundam to Gundam Wing, or Casshern to Casshern Sins, even. It's just an entirely different story, reality, and concept.

If it airs at 2AM, you're right about it not being a kids' show. Very bizarre for an adult show, then. Oh well. Last night I got distracted by watching Blood Lad episode one. That's certainly not for kids.

Anyway, can we get a checklist of Gatchaman shows, movies and OVAs in here? If I want to get caught up, what all do I need to watch?
EDcomics
Platinum Apprentice

Postby JamesLynch » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:16 am

Big Bad Beetleborgs was taken from the Metal Heroes shows Juukou B-Fighter (for season 1) and B-Fighter Kabuto (for season 2, aka Beetleborgs Metallix).
JamesLynch
Silver Apprentice

Next

Return to Far East Connection